Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
Quick question about the Growler fitted to cars with ACC. What is it made of that attracts a dealer price of about $700 Canadian dollars?
Are there any alternatives?
Had an "incident"!!
Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
It has the radar sensor for the ACC. Maybe find one at a local scrap yard, ebay, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I have the pieces, I did a bit of an investigation. There are no electrical connections between the growler and the cruise control module (radar unit?) it is directly in front of. The growler is completely non-metallic. It is not conductive - none of the 4 layers conduct. The outer layer of clear plastic may be a lens of some kind but I doubt it. The thought is that a non-conductive growler, of known insertion loss value, is between the control module and the outside world. Knowledge of insertion loss of components one can control is typical of a radar system design - beyond the growler is airspace and a bunch of unknowns - rain, snow, dirt, all of which may hinder performance.
The marque forces the growler to be positioned where it is - upper middle of the grill. Not sure the control module needs to be behind the growler - it is just a convenient position.
A very expensive replacement item. Please take care of your growlers!
Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, the control module is mounted right there. One can see it when the growler is not! The growler pushes back in to the grill right in front of the control module, held by three clips. So, I suspect the non-metallic, non conductive growler is a known insertion loss quantity the control module knows about and calibrates to, to ensure the radar signals are within specification.
A standard metallic growler would inserted to high of an insertion loss and mess up the ranging and detecting for the radar. Also the metal surfaces would adsorb and reflect radar signals in all sorts of directions. It wouldn't work.
The only thing special about the growler is it is non-metallic and non conductive.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
That's most likely why the module and Growler are sold as a set per the part sites. The module is attached to the back of the grille with 4 screws.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bag Rectangle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi folks.
Quick question about the Growler fitted to cars with ACC. What is it made of that attracts a dealer price of about $700 Canadian dollars?
Are there any alternatives?
Had an "incident"!!
Thanks,
Tony
Dealer cost plus labour; and JLR is very proud. If you buy online and install it yourself you would be $100-300 depending on which badge you bought. If you have adaptive cruise then a radar is in it and drives cost up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer cost plus labour; and JLR is very proud. If you buy online and install it yourself you would be $100-300 depending on which badge you bought. If you have adaptive cruise then a radar is in it and drives cost up.
Hi Wile E. So I found the only part the growler plays in the radar and ACC is to insert a known insertion loss in the radar path loss calculation. It is not physically connected to the ASCM - the control module.
I've also found from a parts catalogue on a Canadian JLR dealer site that the parts are sold separately. See link

I've found that a useful site.
Tony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's most likely why the module and Growler are sold as a set per the part sites. The module is attached to the back of the grille with 4 screws.
View attachment 6046
I've found from a parts catalogue on a Canadian JLR dealer site that the parts are sold separately. See link

Tony

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've found from a parts catalogue on a Canadian JLR dealer site that the parts are sold separately. See link

Tony
massive win!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts