Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many reports here have said, once I had the factory recall done, a 100% SOC showed I had 201 miles range on the GOM.

I don't charge that frequently (probably every 10 days or so), because my weekly driving is low. Still, I must have charged at least a dozen times since the software change at the dealer. That 201 range was constant.

Now, after a charge last night, it is showing 245 miles of range, with no apparent reason for that change. Obviously I'm not complaining, and my real world range may not have changed at all (I'll watch it to see), but I'm just curious how that happened.

I drive in comfort mode, but two charge cycles ago I did go to eco mode during one short drive. My impression is that a mode shift returns to the normal one after a power cycle. Is that so?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The GOM is a piece of software that has no connection whatsoever to your battery. The only battery information it uses is SOC %. The GOM is a glitchy, independent piece of software with no connection to anything real world, never look at it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GOM is a piece of software that has no connection whatsoever to your battery. The only battery information it uses is SOC %. The GOM is a glitchy, independent piece of software with no connection to anything real world, never look at it.
I understand that. However, it had a consistent number after the update for some months, and now that has changed (even as some here complain theirs has not changed from the 201).

So I'm curious anyway as to the reason (and if anyone else has seen this change).

·
Registered
9 Posts
2 weeks ago my GOM switched from 201 to ~282 miles range. I noticed I was not driving on the freeway during that stretch of time. When I drove again on the freeway, I lost 30+ miles of range. I charged the other day up to 86% and my range showed ~243. I still rely on the % battery charged, but interesting my range is higher now too.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
207 Posts
Guessing: Maybe your earlier 201 estimate was coming from data gathered during hotter summertime driving when there was a significant HVAC drain on your car. With more moderate temperatures likely in your area now, it's possible the car has observed consistently improved mileage and has decided to adjust for that. Maybe an analysis of your Journey data recently versus the summer would reflect that?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
850 Posts
Pick one or more:

A) It is adapting to your driving style
B) It is adapting to changes in the climate
C) It came up with a different random number due to the recent full moon
D) It's a holiday season gift from Jaguar
E) all of the above
F) none of the above

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had been sitting at 201 since S19B, however I forced the GOM reset with the two pedal method and it reset to above 234 miles and has been steadily resetting for the last 3 weeks to around 220. If you use the GOM estimates instead of SOC, then it might be a good idea every 2 or 3 months to do a reset, especially with weather changes. I would still encourage folks to look at the SOC or the gauge that looks like a ICE gas gauge.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is there a link to the 2-pedal reset method? Mine has been at 325km since I got it and it has not changed by 1km, ever.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Is there a link to the 2-pedal reset method? Mine has been at 325km since I got it and it has not changed by 1km, ever.
1) push the power (start) button once
2) push brake and go pedals simultaneously
3) watch the guess meter until it resets (about 10 seconds)
4) release the pedals
5) press the start button to shut off the car power

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pick one or more:

A) It is adapting to your driving style
B) It is adapting to changes in the climate
C) It came up with a different random number due to the recent full moon
D) It's a holiday season gift from Jaguar
E) all of the above
F) none of the above
It has been cooler recently. (Higher 70s to mid-80s, instead of high-80s to low 90s.)

So it may be the lower need for cabin cooling and perhaps less energy for battery conditioning as well. I have no idea why I didn't think of that, and thanks for the pointer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1) push the power (start) button once
2) push brake and go pedals simultaneously
3) watch the guess meter until it resets (about 10 seconds)
4) release the pedals
5) press the start button to shut off the car power
I accomplished that GOM reset pre-dealer recall update, and cannot accomplish it post-dealer update.

Reactions: McRat

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I accomplished that GOM reset pre-dealer recall update, and cannot accomplish it post-dealer update.
I did it just yesterday. On 19B. It went from around 211 miles as the max when I got it back from dealer feeding 19B into it last month (and they charged it to 100% on their charger) to 263 miles after the reset.

I didn't drive it today so I can't comment on the real effect.

A bigger concern is that Wattcat is reporting 100% is 80.55kWh now. It was 82 when I got the car back. It was 84 before I took the car in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went to my dealership about the 201 range issue on the GOM and not seeing the 19c SOTA, below is what they stated. I haven't tried it as yet. But can say since day 1 of my purchase I have always plugged it in at work to a 110 outlet immediately after my drive, it only adds 12 miles or so and will never reach 100% SOC as my drive is much further than 12 miles and it has not changed my 201 mile issue. The GOM started at something like 282 miles when I first purchased then dropped of regularly after a week and a half or so to the infamous 201 miles. Obviously a programing characteristic JLR programmers have been instructed to do which hopefully one day they will choose another programming option.

I do show there is an SOTA update available, so feel free to connect to your home wifi and perform the update. As for the 201 range issue, according to the notes its not listed in the “issues fixed in this release”. Also note new issues the patch may induce. My understanding is the 201 range issue is still under investigation, however I did have a client said he figured it. If you plug it in every time after you drive it, including if it was just 10 minutes, the range starts clicking up, he has gotten his up to 262 miles, he said he figured this out by speaking to someone how has a Tesla and that’s what they did when they ran into a similar issue. Give that a try, and report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did it just yesterday. On 19B. It went from around 211 miles as the max when I got it back from dealer feeding 19B into it last month (and they charged it to 100% on their charger) to 263 miles after the reset.

I didn't drive it today so I can't comment on the real effect.

A bigger concern is that Wattcat is reporting 100% is 80.55kWh now. It was 82 when I got the car back. It was 84 before I took the car in.
Upon a retry, the reset method worked as it had before. No idea what has changed if anything. I'm sure I knew how to do it, and I cannot account for the several failures before.

Your comment inspired my retry, so thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have never had an issue with reset. One thing to remember is that drive mode needs to be OFF. If you see READY on your dash, turn off the car and then turn back on keeping your foot off of the brake pedal. My GOM is currently at 265 after reset. I have the H264 update.
This is in ECO mode and climate set to off. Change the mode or turn on the heater fan and it will go down. Low power mode displays 270. Turning on the heater and setting the mode to Comfort displays 247. YMMV.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to update my post with more current info.

After retrying the reset and it worked, the GOM showed about 260.

Now one recharge later, after letting the SOC run down to slightly under 50%, it reads 282.

Sure, ultimately not meaning much, but I still find it interesting to watch these changes.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Just to update my post with more current info.

After retrying the reset and it worked, the GOM showed about 260.

Now one recharge later, after letting the SOC run down to slightly under 50%, it reads 282.

Sure, ultimately not meaning much, but I still find it interesting to watch these changes.
The dreaded 282. Hopefully yours is a coincidence versus an indication yours is now ‘broken’

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
So based on what I am reading the GOM means nothing... What is the best way to gauge/estimate my range?
The GOM may be accurate if your driving conditions and style are relatively consistent. I should say, at least it used to be. But somewhere along the way JLR tried to make it better and succeeded in making it worse.
Just pay attention to your fuel gauge (state-of-charge), just as I assumed you did in an ICE car. The only time your distance to empty is actually important is on a trip in which you believe you will come close to reaching 0% SOC.

On that trip, provided your conditions and driving style remain consistent, you can easily compute how far you can go based on that trips average consumption.

If you pay attention to your usual consumption under various conditions/driving style, you can then easily know how far you can go on a full ‘tank’

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
A saying about the ETA in a GPS is that "It is always right when you get there."

Our saying about the guess meter should be "It is always right when it reads 0."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts