Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 I-Pace with 14k. FOB will still unlock car from 25 yards away which I interpret as the FOB battery still in good health. The car will not recognize FOB if inside the passenger cabin (to start the car) unless it is held up, touching the underside of the steering column. THE second FOB which has never been used has the same issue - which leads me to believe something amiss with the sensor in the car.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Dealer wants to look at it - which based on experience will be a multi-day event!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
813 Posts
Do you unlock the car by pressing the FOB button all the time?
If so, try just walking up to the car and pressing the door handle button to unlock it next time.
Do you have the key in a pocket or purse with other things that might be blocking the key recognition?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, I shall try but same issue in garage this morning when it was unlocked.....I have tried holding key - for 22 months it has worked fine in my pocket - and only way to start car is placed against the indent underneath steering column.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tried to open with door handle button and FOB within 6 inches of handle - nothing - same result with both FOB's. Only way to open is remote! I think it needs a visit to the dealer!

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
The common theme here is the unprompted communication with the car. This may require more battery strength than a "flash" of energy on pressing the unlock button. Try changing out the battery. Much easier fix than taking to the dealership.
I've had mine just over a yr and have changed out the batteries once already.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Last week, my wife complained that her key was no longer working and she had to hold it near the steering column. She barely uses the IPace, maybe 10 times over the last year, she prefers her Leaf, smaller, lighter, ... On my side, even if I don't drive on a daily basis (especially during these Covid days), I have obviously used it more that 10 time, and my key is still strong enough to open and start the car, with the original battery. I don't have an explanation. I just replaced the CR2032 battery to fix the issue. I don't want to argue with the dealer for those minor problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just tried to open with door handle button and FOB within 6 inches of handle - nothing - same result with both FOB's. Only way to open is remote! I think it needs a visit to the dealer!
I have 2017 F pace and 2019 I pace. On both cars key fob battery last less than 2yrs. Couple times delearship replaced the battery. I was getting the similar Issue with Ipace. It will not recognize the key when battery is low. I now keep C2032 battery stocked up and replace my self. You can google on how to replace battery. If is very easy and takes only couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I had exact same issue where fob would open door from many yards away and yet would not enable door button. I also had to start the car with fob against steering column. This occurred after 18 months of ownership and 12,500 miles. Replaced fob battery and problem has now been solved for 2 months and counting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update as the originator of this post. My dealer was confident it was the battery. I was told JLR FOBS are always seeking and as a result generally last 15 - 18 months, regardless of usage. Additionally, it takes far more energy to start a car than unlock the doors. While I do not follow the logic of some of this, sure enough. New battery fixed FOB issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the same problem. Numerous battery replacements did not provide a remedy. I ended up using an electrical contact cleaner on the gold surfaces where the battery slides in, and kept my fingers from contacting the battery. No problems since.
Cheers,
Bruce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts