Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
342 Posts
I'm still wondering why a ceramic coat is desirable on top of a self-healing PPF. Here's my thoughts:

When heated in even just outdoor sunlight self-healing PPF will heal over light scratches and swirls and restore itself to a smooth surface. I can confirm this worked well with the SunTech Ultra PPF I used. The dealership that sold it to me for my Porsche had a test you could do. They had a small sample piece of painted "hood" and a brass brush. You could use the brush to visibly scratch the PPF. Once scratched, they had an IR heat lamp to heat the surface. With your own eyes you could watch the PPF heal itself back to a nice gloss in around 30 seconds or so.

So then why do you need to add scratch-resistant ceramic coat on top of that? It just seems like an unnecessary extra expense. I've used both and like both in their place, both help prevent minor scratches and swirls and both make bug splat removal much easier. I have full-body ceramic coat on the I-Pace and it seems to do well. But it certainly doesn't protect against chips from small gravel like PPF does, yet full body PPF is very expensive. It was just shy of $5k on the Porsche. So a reasonable approach in my mind is to use the expensive PPF in forward facing chip-prone areas and more cost-effective ceramic coating everywhere else... but again... I don't see the need to use ceramic on top of the PPF since it can just take care of it's own scratch resistance and healing.

By the way, with bigger deeper hits even PPF will take damage that does not heal, but it will usually protect the paint underneath it from chipping. Then it can be removed and replaced by the piece if the damage is enough to bother you.

Here's a YouTube video of someone demoing the self-healing of the XPel PPF equivalent of the Suntek Ultra I used... it's pretty amazing:
I'm hearing that the PPF might not have UV protection, but the ceramic coating does. In that case, the paint could possibly age differently and cause a slight change in color when comparing the two areas? Not sure, even if true, it would be something that could be noticed and be a real problem. I'm guessing not.

I also just read that the car's original clearcoat should have UV protection, which would minimize or eliminate this concern.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
342 Posts
I haven't heard much about Xpels coating. Please post what they are offering to get a better understanding.
The more layers, the longer it last, better protection, deeper the shine.
Warranty is usually based on the installer, so they require an annual inspection and if necessary, a reapplication.

Ceramic Pro doesn't last that long even though they claim 3 years. In reality its a year, with a lighter application that's applied as time goes for the warranty.
The installer is very important
This is the corporate "propaganda page" for the XPEL ceramic coating. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
I went on a 300 mile round trip to the mountains on Tuesday and ended up with a nice entomological collection on the kitty's front. Since then it baked on a bit (car is always outside) and today I tackled the mess.

Thanks to the vinyl front covering and ceramic coat I had put on a couple months ago it was much less of a chore than I had feared. I only used water and microfiber towels.

·
Registered
994 Posts
This is the corporate "propaganda page" for the XPEL ceramic coating. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Hard to tell from the marketing materials. The difference is durability and depth of shine.
The coating dealers put on are notoriously the worst and only last 6 months

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been trying to get info on where to get it done and what to use etc, but the info has been little overwhelming and then Covid happened, so I temporarily halted my research. Just yesterday, I received an email from my BMW dealership saying that they can do Ceramic coating on any vehicle at their collision center and this is what it says:

1. A ceramic resin coat is applied to all surfaces of the vehicle
2. A ceramic coating is applied to the wheels
3. A ceramic coating is applied to all trim and rubber moldings

Pl. let me know if this is what I should get or what details do I need to understand first.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have been trying to get info on where to get it done and what to use etc, but the info has been little overwhelming and then Covid happened, so I temporarily halted my research. Just yesterday, I received an email from my BMW dealership saying that they can do Ceramic coating on any vehicle at their collision center and this is what it says:

1. A ceramic resin coat is applied to all surfaces of the vehicle
2. A ceramic coating is applied to the wheels
3. A ceramic coating is applied to all trim and rubber moldings

Pl. let me know if this is what I should get or what details do I need to understand first.
It's not uncommon to coat the wheels, windows, plastic.
Whats most important is the quality of the coating, how many layers, warranty, prep and cost.
Dealers and body shops use the cheapest coating for the most part

If your coating starts to lose its durability, who is responsible for reaplying under its warranty period? What will they use? A light coat or a the heavy duty coating?
Do they require maintenance washing with the installer to honor the warranty? Is there a charge to maintain it?

What brand do they use?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Whats most important is the quality of the coating, how many layers, warranty, prep and cost.

If your coating starts to lose its durability, who is responsible for reaplying under its warranty period? What will they use? A light coat or a the heavy duty coating?
Do they require maintenance washing with the installer to honor the warranty? Is there a charge to maintain it?

What brand do they use?
Thanks @PS702

I just talked to the manager and here is what he told me:

2 layers; second layer is thicker than the first, 7 year warranty, ~$900
Brand: ECP - Entire Car Protection
No maintenance required by the installer.

·
Registered
994 Posts

What brand do they use?
Thanks @PS702

I just talked to the manager and here is what he told me:

2 layers; second layer is thicker than the first, 7 year warranty, ~$900
Brand: ECP - Entire Car Protection
No maintenance required by the installer.
That's a really low price. Not that expensive is always better, but it comes down to hours spent on the car.
From what I see with ECP, it's a spray on solution, with a clay bar to help the application process.
This a very fast process which makes it less expensive than other ceramic coating solutions.

Just to prep the car should take hours. Even from the factory, the paint will require a correcting before the ceramic coating process even starts.
True ceramic coating isnt just for its hydrophobic properties, it's a sacrificial layer of clear coat.
If you just want to show hydrophobic properties, you can use Mcguires hybrid ceramic wax for $15 to get those results

I would find a professional detailer and get estimates to compare.

It's like washing your car. You can go to a drive through car wash or you can get a professional detailer to spend 100 hours on your car to have zero orange peel.
It all depends on what's acceptable to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Paint is thin and soft on the I-Pace, so it a very good idea to get PPF at least on the front bumper. There templates available for our car.
I'M a big fan of protecting as much as possible, but it gets costly.

I used PPF on the front bumper, ceramic coating everywhere else because my cars a lease
Just curious why you would do this for a lease? These cars lose value so fast id never worry about chips or scratches.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just curious why you would do this for a lease? These cars lose value so fast id never worry about chips or scratches.
I like the car to be perfect while I have it. I have a habit of focusing on the flaws of a car

Reactions: I-Pace

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's a really low price. Not that expensive is always better, but it comes down to hours spent on the car.
From what I see with ECP, it's a spray on solution, with a clay bar to help the application process.
This a very fast process which makes it less expensive than other ceramic coating solutions.

Just to prep the car should take hours. Even from the factory, the paint will require a correcting before the ceramic coating process even starts.
True ceramic coating isnt just for its hydrophobic properties, it's a sacrificial layer of clear coat.
If you just want to show hydrophobic properties, you can use Mcguires hybrid ceramic wax for $15 to get those results

I would find a professional detailer and get estimates to compare.

It's like washing your car. You can go to a drive through car wash or you can get a professional detailer to spend 100 hours on your car to have zero orange peel.
It all depends on what's acceptable to you.
He mentioned that it takes them a full day to get it done. Also it's typically $1500, but due to Covid, they are not busy and wanted some cash flow.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
I would look at the 7 year warranty fine print. I'm a bit surprised that no maintenance is required; if that's the case it's almost like a clear coat paint? It does sound like a good deal and heck, $900 is not bad and if it's no good after say four years it's still worth the money ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would look at the 7 year warranty fine print. I'm a bit surprised that no maintenance is required; if that's the case it's almost like a clear coat paint? It does sound like a good deal and heck, $900 is not bad and if it's no good after say four years it's still worth the money ...
That's my thinking as well (about the protective coating lasting for 4-5 years) and since it's owned by the BMW dealership, I am guessing that it can't be all that bad and some what legitimate in what they are saying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my own perception, it doesn't matter about the price..what matters most is the quality of the product. If it will last for how many years.:unsure:

·
Registered
2019 HSE, Santorini Black, Light Oyster, HUD, Adaptive Dynamics.
12 Posts
I just got Silver Ceramic Pro on my black cat, and it looks phenomenal. As far as what I was told, they put that coating everywhere. Why would you also need paint protecting film? (Also, what is that?)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 3M PPF on the front, hood, A pillars, side mirrors, rocker panels, and sides all the way back to and including rear passenger doors. In FL, a lot of bugs, sand, and small rocks impact exposed areas especially on the highway and I was concerned about things hitting the doors while parked. I've been happy with it. Without looking closely, you can't even tell the car has a film on it. I have washed many thousand bugs off the film. It also took rather large chunks of hail like a champ. My only gripe is that I didn't spend the money to do the rear and promptly scratched it via clumsy ladder impact while it was parked in my garage.

Ceramic pro makes the car shiny but provides no protection against impacts and scratches. That's why I went with PPF instead.

·
Registered
2019 HSE, Santorini Black, Light Oyster, HUD, Adaptive Dynamics.
12 Posts
Ceramic pro makes the car shiny but provides no protection against impacts and scratches. That's why I went with PPF instead.
So, according to my detailer and the website:
Ceramic Pro once cured, is measured to have hardness above 9H. The increase in the hardness of the coated surface is vast. This makes it the hardest paint coating on the market today. This new glass shield prevents minor scratches to your clearcoat and acts as a sacrificial layer.
Any surface scratches that happen in the coating are easily removed with light polishing which will not weaken the integrity of the original clear coat. With Ceramic Pro your paint won’t fade or age due to the UV protection in the glass coating. All of this allows for more peace of mind and a fuller enjoyment of your vehicle, even in harsh environments.
Glossy, slick and self-cleaning This nano technology allows the Ceramic nanoparticles to fill the smallest pores in the paint which makes the Ceramic Pro glass shield shiny, smooth and extremely slick or hydrophobic. Ceramic Pro dramatically lowers the surface tension preventing environmental contaminants such as: bird droppings, bugs, dirt, tar and graffiti paint from bonding to the surface. Water easily removes dirt from the surface by encapsulating it while rolling off the surface.

I haven't heard of the film before, but if I don't get my 5 year protection, I'll look into the film.

·
Registered
2020 Firenze Red SE, 9/2019 Build
34 Posts
So I did a lot of research and asked a lot of people about PPF for my I-Pace and have decided for me that the full car PPF with hydrophobic properties is the way I'm going to go. At first I was going to go with front and rocker panel coverage but on my way to one of the shops for an estimate, I got some rock chips from the highway construction. The car had ~200 miles on it at the time. I spoke to the shop and they said they could do some minor paint corrections there but I figured I'd at least see what my insurance would cover. I ended up getting a new windshield, passenger headlamp, front bumper parts and repaint / blending in some spots. My deductible is $150 for several thousands worth of repairs so I went ahead and had it done through ins. Took a month to get a new windshield to come in but my car was in the shop for about 2 weeks once it came in.

I just agreed to $5000 for STEK PPF on the full car vs partial coverage. I know I'd regret not getting the whole car done at once if I went only partial now or tried to add-on later. Avg price in my area is $6500-$7500 but the owner of the shop I'm going with is giving me a deal. I have an install appointment on 1/18 and should take about a week. I'm also getting the side and back windows tinted for another $350.

I'm attaching photos of the teardown for anyone interested in seeing what the cat looks like during and after repairs.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts