Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a first time for everything with this still new-to-me vehicle, and I got a ding-ding-ding and red screen showing hands, warning me to get my hands on the steering wheel.

The thing was, I did have one hand on the steering wheel at the time. I typically use two hands at roughly the 10 and 2 positions, but sometimes one hand close to the 6 position. That's what I was doing at the time of this alert (also, driving manually w/o adaptive cruise control. I always have full lane assist on.)

I thought the hands warning would be for both hands off, and only after double digit seconds of them off. Is it also triggered when using one hand, and/or is it specific to certain locations on the wheel?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The trigger appears to be at exactly 20 seconds regardless of speed IIRC.

Could have sworn I did the two basic tests:

Hands in normal position, fingers inboard, but don't physically touch the wheel.

Hands at 6 o'clock, and steer the car.

I thought method one works, but method two does not. I'll have to try it again. It's been months.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've extensively tested its behavior. It does not have sensors in the steering wheel anywhere ... it responds to slight steering input (torque).

Interesting. I feel certain I must have micro-steered at least a little with one hand at 6 o'clock, though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I frequently do one-hand autopilot. You just have to grip it "strongly" once in a while. Flex/squeeze and/or "fight" the steering control once in a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,352 Posts
I frequently do one-hand autopilot. You just have to grip it "strongly" once in a while. Flex/squeeze and/or "fight" the steering control once in a while.
Ah interesting. Maybe I didn't squeeze hard enough when I tested. Are you sure you don't also exert small torque when you squeeze?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts