Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of posts on this, but nothing too recent. My 2019 FE has about 8k miles on it (pandemic reduced driving). On Saturday, I was pulling into a parking spot and needed to back up to readjust, when I did ... no connection to the drive train. The gear selection indicators flash instead of remaining illuminated and the warning on the dash says "Gearbox fault detected." I have to have the car towed to the dealer and they downloaded the data yesterday.

Today I get a call that there is a harness that has to be replaced. It will take about a week to get it in stock and 4 days to take the car apart and put back together.

Has anyone dealt with this like this? Once put back together, is the car as good as new or are there likely more issues?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,109 Posts
There's a link to the TSB that describes the problem and cure contained in this thread:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was one of the early ones (had to wait a month for the part as they were just re-inventing that harness). It is in an awkward spot which is why they need to dig deep. The car was as good as new afterwards, so no worries about that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was one of the early ones (had to wait a month for the part as they were just re-inventing that harness). It is in an awkward spot which is why they need to dig deep. The car was as good as new afterwards, so no worries about that.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a link to the TSB that describes the problem and cure contained in this thread:

Thank you. How common is this?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Apparently happens more if you do a lot of hard acceleration which stretches the wiring. I'd like to know how much this repair would be if it happens outside of warranty. I think they should fix all VINs affected. Feels like a bit of a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
2020 S
97 Posts
Apparently happens more if you do a lot of hard acceleration which stretches the wiring. I'd like to know how much this repair would be if it happens outside of warranty. I think they should fix all VINs affected. Feels like a bit of a ticking time bomb.
Sounds like the best solution then is to drive the car like you stole it to increase the chance of the harness failing before the warranty expires. Have fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd like to know how much this repair would be if it happens outside of warranty.
I also hope that (if it's gonna happen at all, which it probably will) it will happen within warranty.
However, if it happens afterwards, I don't think I'll be very keen on going to a certified dealer and having the whole harness replaced.

Judging by the pics of the problem, it seems fairly easy to fix with a soldering iron and some extra wire. You'd still have to reach the area possibly by removing some parts (so I don't know if I'd be able to do that myself or go to a body shop) but overall I think it would be a fairly easy and cheap fix. Not to mention it'd save you loads of time as you wouldn't have to wait for any parts, which seems to take weeks in most cases.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
215 Posts
When was the problem resolved for new builds?

Would seem sensible for any used buyer of a car built before this date to check the work has been carried out?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also hope that (if it's gonna happen at all, which it probably will) it will happen within warranty.
However, if it happens afterwards, I don't think I'll be very keen on going to a certified dealer and having the whole harness replaced.

Judging by the pics of the problem, it seems fairly easy to fix with a soldering iron and some extra wire. You'd still have to reach the area possibly by removing some parts (so I don't know if I'd be able to do that myself or go to a body shop) but overall I think it would be a fairly easy and cheap fix. Not to mention it'd save you loads of time as you wouldn't have to wait for any parts, which seems to take weeks in most cases.
Maybe, but if I've learned anything in our one product development over the last few years, signal woes are twitchy. A bad crimp here, a neighbouring wire inducing current there and you get a twitchy data line causing all sorts of mayhem.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
70 Posts
Sounds like the best solution then is to drive the car like you stole it to increase the chance of the harness failing before the warranty expires. Have fun.
This has been my approach. I've owned it 11 months and have 33k miles on it and finally triggered it. Thought I was going to run out of warranty..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This has been my approach. I've owned it 11 months and have 33k miles on it and finally triggered it. Thought I was going to run out of warranty..
I wasn't trying to trigger mine. Unfortunately I only have 8k on mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update with some better news.

After pestering my service representative (politely), I got word today that the part is already at the dealer and they are going to get started on the work first thing in the morning. My service rep says his bulletin says it is a 9 hour job, but that he has seen them take longer. Fortunately the technician working on the car has done "a few" of these. So right now I am guessing it won't be 2 weeks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had my wiring harness replaced and they did it fairly quickly even though they had to disassemble the entire car practically. Everything seemed to be working well for around 2000kms then I got the same fault. They tightened a fuse nut or something like that(maybe didn’t attach it properly when reassembling?) and it seems OK now.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
628 Posts
I had my wiring harness replaced and they did it fairly quickly even though they had to disassemble the entire car practically. Everything seemed to be working well for around 2000kms then I got the same fault. They tightened a fuse nut or something like that(maybe didn’t attach it properly when reassembling?) and it seems OK now. View attachment 5473 View attachment 5474
For such a beautiful car when it is covered in nice shiny aluminum and paint, it sure looks ugly underneath. Gone are the days of an open engine compartment with shiny paint, chrome and plenty of room to access everything

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had my wiring harness replaced and they did it fairly quickly even though they had to disassemble the entire car practically. Everything seemed to be working well for around 2000kms then I got the same fault. They tightened a fuse nut or something like that(maybe didn’t attach it properly when reassembling?) and it seems OK now. View attachment 5473 View attachment 5474
How long ago was this? I wonder if they've improved processes and learned anything from earlier repairs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bad service experience update:

As I said earlier, my i-Pace had to be towed into the dealer for a “Gearbox Fault” which made it undrivable. I bought my i-Pace at Galpin in Van Nuys and they had serviced it well so I had it towed there as they knew my vehicle. It was a Saturday and their service center was closed until Monday. Monday comes and I talk to my service advisor and he tells me that he is going to get it diagnosed.

At the end of the day, I check in and he lets me know that they are going to download the data and should have an answer in the morning (Tuesday). Tuesday comes and I ping him for the answer. He calls me to tell me that they have to replace the wiring harness (which given the other posts on the forum, should have been the expected diagnosis.) He then says the part could take a week to get in stock (maybe less) and that the service is a four day job. Unbelievable! But what can I do. He assures me the part will be ordered that day and that he’ll give me an ETA for when it arrives and that they will get started on the car as soon as the parts arrive.

I don’t hear from him with the expected time, so I ping him again the next day and he gives me good news. The parts have come in and they will get started on my car in the morning (Thursday morning). We then have a discussion about the length of the repair. I tell him I’ve since seen the Technical Bulletin from JLR on this issue and I know it is an 11 hour job. He hadn’t seen the Bulletin so we go back and forth about the parts numbers, he tells me he sees it’s a 9 hour job. I assume from Topix. Anyway, I rest easier knowing that my car will be done, maybe by Friday but likely by Monday.

Just before 4 pm on Friday, I give my service advisor a call to see how the progress is. He doesn’t pick up, but as I am on hold for voicemail, another service advisor calls to tell me that my regular service advisor will be on vacation next week and that he will be taking care of me and that my car should be ready to start repairs ON TUESDAY! I tell him that my regular advisor promised me that it would be started the day before our call and that I was expecting that it might get done the on Friday, not first start repairs they day after it reasonably should be finished.

He then tells me something that causes me to lose my mind. He tells me “I don’t know if you know this, but Galpin is opening its Land Rover dealership this weekend and we had 200 cars to get ready.” Like I said, I lost it. I told him that my car had been there since Saturday and I didn’t care that the dealer had its own cars to get ready, that wasn’t my problem. They had promised to get my car fixed and that they were going to start on Thursday not the following Tuesday. I then asked to speak to the service manager.

He transferred me to the service manager, who did not pick up. I left him a voicemail message. That was 4 pm yesterday. I still have not heard back form him. I guess the service manager takes off early on Fridays and doesn’t return call on the weekends.

I don’t know how JLR let’s this happen given that they charge premium prices for their cars. This is not what I expect from a service department for a luxury brand or from any brand of car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts