Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright everyone:

Not only I could snatch it under unbelievable discount thanks to the neighboring thread, but also drive from Fresno, CA to Chandler, AZ, ~630 mi in single stretch. Whole mission of saving private I. Pace took around 22 hrs from leaving the base for early morning flight, till parking it in garage. 6 charging stops.
Having long distance Tesla experience, I had rather careful expectations here, and initially planned 2 days with one more in reserve due to foreseeable charging issues. But turned out it's a rare occasion when reality pleasantly surprises. Charging was no much stress at all, and the car performed flawlessly, except the range wasn't any close to the claimed 282 mi even in ECO highway driving (would be a big surprise otherwise). Speed is a huge factor due to relatively high Cd. Adaptive cruise works much better than in Tesla BTW, although lane assist feels less reliable on curves and splits / mergers.

Few more observations:
  • CCS charging is a fcking Wild West with crazy prices and individual <often unfriendly> apps/procedures for each network; sometimes pricing hits 50% over equivalent gas;
  • ABRP was the #1 survival tool; good practice to double-check charger status over native app/map;
  • dealerships don't know about any networks outside of ChargePoint, tell strange stories, and are generally helpless from real life experience standpoint (should we start consulting them ?);
  • integrated navigation is useless for long trips/charging, can't even estimate battery SoC by the end of route; Edit: OK after SW update, finds alternative chargers no problem;
  • Electrify America does the job almost as well as Tesla Superchargers, is placed quite densely and strategically; other networks are hit and miss;
  • hotels with overnight L2 charging are unicorns, and no decent tool for finding them.

Anyway, long trips seem to be totally doable, and with L2 home charger on nightly $0.07/KWh plan, the car will definitely be anything but a low-mileage garage artifact.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Enjoy your new car. At the discount prices it is a great vehicle for the money. As usual, the horror stories about failures of CCS are very rare but real. Glad your trip was normal. I use PlugShare app or website to find L2 locations.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
9 Posts
  • hotels with overnight L2 charging are unicorns, and no decent tool for finding them.
Congrats on your new ride! Hotels.com has car chargers as a criterion in their search filter. Plugshare can also work, but I don't know how you'd filter for hotels specifically. Also, don't forget that you can buy an adapter that lets you use most non-networked level 2 tesla destination chargers. I keep one in my frunk for emergencies.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
905 Posts
  • integrated navigation is useless for long trips/charging, can't even estimate battery SoC by the end of route;
Congratulations!

I disagree with this bullet in your post (to a degree). It just takes getting familiar with the vehicle and the various options. On a long trip such as you took, I have the navigation set up in the upper center display with a large map of the immediate situation and a small map to the side showing the total route. You can have the total route shown as the main part of the navigation display if you prefer. The "total route display" (big or small) will show the guess of SOC at each stop and the destination (assuming your car has Infotainment software up to at least 19C (one year ago version).

The "to a degree" part comes from the guess is not always 100% accurate. In your case it would be more off than accurate. The car needs to accumulate statistics on your driving style. It will adapt the guess accordingly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it more as you get to know it more and it gets to know you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on your new ride! Hotels.com has car chargers as a criterion in their search filter. Plugshare can also work, but I don't know how you'd filter for hotels specifically. Also, don't forget that you can buy an adapter that lets you use most non-networked level 2 tesla destination chargers. I keep one in my frunk for emergencies.
Great pointers, thanks !
For Tesla destination chargers - how do you pay ? Or they're free ?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Very insightful observations and congratulations on the beautiful car.

I got my car from Haron in Fresno too, excellent service.
I drove it down to LA which was an easy 250 miles

Reactions: dcdrive

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I disagree with this bullet in your post (to a degree). It just takes getting familiar with the vehicle and the various options. On a long trip such as you took, I have the navigation set up in the upper center display with a large map of the immediate situation and a small map to the side showing the total route. You can have the total route shown as the main part of the navigation display if you prefer. The "total route display" (big or small) will show the guess of SOC at each stop and the destination (assuming your car has Infotainment software up to at least 19C (one year ago version).
It simply cannot locate chargers, saying there is no route. I have to find them with ABRP or something else, enter address into onboard navigation, and keep going point-to-point.
Otherwise, for display and local commute it's fine.
I think the deal with ChargePoint is slowly killing I-Pace. First they've removed L2 cable from standard package, now keep ignoring all other networks pretending that longer trips are not possible while they perfectly are. Audi is same way BTW with their E-Tron. Somebody needs to explain them that infrastructure support is #1 question now. Not many car buyers are looking for a range-capped grocery hauler for 80K.
BTW, I was wondering if part of my issues are attributed to outdated firmware (assumed it's alright as indicated range was 282), stepped out to check versions, and guess what - black screen. Trying to reboot it with quiescent current fuses now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very insightful observations and congratulations on the beautiful car.

I got my car from Haron in Fresno too, excellent service.
I drove it down to LA which was an easy 250 miles
Thanks !
Yes, quite pleasant experience with that dealership.
They even picked me up from the airport.
So our cars are basically cousins.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
9 Posts
Great pointers, thanks !
For Tesla destination chargers - how do you pay ? Or they're free ?
They're usually free for customers of the hotel/business. Some of the newer ones may be networked and may not allow use of a J1772 adapter. You can usually figure this out by looking at plugshare comments.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Alright everyone:
View attachment 4825

Not only I could snatch it under unbelievable discount thanks to the neighboring thread, but also drive from Fresno, CA to Chandler, AZ, ~630 mi in single stretch. Whole mission of saving private I. Pace took around 22 hrs from leaving the base for early morning flight, till parking it in garage. 6 charging stops.
Having long distance Tesla experience, I had rather careful expectations here, and initially planned 2 days with one more in reserve due to foreseeable charging issues. But turned out it's a rare occasion when reality pleasantly surprises. Charging was no much stress at all, and the car performed flawlessly, except the range wasn't any close to the claimed 282 mi even in ECO highway driving (would be a big surprise otherwise). Speed is a huge factor due to relatively high Cd. Adaptive cruise works much better than in Tesla BTW, although lane assist feels less reliable on curves and splits / mergers.

Few more observations:
  • CCS charging is a fcking Wild West with crazy prices and individual <often unfriendly> apps/procedures for each network; sometimes pricing hits 50% over equivalent gas;
  • ABRP was the #1 survival tool; good practice to double-check charger status over native app/map;
  • dealerships don't know about any networks outside of ChargePoint, tell strange stories, and are generally helpless from real life experience standpoint (should we start consulting them ?);
  • integrated navigation is useless for long trips/charging, can't even estimate battery SoC by the end of route;
  • Electrify America does the job almost as well as Tesla Superchargers, is placed quite densely and strategically; other networks are hit and miss;

Anyway, long trips seem to be totally doable, and with L2 home charger on nightly $0.07/KWh plan, the car will definitely be anything but a low-mileage garage artifact.
Congrats. You have taken the path that several of us have taken from MS to a 2019 I-PACE. This is definitely a "drivers car".

I read the earlier posts. The adapter that lets you use "most" Destination Chargers is called a TeslaTap. Get the one made in Calif. and read the I-PACE caveats. The other thing I have found useful is an insert for you cup holder(s) that make them not be "grabby". It is called a TAPTES Cup Holder Inserts Fit Most of Bottles Car Accessories for Tesla Model 3 Center Console Cup Holders - 2pcs.

Welcome aboard...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts