Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get down to a fast charger near you in CA and try it yourself. My last 3 charges, on a trip from LA to SF were FREE.
Dec 28 2021 Oxnard, Dec 29 Salinas Walmart, today 150w Emeryville on San Pablo. Three totaling over $70 retail at .43 per kwh,

Screen shows free, no charge early on after you plug in. I did not have an EA account or give any credit card info.
Wow. Anybody know why this is? Is it just in CA?
Guessing their VW diesel pennance may include a requirement to sell (or give away) some minimum amount each year. Saw same free charge occured around labor day. Merry Christmas from EA. Steve

·
Registered
252 Posts
Your services as a tester of a new station are appreciated I'm sure. The cost of a technician to fully charge test the units with many different cars, was well worth giving away some electricity. I think they used to call it being a guinea pig!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Free till January 3rd. Just plug in, don't use the app

Reactions: dcdrive

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Any explanation?
They also did it over Thanksgiving holiday. May be for publicity, may be because if people are traveling and their chargers don't work (usually due to billing interface issues) they don't want to have negative feedback?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Wish I knew that earlier !
Makes total sense BTW, as electricity is much cheaper on holidays (weekends and night time too) .

·
Registered
171 Posts
But isn’t it also their best opportunity to get revenue from travelers? It’s just counterintuitive to me from a business sense.

·
Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
139 Posts
I think it is also their best opportunity to avoid showing how bad their system is at initialing the equipment due to payment issues. They also probably don’t have the staff and IT systems in place to support the increased use. And, they can give most of the support employees the time off.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
854 Posts
I think it is also their best opportunity to avoid showing how bad their system is at initialing the equipment due to payment issues. They also probably don’t have the staff and IT systems in place to support the increased use. And, they can give most of the support employees the time off.
The cynic in me agrees wholeheartedly, but the flip side is that holidays are the best opportunity to reach new customers since so many folks are travelling, and maybe a great charging experience over a holiday weekend will encourage EV owners to take more regular long distance trips throughout the year.
Holiday sales/promotions are not a new concept.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update: got a free charge today (01/08/22) @ electrify America in Southern California. Thanks for the electrons!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts