Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An accident ripped out the charging cable from the Chargepoint wall unit and cut through the rubber insulation. Chargepoint cables are not available and they recommend that I buy a complete system. The customer service rep also said that a generic cable won't work. I'm dubious about this claim. Will a generic cable work?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
977 Posts
This Juicebox cable should work.
You may find other similar products with a search.

However, this cable uses heavier gauge wiring so you may have to adapt/crimp smaller (be creative) to fit the wires into the ChargePoint (6 gauge wire clamping connector in the charger)..

ChargePoint's cable uses 2 pairs of 2 smaller gauge wires crimped together for the power lines. This why it is lighter and more flexible.

How badly damaged is the original cable? Is it just the outer insulation or did the inner wires get damaged? Power wires damaged? Communications wires damaged?

Outer insulation only damage, and if not used outside, could be resealed with various products. Flextape, Liquid Tape, etc.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This Juicebox cable should work.
You may find other similar products with a search.

However, this cable uses heavier gauge wiring so you may have to adapt/crimp smaller (be creative) to fit the wires into the ChargePoint (6 gauge wire clamping connector in the charger)..

ChargePoint's cable uses 2 pairs of 2 smaller gauge wires crimped together for the power lines. This why it is lighter and more flexible.

How badly damaged is the original cable? Is it just the outer insulation or did the inner wires get damaged? Power wires damaged? Communications wires damaged?

Outer insulation only damage, and if not used outside, could be resealed with various products. Flextape, Liquid Tape, etc.
It's only the outer insulation. Thanks for the ideas and I'll try them out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen the ChargePoint cable being sold in eBay like this one:
Thanks, bruintoo. 18' is too short but if Chargepoint makes an 18 ft cable they must make a 25 ft. My call to Chargepoint was odd. Both the customer service rep and technician seemed genuinely surprised to not find a cable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, bruintoo. 18' is too short but if Chargepoint makes an 18 ft cable they must make a 25 ft. My call to Chargepoint was odd. Both the customer service rep and technician seemed genuinely surprised to not find a cable.
My Chargepoint 32 A has a 25 ft OEM cable. So, Chargepoint does make them. Good luck.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good ideas! I never could find an available 25' cord so I called an electrician. He inspected then wrapped the cut in 3 layers of electrical tape and reinstalled the cable. He also added a sling to help bear the weight of the cord. Cheap fix thanks to the forum members.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts