Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Garage Hostage

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  wbhwaco 
#1 ·
A week ago my I-Pace died electrically in my garage. Jaguar kindly towed it to the dealership I purchased it from. Still under warranty I expected a fairly quick fix. Seven days later they have not even looked at the car and the service manager will not return my calls. This is Jaguar of Norwood in Massachusetts which is a very large Jaguar/Land Rover dealership and therefore should have the diagnostic equipment and people in place. Is it unreasonable to expect a dealership that sold the car to take more than a week to even give it a cursory inspection? Should I keep making calls to Jaguar in Peabody, call Jaguar US or have it towed to another dealership that might actually care about their customer relationships? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Oh no! This is NOT acceptable. I have never had more than 1/2 day before the Service Advisor or Mgr. called me. 7 days is not ok. I would file a complaint with Jaguar, and have the car towed to another dealer if possible. We are lucky in So.Cal that we have many JLR dealers to chose from. I do not know the situation in MA. Best of luck and keep us posted!

#6 ·
I understand what you are feeling Pepper. Your problem is small compared to mine. I have a dying traction battery that
has been happening of the course of 6 months. My dealer looked at it, said it was ok. Took it to a 2nd dealer and said at least 1 of cells is bad, but did not have qualified tech. I called a 3rd dealer, said they had tech, but replacement battery cell would take 2 months to ship. Since then, my original dealer said they now have a tech. but could not schedule appointment until June 1st. In the mean time the car is dying in the garage, unable to drive due to low battery (about 8 kWh) and will not accept a charge. I called to schedule a tow back to the dealer, and they would not take the car until my June 1st appointment. Something really sucks. The dealers seem to know something that they are not telling customers.

#18 · (Edited)
Well, I hope they're better than the Herb Chambers BMW in Boston. I had my i3 towed in there for a flat tire. They changed the wrong one! They had one job to do...

FWIW, my Jaguar dealer dealt with my Jag's "brake pedal response" issue rather well. It seems that they have only one tech certified for EVs, so you sort of have to wait in line for them. But once it was my turn, they had the problem diagnosed and solved within 24 hours. Thomas Shusda at Jaguar of Sudbury.

#8 ·
I had a problem like this with my last car. It was a plug-in hybid. These are complex cars, but that is no excuse. I documented the lack of progress on a weekly basis and let the dealer know. I was advised by insiders to let Volvo Corp. know directly. At two weeks, they paid two of my car payments ($2K+). At five weeks, they bought the car back at full price and gave me one of higher value for the same price. In Calif., we have a lemon law. While I never had to use it, I did mention that I would use it. I encourage you to speak up...and to different levels.

#19 ·
This^. I had the same issue as others on scheduling for the “gearbox fault detected” issue. They wanted me to schedule almost 4 weeks out since I’d need a loaner. I made a Google review that their specific location was refusing to honor warranties and noted the type, price, mileage of my car and said the dealership had no concern for my safety or need for transportation, possibly both. Advised others to find a dealership that would provide appropriate service for the price point. After the review they called in about 5 minutes.

They still had to wait a week for the tech guy but they got me in right away and gave me a loner so I didn’t have to drive something making wierd noises and saying gearbox fault. At one point during the beginning of the drop of process and scheduling day to bring it in (I’m 109 miles away) they weren’t responsive again. Rinse repeat. After that second review my point of contact got it together and starting sending me a daily email at 5pm with updates and that continued the entire 23 days they had my car

#9 ·
Thank you for the info, very interesting and helpful. The dealer finally came back this morning claiming that my issue was caused by a software update. I would have thought that an errant software update would have rippled through the entire I-Pace community, and so I am somewhat skeptical this is the solution. Nonetheless, I am encouraged to be getting Pepper back and by the support and all the suggestions from the Jaguar Forum community. That part of my sojourn has been terrific!

#12 ·
A week ago my I-Pace died electrically in my garage. Jaguar kindly towed it to the dealership I purchased it from. Still under warranty I expected a fairly quick fix. Seven days later they have not even looked at the car and the service manager will not return my calls. This is Jaguar of Norwood in Massachusetts which is a very large Jaguar/Land Rover dealership and therefore should have the diagnostic equipment and people in place. Is it unreasonable to expect a dealership that sold the car to take more than a week to even give it a cursory inspection? Should I keep making calls to Jaguar in Peabody, call Jaguar US or have it towed to another dealership that might actually care about their customer relationships? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
[/QUOTE
mine died yesterday 150 miles from home yesterday with battery traction fault detected. Ipace would not even start. Jaguar came to get car at no cost to me. This is now the 4th time this happen to me in the last 2 years. Even the battery was replaced on this car. It’s unacceptable that a $100k car has so many issues and leaves you stranded. The 3 Jaguar dealers my I-pace has visited here in Houston are useless. They dont have a clue how to fix these cars other then reload software. I love my ipace but next car is a Tesla. I have a Chevy bolt as well for last 3 years not once did I have to take to dealer other than tire rotation.

#15 ·
Wow, sorry to hear this. I had a problem with my car charging (posted my experience a few months back). The dealerships seem to lack any type of customer service (as it seems any business does these days). My dealership provided a loaner car each time my car needed warranty work. Ask for a loaner car.

My observation is the components of the I Pace are poor quality and the software programming is extremely poor.

How is the actual mileage range in the cold northeast?

Good luck.

#16 ·
My observation is the components of the I Pace are poor quality and the software programming is extremely poor.
I think that's a bit unfair.

Besides the problems caused by the wiring harness issue (unfortunate and tedious to fix but not really major) and some faulty battery control modules, I'm not seeing a lot of hardware problems.

The batteries are from LG Chem (reliable as can be), the motors are pretty much faultless, the car's body (engineering, weight ratio, integrity) is impeccable. So I don't see how the "low quality" comment is warranted.

On the software side, yes, you've definitely got a point. I could forgive the quirks of the original edition, but especially the amount of bugs and problems of the Pivi Pro models is inexcusable.

#17 ·
I think the bugs in the Pivi Pro should have been expected. ICTP has been around for years, so most of the bugs in that system were worked out a while ago. I'm actually disappointed in how many bugs it still has, given how long it has been in use.

Pivi Pro is only 2 years old, and if I remember correctly the i-Pace was the second car to get it. Finding a lot of new bugs seems normal to me (though still frustrating).

But either way, their developers are crap. Too many regressions in a single release family, and apparently they don't define proper APIs and constraints in inputs / outputs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.