Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Had a funny (not in a good way) thing happen today. As I pulled into a parking space, I heard a second of rubbing/grinding-like sound. I was turning tight, so I thought the tire might be rubbing on something so I did not give it another thought (others than noted a new, strange sound).

When I left work, I started getting intermittent "Gearbox Fault Detected" messages. They were yellow, would appear for 2 seconds then disappear. Seemed to happen when accelerating from stop. The grinding sound (more like a creaking/rubbing) happened again a few times and once, the car lurched to a stop when I tried to move from a stop sign (felt I got rear-ended).

I managed to limp the car home and will call the dealer tomorrow. I've seen a few mentions of this error in other threads, but they were after other errors like traction battery fault or other error. Anyone had this specifically and had it resolved somehow (or am I about to start a long journey with JLRNA)?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you driving aggressively before this happened?
Not at at all. In general, I am not aggressive (my past cars were an RX450h and Ford Escape hybrid) and The roads have been snow covered for the last few days. I babied the car home as soon as I saw the warning message.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
It may be related to Technical Bulletin JLRTB02012NAS1. The dealer would have to check it and see if the cable has been strained or frayed though. Here's the summary. I tried attaching a PDF, but it is 318kb, and apparently the forum limits it to 19.5kb (which is a bit low for PDFs with any advanced content). NOTE: If this is the problem, the fix is physical, not software.

A 'Gearbox Fault Detected' warning message may be displayed on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). If the vehicle is in PARK, the customer may not be able to select DRIVE or, if
already in DRIVE, the customer may experience a ratcheting type noise followed by an abrupt stop when the vehicle speed has reduced to 5 km/h (3 mph).
The following Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) (DTC)s will also be stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM):
  • P07E4-00
  • P272C-13
  • P303F-15
  • P303F-29
  • P07E6-00
  • P272C-11
No retention to the front Electric Drive Unit (EDU) causing strain on wiring going to the park lock actuator connector (C1YE113A).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be related to Technical Bulletin JLRTB02012NAS1. The dealer would have to check it and see if the cable has been strained or frayed though. Here's the summary. I tried attaching a PDF, but it is 318kb, and apparently the forum limits it to 19.5kb (which is a bit low for PDFs with any advanced content). NOTE: If this is the problem, the fix is physical, not software.

A 'Gearbox Fault Detected' warning message may be displayed on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). If the vehicle is in PARK, the customer may not be able to select DRIVE or, if
already in DRIVE, the customer may experience a ratcheting type noise followed by an abrupt stop when the vehicle speed has reduced to 5 km/h (3 mph).
The following Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) (DTC)s will also be stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM):
  • P07E4-00
  • P272C-13
  • P303F-15
  • P303F-29
  • P07E6-00
  • P272C-11
No retention to the front Electric Drive Unit (EDU) causing strain on wiring going to the park lock actuator connector (C1YE113A).
That is consistent with my experience, although I had the abrupt stop happen once but the ratchet sound maybe 5 times on the 20 min drive home. I'll see tomorrow (I hope they are back from the holidays) if I can drive it in, or if I need a tow.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'll see tomorrow (I hope they are back from the holidays) if I can drive it in, or if I need a tow.

Thanks for the info!
I recommend taking advantage of the roadside assistance and have it towed in rather than continuing to drive it. You can have it towed to them even if they are closed. Give the tow truck driver a written description of the problem to be included with the FOB drop-off.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recommend taking advantage of the roadside assistance and have it towed in rather than continuing to drive it. You can have it towed to them even if they are closed. Give the tow truck driver a written description of the problem to be included with the FOB drop-off.
I'll call into morning and have them tow it. Not pleased with the "shame" of having my beautiful Jag car towed out of my driveway...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Managed to limp it to the dealer. Already had an appointment next week for the Remote failure (has not phoned home since the center console went black a couple of weeks ago despite going in and updating the software). Got an Évoque as a loaner. Wow is that accelerator pedal sluggish! Literally a second or two before it reacts. I rent cars all the time traveling but maybe driving familiar roads make it more obvious.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My cat is stranded since mid-December at Décarie Motors for exactly same problem...
Intermittent power train failures upon acceleration. Had experienced the same grinding sound only once though....

The park lock activator is broken and we are still waiting for the part to come in....
They are talking about a 25-30 hours job to replace the part....

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My cat is stranded since mid-December at Décarie Motors for exactly same problem...
Intermittent power train failures upon acceleration. Had experienced the same grinding sound only once though....

The park lock activator is broken and we are still waiting for the part to come in....
They are talking about a 25-30 hours job to replace the part....
Ouch. Maybe they can do them both at the same time, or at least practice on yours first :wink2:

I brought mine in mid December for the blank screens issue and as I arrived, a second, almost identical I-PACE (Corrus Grey with different 20" wheels) had just come in. Even the licence plate was only 2 numbers off and gave the techs pause. Yours by chance (does your plate end in VAA)?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hopefully they will get that part soon... as of January 3rd, it was still quoted as «*unavailable*».
And no signs of it whereas one can have a package sent overnight across the world.... makes you wonder!

Got the car in on è décembre 17th.

I have a vanity plate...ends with GYN
But same Corris Grey, Oyster Interior and 20’’ wheels (originals with Nokia Hakka 3 SUV)

I’m afraid we’re in for a long wait, driving also an Evoque loaner. What a bummer!

Seemingly a known issue as per the provided technical bulletin (where can one have an eye on those?)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hopefully they will get that part soon... as of January 3rd, it was still quoted as «*unavailable*».
And no signs of it whereas one can have a package sent overnight across the world.... makes you wonder!

Got the car in on è décembre 17th.

I have a vanity plate...ends with GYN
But same Corris Grey, Oyster Interior and 20’’ wheels (originals with Nokia Hakka 3 SUV)

I’m afraid we’re in for a long wait, driving also an Evoque loaner. What a bummer!

Seemingly a known issue as per the provided technical bulletin (where can one have an eye on those?)
JLRTB02012NAS1 - 'Gearbox Fault Detected' Displayed On The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

CONDITION SUMMARY:
SITUATION:
A 'Gearbox Fault Detected' warning message may be displayed on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). If the vehicle is in PARK, the customer may not be able to select DRIVE or, if already in DRIVE, the customer may experience a ratcheting type noise followed by an abrupt stop when the vehicle speed has reduced to 5 km/h (3 mph).

• P07E4-00

• P272C-13

• P303F-15

• P303F-29

• P07E6-00

• P272C-11

CAUSE:
No retention to the front Electric Drive Unit (EDU) causing strain on wiring going to the park lock actuator connector (C1YE113A)

The rest of the bulletin is repair and diagnostic instructions with pictures, so it doesn't copy and paste well into the forum.
The picture pasted in an earlier post is for the park lock actuator connector.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty sure the "Gearbox Fault Detected" means we have the same issue. I'llping them again tomorrow to see where they are at.
Wiring harness seems to be the issue. Wiring harness supply (or lack thereof) is the bigger issue. Backorder with no estimated delivery date...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wiring harness seems to be the issue. Wiring harness supply (or lack thereof) is the bigger issue. Backorder with no estimated delivery date...
This is such a BIG deception!
How can’t they have available spare parts when it is a known issue (as per technical bulletin provided).

Can’t they have it shipped from any freeking where in the world whereas I can have a phone shipped from China overnight?!

That makes 2 of us stranded at same dealership.
Really unhappy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts