Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This one is very interesting on multiple levels. He's helping out a guy whose Model X has lost 35% charge over one week while parked at the airport while the guy is on a trip. The guy is in Vegas and on the phone with Nyland and he unlocks the car for Nyland and lets him drive to the charger in the garage. There is a freaking bank of chargers all with Teslas and Leafs and eGolfs as far as the eye can see. He gets the car to charge but he's unfamiliar with the new interface; see the memorable quote starting at 11:20 or so. There seem to be mysteries and buggy software updates for Teslas too ...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Phantom drain has always been a big issue with Tesla’s since the Roadster. They will drain down rather fast depending on model and brick themselves. By contrast the BMWs, the Bolt or Leaf will lose almost no charge if parked in temperature controlled garage for extended period of time. In fact I left those cars at 50% charge for optimal long term storage with no concerns, but I have to leave my Roadster in storage mode and plugged in. Even then I came back one trip to the car at 6% as it somehow failed to maintain charge.

·
Registered
253 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQWACtNIldQ

This one is very interesting on multiple levels. He's helping out a guy whose Model X has lost 35% charge over one week while parked at the airport while the guy is on a trip. The guy is in Vegas and on the phone with Nyland and he unlocks the car for Nyland and lets him drive to the charger in the garage. There is a freaking bank of chargers all with Teslas and Leafs and eGolfs as far as the eye can see. He gets the car to charge but he's unfamiliar with the new interface; see the memorable quote starting at 11:20 or so. There seem to be mysteries and buggy software updates for Teslas too ...
One of the pain points I had with my previous Model X was software v9. The previous version I thought was really good. There were some challenges getting to a feature and learning that there's no longer a push button, but an option somewhere within the touch screens UI. Version 9 took away some cool functionality, add in hand gesture features (didn't make sense to me), and disoriented Tesla users that had been used to previous version for a good amount of time. With version 9 Tesla made the assumption that all users would want the nav on 24/7 and that we didn't like flipping between the other apps and even selecting if we wanted the app on top or bottom. One of the things I like about the I-Pace is how they have physical buttons for things you may need and use regularly. Having to dive into menus and sub menus on a touch screen is distracting and frustrating. Also the ability to set up your own home screen(s) with whatever available features you want. Seeing how Tesla could completely revamp the UI like w/ v9, made me thinking how buying a certain car with features you liked initially can change. One min I was loving the UI and features available and with an over the air update I disliked it. I'm sure Jaguar will make UI changes in the future, but hope they keep the ability for us to set our own custom pages.

I too experienced the phantom drain on my MX. I fly regularly for work and would leave my MX at the airport for about 4-5 days at a time or even longer for vacation trips. Sometimes I would be able to hookup to a charger and other times not. When not hooked up to a charger I would come back to a noticeably different amount of range left on my car. Luckily there were superchargers nearby so I was too worried about it, but was always puzzled why so much battery would drain when the car is off. One thought was that the fan would run regularly to keep the battery cool on hotter days and man you could hear that fan from a pretty good distance away. Not positive, but I also think the heater would turn on to keep the battery warm in cool days, but I always had smart preconditioning off so I don't know.

I'm actually headed to the same airport today and am real curious how this trip will go. Pretty much my first longer trip in the car and there are chargers at the airport, but have seen them all full in previous visits. My car is displaying 210 miles of range right now and I did set preconditioning to occur around the time I think I will leave; haven't used this feature before. The airport is about 55 miles away. Initial thoughts is that I should have plenty of range to get there and back without a charge, but seeing how fast the battery drains I'm not so sure and also not knowing how much the battery would drain if I'm not able to plug-in.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also the ability to set up your own home screen(s) with whatever available features you want. Seeing how Tesla could completely revamp the UI like w/ v9, made me thinking how buying a certain car with features you liked initially can change. One min I was loving the UI and features available and with an over the air update I disliked it. I'm sure Jaguar will make UI changes in the future, but hope they keep the ability for us to set our own custom pages.
Have you experienced any issues with customizing your home screen? I'm asking because on the UK forum they seem to agree that setting up a profile most likely causes the blank screen issues etc.

I too experienced the phantom drain on my MX. I fly regularly for work and would leave my MX at the airport for about 4-5 days at a time or even longer for vacation trips. Sometimes I would be able to hookup to a charger and other times not. When not hooked up to a charger I would come back to a noticeably different amount of range left on my car. Luckily there were superchargers nearby so I was too worried about it, but was always puzzled why so much battery would drain when the car is off. One thought was that the fan would run regularly to keep the battery cool on hotter days and man you could hear that fan from a pretty good distance away. Not positive, but I also think the heater would turn on to keep the battery warm in cool days, but I always had smart preconditioning off so I don't know.
I wonder if connectivity functions (wifi etc) suck a bunch of energy. Is there a way to turn off all connectivity?

I'm actually headed to the same airport today and am real curious how this trip will go. Pretty much my first longer trip in the car and there are chargers at the airport, but have seen them all full in previous visits. My car is displaying 210 miles of range right now and I did set preconditioning to occur around the time I think I will leave; haven't used this feature before. The airport is about 55 miles away. Initial thoughts is that I should have plenty of range to get there and back without a charge, but seeing how fast the battery drains I'm not so sure and also not knowing how much the battery would drain if I'm not able to plug-in.
That seems pretty safe .. after all it's only 110 miles return trip, and temps are going be around 40-60F. I'd be shocked if the iPace lost ~5kWh per day, what could possibly cause that much energy drain? (I guess a battery heater could, but it's not my impression that the iPace does that, after all what's preconditioning for.)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Connectivity couldn’t possibly cause that much drain. I mean a phone has maybe a 10 Watt Hr battery and can have continues high connectivity for a few hours, and we are talking about losing tens of KiloWatt Hours (1000x as much), doesn’t make sense.

It may be over aggressive temp control circuitary in battery (the pumps run on my Roadster even when it’s sitting in a 65f controlled garage), or inadequate current cut off circuit designs throughout the car. The control and comm circuits wouldn’t register on a massive drivetrain battery, it has to be the primary systems.

Honestly to me it’s part of why I don’t buy Model S/X, there is a lot of not fully baked parts Huncousing using a giant touch screen as UI, the details of the suspension, interior detailing, capacitive door handles). On paper it sounds cool, but in practice the refinement of other cars is what really makes them shine.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
To go into Low Power Max savings while driving, do this:

To reduce parking lot losses, use your Jaguar Remote cellphone app, go to the Settings Page (4x right arrow), and you'll see Wake Up timer to keep your already low vampire losses even lower.

This is not to be confused with ECO mode that you select from the lower right console MODE buttons.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you experienced any issues with customizing your home screen? I'm asking because on the UK forum they seem to agree that setting up a profile most likely causes the blank screen issues etc.

I wonder if connectivity functions (wifi etc) suck a bunch of energy. Is there a way to turn off all connectivity?

That seems pretty safe .. after all it's only 110 miles return trip, and temps are going be around 40-60F. I'd be shocked if the iPace lost ~5kWh per day, what could possibly cause that much energy drain? (I guess a battery heater could, but it's not my impression that the iPace does that, after all what's preconditioning for.)
I haven't experienced any issues customizing the home screen. Main issues I've seen with the UI is lag after tapping on an option. Or when in setup after clicking back you go back to home instead of the page prior.
I wouldn't think connectivity would suck much energy or even be on when the car is powered off. To turn off I believe you just toggle to off for each connectivity option available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts