Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I really jinxed myself by continually saying how perfect and trouble free my I-Pace is....I tell everyone, and it bit me in the a*s this morning :(

Mornings have been cold here for a while now (for So. California), with most mornings temps in the upper 30s to low 40s (F). I almost always precondition my I-Pace via the app about 10-15 mins before leaving the house.

Since day 1 of ownership, I have left my climate on AUTO 70F. It heats and cools perfectly, either via the app or whilst actually driving.

I preconditioned today at 6:45am (car parked in the garage). When I opened to door, I was not greeted with a warm and cozy cabin, but a chilled one :-O

Drove my son the the bus stop (only cold air coming from HVAC system) and on the way home....still no heat.

I drove to work (about a 30 min drive) and NO heat. Fan motor (blower) goes up either manually or by setting the temp higher, but only cold air. Even at 80F or set to Hi.....chilled air.

Dealer has no idea what would cause this! Anyone have a thought, or has gone thru this, so I can tell my dealer?

Strange too....my dealer had 3 Jaguar loan vehicles available (2 F-Pace and an E-Pace), and yet they put me into a brand new 2020 Land Rover. Crazy, how many buttons, parts and bits and bobs are identical to Jag :-O

·
Registered
545 Posts
Electric heating element failed, wiring harness connection failure, blown fuse or the car just wanted to chill out.

30-40F is considered warm weather around here at this time of year. I'm expecting single digits the next two nights or close to them. I know others would consider them warm weather at this time of year.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electric heating element failed, wiring harness connection failure, blown fuse or the car just wanted to chill out.

30-40F is considered warm weather around here at this time of year. I'm expecting single digits the next two nights or close to them. I know others would consider them warm weather at this time of year.
30-40F is considered incredibly cold for most of So. California. Of course our So.Cal mountains regularly are VERY below freezing, but not the non-mountain areas of So. Cal.

I asked the Service Advisor if we could check the fuses while I was there this morning, as this was my first thought, since the blower/fan is operating perfectly. He said no!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
So sorry to hear that sucketh...Here is a story that may make you feel a little better.

One night when it was around 27F outside I was driving the Bolt. Suddenly I noticed the outside temperature display start to climb. First to 55, then to 80. I was confused. A few minutes later it was 135F outside. I called a friend to see if we had suddenly had a major weather event. He was joking I should roll down the window when the temperature outside hit around 165 I told him I didn’t want to fry instantly.

So I was having a bit of fun at the confused sensor when I realized the Bolts climate control was trying to run the AC in order to achieve 72F because it was 165. I tried everything, even cranked the heat to high inside. Well there is no explicit control to turn on/off hear and cold and no matter what the algorithm decided I need max AC while it was 25F outside. Needless to say I no longer found it very funny. I have 1/2 more to drive so I have to stop, put on my thick winter coats and gloves and continue on my way....

Hopefully yours is just a heating element or a fuse, easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
30-40F is considered incredibly cold for most of So. California. Of course our So.Cal mountains regularly are VERY below freezing, but not the non-mountain areas of So. Cal.

I asked the Service Advisor if we could check the fuses while I was there this morning, as this was my first thought, since the blower/fan is operating perfectly. He said no!
Bummer. Sorry to hear. I hope they figure it out soon.

·
Registered
545 Posts
A bad sensor is a possibility or a blocked input. If you still had access to the vehicle, you could check for the latter at the little grill in the instrument panel just to the right of the steering column.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Heat pump failures are not uncommon, I had one as have others.

The heater is the heat pump. Does the A/C work?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heat pump failures are not uncommon, I had one as have others.

The heater is the heat pump. Does the A/C work?
A heat pump failure on a 2 month old car with 1200 miles should be uncommon, LOL ;)

They said they will have to test the A/C. When I dropped it off on Thursday morning, it was about 40F, so we could not tell if the A/C was blowing cold, or just because it was 40F outside.

As of today, Friday 12:30pm (Calif. time) they have NOT been able to find the problem :(

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**Update**

My servicing Jaguar dealer just called me, and said they found the problem. They said happily (but surprisingly, LOL) there were fault codes that led them to to a "complete failure" of the intelligent climate control board that controls the heat pump system (and all other functions of the HVAC) :-O

Does anyone know what this is?

While I'm "happy" they located the source of my heat pump failure, this seems insane on a car with 1200 miles, bought brand new 2 months ago :(

·
Registered
545 Posts
It might be part T4K9955.

Electronic things have soldered connections. Weak ones can fail after several to many heating and cooling (on/off) cycles.

VW installed relays in their A4 platform cars with diesel engines that had this failure and driver could not start the car. I didn't hear of failure reports while driving. VW got a different batch of relays for drivers to purchase (VW didn't give them away or do a recall). Length of use before failure was random.
VW installed relays in their B5/B5.5 platform cars that had faulty soldering. Eventual failure after several cycles caused a loss of air conditioning. Also random length of time before failure but always failed in the summer when it was needed. :wink2:
Bosch was the supplier of these relays.

I also dealt with a VW B5.5 platform car that had to have its AT controller replaced. It started intermittent failures and cause "limp mode" after 3 years of use and gradually got worse. Electronics do fail.

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
**Update**

My servicing Jaguar dealer just called me, and said they found the problem. They said happily (but surprisingly, LOL) there were fault codes that led them to to a "complete failure" of the intelligent climate control board that controls the heat pump system (and all other functions of the HVAC) :-O

Does anyone know what this is?

While I'm "happy" they located the source of my heat pump failure, this seems insane on a car with 1200 miles, bought brand new 2 months ago :(
Yay!!!

I agree with Ayepace that it might be soldering. The other possibility is just a failed board, which your quote says. Boards fail, and if they do it's often when they're still new (due to some manufacturing flaw). Chances are the replacement board will last you.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yay!!!

I agree with Ayepace that it might be soldering. The other possibility is just a failed board, which your quote says. Boards fail, and if they do it's often when they're still new (due to some manufacturing flaw). Chances are the replacement board will last you.
Yeah! While bummed this happened, they found the issue in 1 business day and I get to pick up Kitty (that's her name) tomorrow morning :)

Jaguar Thousand Oaks is really an excellent servicing dealer. I serviced my 2011 and 2014 Full Sized Range Rovers there and my 2016 LR4 and now my I-Pace. I have always had the best of the best outcomes with them.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kitty is home and perfect. This could have been a worse problem or I could have an incompetent dealer. I dropped my I-Pace off at Thousand Oaks JLR at 11am on Thurs, and she was finished at 5:30pm on Friday.

The 2020 Land Rover was very nice, but there is almost no comparing any car to our I-Paces!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Kitty is home and perfect. This could have been a worse problem or I could have an incompetent dealer. I dropped my I-Pace off at Thousand Oaks JLR at 11am on Thurs, and she was finished at 5:30pm on Friday.

The 2020 Land Rover was very nice, but there is almost no comparing any car to our I-Paces!
That was fast. Glad you for it back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts