Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange thing happen to me today, I was at 100% SoC when I left for a 140km round trip drive (70km each way). I started with the GOM saying 454km range left, I drove quite aggressively (as I do >:) ) and by the time the first half of the trip was done (70km later), the GOM said 320km left with (76% SoC). Not terrible I guess...

However, a few km into the trip back, I switched to check something on the Android Auto and when I came back to my home, I noticed the GOM had changed to 220km, this is just a couple of km after it said 320km!. By the time I got home, the GOM said 100km and a bit (don't remember exactly), and SoC was at 37%.

Does this seem normal? I didn't have range anxiety before, but this is not helping :crying:

·
Registered
997 Posts
What SG said. Can you get over 200 miles? Yes. Is 200 miles safe? Yes.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
I had a strange thing happen to me today, I was at 100% SoC when I left for a 140km round trip drive (70km each way). I started with the GOM saying 454km range left, I drove quite aggressively (as I do [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/img] ) and by the time the first half of the trip was done (70km later), the GOM said 320km left with (76% SoC). Not terrible I guess...

However, a few km into the trip back, I switched to check something on the Android Auto and when I came back to my home, I noticed the GOM had changed to 220km, this is just a couple of km after it said 320km!. By the time I got home, the GOM said 100km and a bit (don't remember exactly), and SoC was at 37%.

Does this seem normal? I didn't have range anxiety before, but this is not helping [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_crying.png[/img]
That indicates the algorithm has ‘kicked in’ and the car is adjusting based on your most recent driving behavior and environmental conditions. With my car the gauge became relatively accurate if no changes were made to the environment (wind/temp/terrain) or my style of driving. But still I generally ignored it, rather I focused on the ‘fuel gauge’ (state of charge) and currently averaged fuel consumption for the trip I was on. I could easily ‘guess’ how far I was going to make it. One of the users on the Forum (I’m on my phone so it isn’t easy to search back right) has built a simple spreadsheet that will do that for you. I honestly wish they would banish the distance to empty gauge to the dustbin until it is more functional

·
Registered
412 Posts
I honestly wish they would banish the distance to empty gauge to the dustbin until it is more functional
Yes. I would be much happier if the exact battery % were always shown instead of my having to leave the Media screen every few minutes and look at it, and the GOM can GO.

The "double the %" = your (highway!) range in miles is pretty close, but I find that to be a tiny bit optimistic at speeds over 70 mph (even in ECO mode!!). City range is ~20% better.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Yes. I would be much happier if the exact battery % were always shown instead of my having to leave the Media screen every few minutes and look at it, and the GOM can GO.

The "double the %" = your (highway!) range in miles is pretty close, but I find that to be a tiny bit optimistic at speeds over 70 mph (even in ECO mode!!). City range is ~20% better.
what would be best is if the 'fuel gauge' simply told you how much energy usable is currently available. Screw a percentage, give me the exact amount! I can't rationalize a reason the gauge wouldn't simply read '84.7kWh'.

·
Registered
427 Posts
what would be best is if the 'fuel gauge' simply told you how much energy usable is currently available. Screw a percentage, give me the exact amount! I can't rationalize a reason the gauge wouldn't simply read '84.7kWh'.
Don't disagree. Yet if you equate to an ICE, my gauges and estimated range don't really tell me how many gallons or liters I have left. I really only get estimated range or a gauge showing about a half tank. I'm okay with looking at the gauge or the % SOC as an approximate. The values of Kwh available for those of us that like to dump stuff into spreadsheets and analyze things.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Don't disagree. Yet if you equate to an ICE, my gauges and estimated range don't really tell me how many gallons or liters I have left. I really only get estimated range or a gauge showing about a half tank. I'm okay with looking at the gauge or the % SOC as an approximate. The values of Kwh available for those of us that like to dump stuff into spreadsheets and analyze things.
An old fashioned gas gauge is just that ‘old fashioned’ and in this day and age it would make sense for it to be updated to provide a relatively accurate amount of fuel left versus the traditional measure. Rather than adopting an outdated legacy form of measure for a new kind of fuel, how about just doing the smart thing right out the gate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An old fashioned gas gauge is just that ‘old fashioned’ and in this day and age it would make sense for it to be updated to provide a relatively accurate amount of fuel left versus the traditional measure. Rather than adopting an outdated legacy form of measure for a new kind of fuel, how about just doing the smart thing right out the gate.
Totally agree, at the very least it should show the % SoC in an exact number, not a "quarter-by-quarter" approximation ...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I disagree. Miles per KWH is only useful when comparing cars against each other. But, if you're driving THIS car today - showing 84.5 KWH doesn't tell you much info unless you already know that that's "full" for "this car". Or, if it shows you're at 41 KWH and you want to charge to 80% - that's 68 KWH - and you're left having to do the math vs. it's at 48% and you are headed to 80%. That's easier to digest. (Did those numbers quickly as estimates in my head, so don't be surprised if I'm not precise, but you should get my point).

So, for me - The battery % is what you would care about, and knowing your recent miles per % are what you need to estimate range. And, the beauty is that this method/thinking works no matter what car you're driving. It's really mentally equivalent to knowing your gas car's mileage looking at a gas gauge.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
So, for me - The battery % is what you would care about, and knowing your recent miles per % are what you need to estimate range. And, the beauty is that this method/thinking works no matter what car you're driving. It's really mentally equivalent to knowing your gas car's mileage looking at a gas gauge.
To each his own. One problem in having only a percentage is you really don't know a percentage of what. Is it the percentage of the 90kWh battery or is it the often quoted 84.7kW 'usable capacity or the 82-83kWh that others have computed is actual usable or is the percentage computed on actual battery capacity (which seems to be the case)? For those that have discovered they have a bad battery (and for those that still have no idea they do) it would have certainly been helpful to know actual usable versus a computed percentage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would significantly prefer that the mileage guesstimate in the instrument panel be replaced by the state of charge. Whether state of charge was reporting percentage of battery left, or the actual USABLE KwH (do not tell me I have 30 KwH left if the car will not allow the car to drop below 5 KwH left in the battery, the remaining battery available to me to use should be reported accurately, regardless of whether the percentage is reported or the actual KwH left) matters not to me. Having to exit out of the nav screen, or media, to get to the EV screen to see something as critical as the state of charge is absolutely ridiculous. Get rid of the totally useless, and in some cases outright dangerous GOM mileage and let me see CONTINUOUSLY in the instrument panel the actual battery capacity left.

In ICE cars I have owned in the past that indicated miles to empty, that was never accurate, but I could always look at the fuel gauge and see how much of the tank capacity was left. The I-Pace should be no different, let me see what is left in the battery, or tank, that is available to me to decide how to use for the purposes of my trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts