Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Since I am coming out of a 2019 BMW i3S with a battery about 1/2 the size of my new '19 I-Pace, I had to charge the i3 more frequently (although the i3, weighing so much less than the Jag, the battery lasted quite a while and the Regen. braking added a shocking amt. back to the battery).

Anyway....I know older generations of batteries needed varying rates of discharge and charges. Do you charge the I-Pace frequently, or do you wait until the charge is really low?

The first few days, I was charing it frequently, but it is now around 40% SOC and I have not plugged it in for many days.

Just curious, as I hope to keep my new Jag for 3 years, and I would like to keep the battery as healthy as possible. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The battery will last the most number of years at ~35% according to Jaguar's "long term storage" doc.
But the car is to be enjoyed. So I'd normally keep it at 70-90% in the AM. That way I have full regen, and more than 100 miles no matter how crazy I get.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
56 Posts
We live in British Columbia - our average cost for clean hydro electricity is about 13.5c CDN or about 10c US dollars. BUT, we live in an area with somewhat frequent power outages. Perhaps once annually, usually in November-January, a storm will come through that will knock power out for a few hours. Occasionally, we lose power for more than a day.

Who knew access to electricity could add (slightly) to range anxiety??

This time of year, my wife and I keep both our EVs charged to at least 90%, on the off chance we could be a day or two without ready access to juice!!

I'm sure this craziness on our part will pass, as we get used to life without gas.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi!

Since I am coming out of a 2019 BMW i3S with a battery about 1/2 the size of my new '19 I-Pace, I had to charge the i3 more frequently (although the i3, weighing so much less than the Jag, the battery lasted quite a while and the Regen. braking added a shocking amt. back to the battery).

Anyway....I know older generations of batteries needed varying rates of discharge and charges. Do you charge the I-Pace frequently, or do you wait until the charge is really low?

The first few days, I was charing it frequently, but it is now around 40% SOC and I have not plugged it in for many days.

Just curious, as I hope to keep my new Jag for 3 years, and I would like to keep the battery as healthy as possible. Thanks!!
You're not storing the car at 100% charge or less than 20% charge, so you really shouldn't worry too much. Jaguar has already built in head and tail values. Plug in and charge to whatever is convenient. Long term, and we are talking years, it's best to keep the car between 35% and 80% state of charge and also to not use the the DC Fast chargers frequently. This is all about heat and stored energy. So if you drive the car every day, and you charge a couple times a week, you should be fine. Most of the battery management articles focus on stored charges and charge cycle speeds. You have to be careful to not fully equate them to traction batteries. Use it more like you would your phone. Within the 3 year time period you shouldn't do any damage or degrade the battery unless you are cycling frequently and at high charge/discharge rates.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I charge as needed. Although pretty much anything below 50% I charge to be prepared for something unexpected.
Often charge at work at a slow 20 amps so it bounces mostly at 40 to 90% and I always hope to get 100% by Friday afternoon to roll free through the weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts