Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the almost 2 years that I've owned my 2019 I-Pace, I've taken at least a dozen trips between Seattle and Portland, and I've consigned myself to the realization that on the best of days, I might be able to get ~220 miles of highway range on a 100% charge (the worst was 175 on a particularly cold winter day). Even with in-city driving, I've had a difficult time breaching 240 on a single charge. So it totally blew me away when I got to Portland a few weeks ago (~180 mile journey) with over ~35% SOC, and I was able to very closely match it on my return trip. This journey warranted special attention for a number of reasons; please bear with me as there's a lot to unpack. I took a number of pictures of my state of charge and trip statistics through the duration of both trips (90%, 75%, 50%, and ~35% when the highway portion of the trip ended).

Please note that a some of the parameters that I ended up testing with weren't intentional for a range test; I meant to test lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control after an collision that caused sensors to be replaced. After I saw the consumption figures of the first 10% on the first part of the trip, I turned it into a range test and constrained the parameters for the return trip to see if I could reproduce the results. Another (perhaps) notable thing I changed from my in city driving: my audio settings. I typically have the bass turned way up in the vehicle.

Vehicle Details:

• 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
  • Factory 20" Tires
  • Odometer start: ~10600 miles
  • TCU Version: 17.2

Commonalities between both trips:
  • Departure from a Level 3 charger
  • 100% SOC
  • No stops
  • 1 Passenger
  • 1 Attached phone (using Android Auto)
  • Adaptive cruise control (with lane keeping active) set at between 64-67 MPH for 95%+ of duration of the trip
  • Adaptive CC distance set to max (to reduce potential for drafting)
  • Average highway travel speed was ~60 MPH
  • Eco mode
  • Daytime travel
  • Climate controls off

Trip differences:
  • Departing trip distance: 176 mi
  • Departing trip average speed: 54 mph
  • Return trip distance: 183 mi
  • Return trip average speed: 58 mph
  • Return trip used a different highway at the beginning of the trip
  • Return Trip had an extra ~300 lb cargo load
I'll let WattCat do the talking from here:
World Map Atlas Screenshot Font
Map World Screenshot Font Atlas

Observations:
  • I never really used adaptive cruise control in previous ICE/Hybrid cars (F-Pace, BMW 3 series, Ford Escape) as I found I got better mileage when I had full control over the car; I (wrongly) assumed the same to be true with the I-Pace. I've been utilizing adaptive cruise control more often since these two trips and it seems the I-Pace to be far more efficient than I am on common routes I take.
    • I've noted that the instant kW/h consumption gauge seems to fluctuate much less with CC on; it tends to fluctuate more (and with larger swings) even on level roads where I'm holding steady speed when I'm in control. I wish there was a way we could see a graph of instantaneous kW/h consumption to validate the observation..
    • My only gripe is how aggressively it accelerates when the car in front changes lanes.
  • The active lane centering with Adaptive CC on is incredibly tight and accurate. I didn't use it much when I first bought the car as it seemed a bit wobbly. I'm not sure if I got updates, or if my memory was off on how effective the functionality was. I didn't keep an accurate count, but it disabled itself only a few times during the entire highway portion of the journey, and usually as I passed odd offramps (the feature usually kept itself centered as I passed offromps).
Hypothesis:
  • Speed should be limited to ~65 mph for best highway range. (My previous trips have typically been above 70)
  • Adaptive CC should be enabled for the duration of the trip (my attempts to use some hypermiling techniques I used on previous vehicles don't seem to improve results on the I-Pace)
I'm taking another trip down to Portland next week; the only variable I plan to change is climate control. I've noted some others suggesting that they get better results with standard mode vs Eco, so I may change that variable as well. It was encouraging to see that others seem to be having somewhat of a similar experience; I was beginning to think maybe some weight was shed as a result of the accident.

Input welcome.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Yes. At mild temps, speed is the biggest determinant of range. At 65mph, drag is a full one quarter less than at 75mph.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. At mild temps, speed is the biggest determinant of range. At 65mph, drag is a full one quarter less than at 75mph.

Fair, and thanks for that input- I didn't realize there was that dramatic of a difference in terms of drag. Even still, I'm not sure this fully accounts for the difference for a few reasons:
  • I-Pace is supposed to get 44 kW/h on the highway. I beat that by ~33% on my first trip (the second trip was likely closer to 25% difference due to the increased weight).
  • I started digging into previous trips with the same route, and I had a hard time beating 37-38 kW/h even during ideal temperatures and a relatively close average speed (~60 mph). A few of those trips were made with climate controls off (I prefer the windows down whenever possible), but at this point I can't recall all the variables that might have been different to really certify if those trips are comparable.
Given your input, I'm considering increasing the speed to 70 mph (if possible) and keeping climate off to see what difference that makes. Depending on PNW weather volatility, I may be travelling in 60 degree weather next week without rain, which is within ~5 degrees of my last travel temperatures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve got some experience that may be relevant here. We have a place 215 miles from our house, door to door. We’ve made the round trip in our 2019 I-Pace HSE probably 30 times.

We are about 1.5 miles from the expressway, and our route is all expressway (suburban and rural, 55/70mph speed limits) until about 60 miles out when it shifts to two-lane highways. There is a level 2 charger in Champaign, Illinois that we stop at if we need to. (If conditions are really bad, we’ll take a different, longer route with a Level 3 charger in Normal, lll.)

On the interstate and tollway, we keep the adaptive cruise control at 70mph. Once we’re on the two-lane highways, we keep it at 64mph. The I-Pace is in eco mode, and we keep the fan at 1 or 2, as we notice a range drop when turning it above that.

The best we’ve ever done is to depart showing 256 miles of range (in eco) and arrive with 26 miles of range. The worst? Driving into a 20mph headwind, spending 90 minutes at the Level 2 charger, and hitting 0 miles of range 3.5 miles from our place. Most commonly, we’ll arrive with 10-15 miles of range remaining. Air temps can be anything from 20°F to 90°F, with the best range coming in the 60-80° range. Keeping the speed at 70 or lower is also crucial. The speed limit for over half the drive is 70mph, and it feels a bit unsafe to go much below that. Also note that Illinois is flat. Very flat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts