Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I know we have all talked at great length about replacement rubber(or lack there of) for those with the 22” wheels.

I have a question for those that decided to go with an all-season 265/40r22–are you happy with the tire you chose? And if so, what brand did you go with? I want to ensure that whatever tire I choose it will not degrade the ride or increase noise significantly. I am willing to trade off performance for comfort in this case.

I love the wheels I have and as such am unwilling to downsize to the 20” wheels so, I know i am going to have to compromise in other areas.

Let me know your thoughts.

Timbo

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
173 Posts
I have 265/40/22s. They hurt ride quality noticeably and added more noise, but I also came from 20's, and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and fairly agressive summer tire. The stock Goodyear Eagles are definitely more muted, so the comparison is a bit apples to oranges in that respect.
Moving from 255/40 to 265/40 results in a sidewall that is about 8% larger if memory serves right, which should help ride quality a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use these for winter in Minnesota and work great and you can use them all year too.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 265/40 R22 106W XL BSW

·
Registered
25 Posts
Michelin A/S 3+ all-season tires fit and work well. Ride quality is not noticeably different from stock tires. (I prefer stiffer sports-car like handling.) They are a bit noisier than summer tires, but nothing objectionable.

And now heavy rain or moderate snow is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition with 20" Wheelset using All-Weather Tires
59 Posts
I replaced my 22" wheels and Pirelli summer tires with 20" wheels and Goodyear Eagle All-Season 245/50 R20 high-mileage tires. Same configuration as recommended and supplied by Jaguar. Note the dealer had to reprogram a configuration file used by the system computer. My 22" wheels are in excellent condition having been used only 3300 miles and are available should anyone want to upgrade to this wheelset. I did not want to be bothered by seasonal tires changes and am not the driver who can appreciate the performance difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, but the looks of the 22” make it look like it just jumped off the concept car pages of a designer’s sketchbook. I could never part with mine...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Timbo, I am a new user here and I'm picking up my new to me I Pace this Friday.

I'm a former Maserati Quattroporte owner so I'm experienced with the charms of having a rare car with a unique tire size. Like others, I also prefer Michelin but I've found the wear to be an issue. The cost of the Michelins isn't for everyone and the 4Ss are expensive. I don't like Pirelli full stop. I find the expensive tires from Pirelli and Michelin perform amazing but when they are gone, they are downright dangerous. I love me that feeling of fresh Michelin performance tires but every set I've had on a car ever has failed / exploded / blown out etc. My Volvo trade has 22" Pirelli Scorpion Verdes that would fit the I Pace and seem to last long, but I think they are also downright awful. I find Pirellis generally do not do well in colder/cool borderline fall temperatures here in Ontario because for some reason they just get hard in the cold.

I would suggest you consider some of the Japanese options as they have a vibrant aftermarket and produce quality alternatives that are priced competitively. For example, I happen to think Falken tires are actually great tires which are available in odd sizes and different levels of ratings and for very good prices. I found they performed better and lasted longer than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (the predecessor for the 4S) on the Masi. Yokohama is also a pretty good brand. I'd also generally stay away from Goodyear unless you needed for something to slap on a the car at lease return time.....

This is of coursed based on my experience and preferences. Keep in mind also the cost of the tire is also dependent on the speed rating so a "z" rated tire is slightly cheaper than a "yz" rated tire which has a higher speed rating. You can save money if you buy a 'touring' versus a 'performance' or even a 'green' tire option. You should consider your driving style and your needs and buy the best tire that you can afford that suits your needs. An independent tire shop that stocks different brands is your best bet.

I have a good tip for a place in Brampton that is very good but very busy and has amazing prices. I don't know where you are located.

I hope this helps.

suburban_gorilla

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Welcome gorilla! Wow you know a lot about tires. Oooh I know how much you will love your new toy! Congrats!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome gorilla! Wow you know a lot about tires. Oooh I know how much you will love your new toy! Congrats!
Thank you sciencegeek! I am so excited, I can't even tell you. I haven't been able to sleep properly for the past two nights since everything has been confirmed. I went to check it out Monday and I was so nervous and anxious. I joked that it was like going out with a new girl for the first time.

The tires are like anything else these days. You have to do your research and educate yourself because there is a lot out there. For people who don't care too much, you have the 'appliance/utilitarian' level that gets the job done. There are higher premium and luxury/specialty levels and there are basic discount levels. This is why I am buying a Jaguar and not a Leaf or an Ioniq for example. Don't get me wrong, I like expensive things too but certain things are worth spending the extra money on because you get better customer service, warranty, customer support, and possibly even enjoyment etc with higher end or specialty products. I also think some expensive things aren't worth buying. I like watches and I have a few of those. I have some that just get the job done and some that look flash and cost a lot. At the end of the day they all tell me the time. Some are waterproof, one has a metal strap, one has plastic, one is leather... you get the idea. The most expensive watch I own costs 2500 that I love and I also have a $56 watch that I love. I'd like to buy an omega for 8k one day but I don't ever see myself spending 25k on a rolex. Cheap shit is and can be cool too but sometimes you end up replacing a cheap thing a few times when you could have just bought one good quality thing the first time around.

I digress. With the tire thing, I think it is a no brainer buying the best tire you can afford. It is the only part of your expensive beautiful vehicle that touches the road [and keeps you on the road and out of a crash] and so I think one should equip it properly for all conditions.

I'm also over the 22" wheel thing. Its cool but the ride is rough and I hate the feeling of running over the same violent deep potholes repeatedly because I keep forgetting about them. The 20s balance the look with utility and ride comfort. There has to be a trade-off somewhere. I'd rather go for a slightly fatter 20" wheel for better grip. I plan to run 255/50 R20s over the 22". That way, I can have fun and enjoy the car more with a more reasonably priced tire that is the 'right tire' that I can also replace without too much problem if I'm having a little too much fun. I also like to enjoy my cars and use them so the bigger sidewall on a 20" wheel is more forgiving for parking because there's nothing I that bugs me more than a wheel that isn't perfect to look at.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Once I tried Yokohama on our Scion xA, and they wore out in about 10k miles, to not quite cording. They were meant to go something like 40k. I expected 20k the way I drive and the road I live on. I'll never buy Yokohama again.

A fatter tire won't necessarily give better grip. The compound and style of the tire will matter more. It also might make handling a little sloppy as the overly wide tire rolls over.

A wider tire with the same compound on an appropriately wider wheel will give better grip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A wider tire with the same compound on an appropriately wider wheel will give better grip.
Yes. You got it. This is what I actually meant. wider not fatter.

I don't like Yoko myself either. They are fine but I wouldn't buy them again also.

The compound is another level of complexity as well. !

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes. You got it. This is what I actually meant. wider not fatter.

I don't like Yoko myself either. They are fine but I wouldn't buy them again also.

The compound is another level of complexity as well. !
Also temperature, surface, and air pressure.

On the track at full tilt, the Michelin Primacy HP grip as well, or as poorly, as the original Pilot Super Sport. Cold, the PSS have significantly more grip. I got the AS/3 for the FRS, and I hate them. I think Continental makes the best all season, and they're just peachy on the I-Pace 20".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts