Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw some advertising for a 'clear bra' kind of front end protection. It covers all non-glass surfaces in front of the doors-- the fenders, the hood and scoop, the nose, etc., plus the front facing housing of the rear view mirrors. It's custom laser cut for many vehicles and including the I-Pace, and I decided to look into it.

They linked to a local service shop that is their outlet, and I got them to install that PPF and also a ceramic coating all around.

They've been sending me short videos during the phases of the install, and it looks very good in the shop lights. High gloss and very reflective. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning and I'm excited to see it in daylight.

·
Registered
769 Posts
What brand of ceramic coating? How many layers?
The good news is that the I-Pace does have a template for the PPF. It helps a lot for how it fits on the car

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
I really want to do this ... it almost seems like the plastic bumper on my car does not have any clear coat on top of the paint, which makes the dirt kinda stick.

Please share more info on this, and is there anyone in the Bay Area that can recommend a shop for this sort of thing?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
I used Transparent Bra / JG Audio & Alarm in Berkeley to install 3m Pro PPF for all the leading edges + rear bumper. They did great work, and managed to get it done in a day. For some reason their website isn't loading for me, but they have a Facebook page. Looks good, and definitely helped on my trip to AZ for Christmas.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really want to do this ... it almost seems like the plastic bumper on my car does not have any clear coat on top of the paint, which makes the dirt kinda stick.

Please share more info on this, and is there anyone in the Bay Area that can recommend a shop for this sort of thing?
This particular paint protection film is from XPEL, and their authorized installers can be searched at their web page, here: XPEL Clear Bra Installers | United States | Florida

Ceramic coatings can be done by any shop, I imagine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What brand of ceramic coating? How many layers?
The good news is that the I-Pace does have a template for the PPF. It helps a lot for how it fits on the car
I'll get the ceramic information tomorrow on pickup. For some reason I think it was 3 layers, but IDK.

Edited to add: The ceramic coating is an igl product (find at iglcoatingsusa.com). It is apparently a Cambodian company or product, originally. (Wha?)

It was one or maybe two layers. The representative told me the idea that a whole lot of layers was better was just a marketing myth made popular by the Ceramic Pro line of products. He said the solvents that make up most of the liquid don't bond to themselves, and the extra layers end up being rejected by the first layers (not adding to them).

Is he right? No idea. He used to do work for the Lambo dealer exclusively before getting his own shop, and was working on a 2020 Lambo Aventador 2020 Lamborghini Aventador Review, Pricing, and Specs when I picked mine up. A little amusing gossip from him was that Lambo ships with a lot of needed paint corrections, a slight shock to hear considering the very premium cost!

·
Registered
769 Posts
It's a very good idea to get PPF & Ceramic Coating.
For those that purchased their car, I would get a 5 year coating to protect the paint as long as possible.
PPF is also very important to prevent rock chips and scratches. The more places you put the PPF, the better

I would caution against using Ceramic Pro (most commonly used). It doesn't last as long as Other brands.
When you see it has a warranty, it usually means the installer will just put a lighter coat (Sport coat) as protection.
Also any qoute you get must include the proper paint correction stages. A Ceramic Coating is a sacrificial layer, but the paint underneath must be as close to perfect as possible. This portion is what can change the price so dramatically

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a very good idea to get PPF & Ceramic Coating.
For those that purchased their car, I would get a 5 year coating to protect the paint as long as possible.
PPF is also very important to prevent rock chips and scratches. The more places you put the PPF, the better

I would caution against using Ceramic Pro (most commonly used). It doesn't last as long as Other brands.
When you see it has a warranty, it usually means the installer will just put a lighter coat (Sport coat) as protection.
Also any qoute you get must include the proper paint correction stages. A Ceramic Coating is a sacrificial layer, but the paint underneath must be as close to perfect as possible. This portion is what can change the price so dramatically
I was quoted the ceramic coating without their seeing the car or how much paint correction they'd have to do.

However, he did ask the model year and how it looked in general. (And a low mileage 2019 looked good to my eye.) He did later say they had to do 'a lot of' paint correction when I picked it up, but the charge remained the same for that part of the service.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was quoted the ceramic coating without their seeing the car or how much paint correction they'd have to do.

However, he did ask the model year and how it looked in general. (And a low mileage 2019 looked good to my eye.) He did later say they had to do 'a lot of' paint correction when I picked it up, but the charge remained the same for that part of the service.
Even new off the lot with no miles will need pain correction. Our paint is very soft so just the dealer washing it will cause marring. I wont let the dealer wash my car, ever

Glad it all worked out. Do you notice a difference in the look? Ceramic coating looks different to a wax. Wax is warmer, not as synthetic looking. I personally love how ceramic looks

Please post pictures

·
Registered
165 Posts

If you are primarily interested in getting the surface to be much easier to clean and resistant to swirl marks, you can use a ceramic coating. You can even do this yourself if you are confident that you will be very diligent in following the application guidelines. I did this myself on the I-Pace and took a good part of the day working through the steps properly.

The only real hazard is if you get careless. If you put on too much and let it dry too long before buffing it off, it can result in a haze that has to be buffed off (like the Lexus dealer's installer did with my wife's Lexus!). I used GTechniq Crystal Serum Light along with their EXO hydrophobic coating and have been very pleased with the results. The total cost for the those liquids was about $170, but I got the 50ml bottle so I wouldn't worry about running out and ended up using some on the wheels too.

On my 911S I went to the expense of getting full-body Suntek Ultra self-healing PPF, which is comparable to Xpel's top-of-the-line product although I find the Suntek surface finish to be more glassy. My PPF installer also finds it easier to work. It is excellent at making bugs etc come off easily and on the chance a swirl or light scratch gets on its surface (without breaking through), just putting the car in the warmth of the sunlight or careful use of a heat gun will heal it.

I've never understood doing both since the much more-expensive PPF (if fully body) is already virtually scratch proof by its self-healing nature and is super easy to clean. If you have concerns about rock chips then PPF will protect the paint much better but can get nicked beyond self-healing limits. I could see doing a mix with PPF on the forward facing surfaces and ceramic elsewhere... but to each their own.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
174 Posts
Anybody else get or look into XPEL film or ceramic coating? With my car only 6 days into ownership, I might be looking at one or both of these options. Experiences out there always help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Anybody else get or look into XPEL film or ceramic coating? With my car only 6 days into ownership, I might be looking at one or both of these options. Experiences out there always help!

Thanks!
Paint is thin and soft on the I-Pace, so it a very good idea to get PPF at least on the front bumper. There templates available for our car.
I'M a big fan of protecting as much as possible, but it gets costly.

I used PPF on the front bumper, ceramic coating everywhere else because my cars a lease

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
174 Posts
Paint is thin and soft on the I-Pace, so it a very good idea to get PPF at least on the front bumper. There templates available for our car.
I'M a big fan of protecting as much as possible, but it gets costly.

I used PPF on the front bumper, ceramic coating everywhere else because my cars a lease
Thanks, I'm a buyer not lease, but I usually keep my cars for an extended period, so I have no problem trying to keep it in great shape for a long time.

I'll search out installers in my area and see what I find.

Any thoughts from anyone on the type of ceramic coating that seems to be best?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks, I'm a buyer not lease, but I usually keep my cars for an extended period, so I have no problem trying to keep it in great shape for a long time.

I'll search out installers in my area and see what I find.

Any thoughts from anyone on the type of ceramic coating that seems to be best?
I have Ceramic Pro which is a common yet very weak coating
CS-II is very good, but not carried everywhere. Definitely don't DYI, get a pro to do it.
Lots of marketing gimmicks out there so be careful

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
174 Posts
I have Ceramic Pro which is a common yet very weak coating
CS-II is very good, but not carried everywhere. Definitely don't DYI, get a pro to do it.
Lots of marketing gimmicks out there so be careful
Thanks. It looks like XPEL does ceramic coating too, "Fusion Plus". Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm still wondering why a ceramic coat is desirable on top of a self-healing PPF. Here's my thoughts:

When heated in even just outdoor sunlight self-healing PPF will heal over light scratches and swirls and restore itself to a smooth surface. I can confirm this worked well with the SunTech Ultra PPF I used. The dealership that sold it to me for my Porsche had a test you could do. They had a small sample piece of painted "hood" and a brass brush. You could use the brush to visibly scratch the PPF. Once scratched, they had an IR heat lamp to heat the surface. With your own eyes you could watch the PPF heal itself back to a nice gloss in around 30 seconds or so.

So then why do you need to add scratch-resistant ceramic coat on top of that? It just seems like an unnecessary extra expense. I've used both and like both in their place, both help prevent minor scratches and swirls and both make bug splat removal much easier. I have full-body ceramic coat on the I-Pace and it seems to do well. But it certainly doesn't protect against chips from small gravel like PPF does, yet full body PPF is very expensive. It was just shy of $5k on the Porsche. So a reasonable approach in my mind is to use the expensive PPF in forward facing chip-prone areas and more cost-effective ceramic coating everywhere else... but again... I don't see the need to use ceramic on top of the PPF since it can just take care of it's own scratch resistance and healing.

By the way, with bigger deeper hits even PPF will take damage that does not heal, but it will usually protect the paint underneath it from chipping. Then it can be removed and replaced by the piece if the damage is enough to bother you.

Here's a YouTube video of someone demoing the self-healing of the XPel PPF equivalent of the Suntek Ultra I used... it's pretty amazing:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks. It looks like XPEL does ceramic coating too, "Fusion Plus". Any thoughts on that?
I haven't heard much about Xpels coating. Please post what they are offering to get a better understanding.
The more layers, the longer it last, better protection, deeper the shine.
Warranty is usually based on the installer, so they require an annual inspection and if necessary, a reapplication.

Ceramic Pro doesn't last that long even though they claim 3 years. In reality its a year, with a lighter application that's applied as time goes for the warranty.
The installer is very important

I'm still wondering why a ceramic coat is desirable on top of a self-healing PPF. Here's my thoughts:

When heated in even just outdoor sunlight self-healing PPF will heal over light scratches and swirls and restore itself to a smooth surface. I can confirm this worked well with the SunTech Ultra PPF I used. The dealership that sold it to me for my Porsche had a test you could do. They had a small sample piece of painted "hood" and a brass brush. You could use the brush to visibly scratch the PPF. Once scratched, they had an IR heat lamp to heat the surface. With your own eyes you could watch the PPF heal itself back to a nice gloss in around 30 seconds or so.

So then why do you need to add scratch-resistant ceramic coat on top of that? It just seems like an unnecessary extra expense. I've used both and like both in their place, both help prevent minor scratches and swirls and both make bug splat removal much easier. I have full-body ceramic coat on the I-Pace and it seems to do well. But it certainly doesn't protect against chips from small gravel like PPF does, yet full body PPF is very expensive. It was just shy of $5k on the Porsche. So a reasonable approach in my mind is to use the expensive PPF in forward facing chip-prone areas and more cost-effective ceramic coating everywhere else... but again... I don't see the need to use ceramic on top of the PPF since it can just take care of it's own scratch resistance and healing.

By the way, with bigger deeper hits even PPF will take damage that does not heal, but it will usually protect the paint underneath it from chipping. Then it can be removed and replaced by the piece if the damage is enough to bother you.

Here's a YouTube video of someone demoing the self-healing of the XPel PPF equivalent of the Suntek Ultra I used... it's pretty amazing:
I agree on this.

When you Cermatic Coating your car, it also eliminates the need to wax it as the coating has the same properties of the wax, with much more benefits
For PPF putting a hybrid ceramic coat on like Turtle wax Seal and Shine or a Mcguires are good enough.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts