Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our Santorini black I-Pace from Colorado Springs to Denver on I-25 - a 140 mile round trip. I was nervous as our 2 very young grandchildren went along for the ride. The weather was perfect and the car performed flawlessly. We attained 25.6 kWh/100 miles (133 MPGe) in Comfort Mode on the first leg which includes an 1800 ft drop in elevation.

Drive home saw the temperature in the low 80s so we ran the AC for over half the trip yet we still managed 37.5 kWh/100 miles (90 MPGe) with the associated gain in altitude. We left the garage with a range prediction of 233 miles and pulled back in with 106 still showing. Excellent trip and the grandkids love our I-Pace! What range anxiety?

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sciencegeek, that's certainly true if we wander away from major highways and well traveled roads but Colorado is fortunate to have lots of charging stations. I don't have the nerve or patience to drive cross country but things are getting better. I kept my Ford Fusion for those types of trips but I'm lucky to get 20 MPG city and 30 highway. Our lovely I-Pace handles 95% of my driving needs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just waiting for EA to open their DCFC in Frisco so I can travel from Denver to Grand Junction.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meldev, I love the color of your car! Things are getting better for the EV community with new charging stations popping up everywhere. I think we can get to Grand Junction via Buena Vista as there is a fast charger there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am in the middle of my first medium long trip in the I-pace from New York to Virginia Beach. So far it has been great. I found two Electrify America stations on the way and both charged perfectly. Add to that a FREE charge at Maryland House on I-95 and this has been a great trip with no Battery Range issues.

I will say that cruising at 75 -80 certainly sucks the electrons a lot faster.. LOL

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PGhiron, sounds like you're enjoying the drive, eh? What kind of range are you getting at highway speed?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did a mini road trip of my own from DC to the Smith Bowman Distillery (highly recommended!) in Fredericksburg, VA this past weekend. The trip was around 60 miles each way with 1/3rd in urban Memorial Day traffic and the rest at highway speeds (75-80 mph) with a few bursts of rapid acceleration to get around slow cars (and for fun). I set out with the SOC at 100% and GoM showing a range of 264 miles (temps were in the high 70s/mid 80s). There were four adults in the car and we had the AC and the front cooled seats going full time. On the way back we had a couple cases of bourbon and gin plus the extra weight of all the food/drinks we had at lunch (@Foode - also highly recommended). The In Control app showed a consumption of 35.5 kWh/100 mi on the way there and 35.3 kWh/100 mi on the way back. When I got home the SoC was at 49% with the GoM showing a range of 120 miles. According to my calculations the furthest I will ever need to go on a single charge is 120 miles. My concerns of range have officially been banished.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here's an article about a long trip in England and the travails of EV driving where there's not a lot of support:

https://www.techradar.com/news/jaguar-i-pace-pushed-to-lands-end-and-back-again-all-with-an-app

I'm not sure I have the patience to try something like this.
That is an odd article. There are a lot of CCS chargers on that route, at least 20 in 300 miles. The biggest gap is 62.8 miles between chargers.

I guess they wanted to use only one brand of CCS?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't want to jinx myself, but Friday I'm going to Salt Lake City, Utah from Norco. It's a 1,320 mile round trip through the desert. The only major city on the way is Las Vegas. Most of the EA sites are still under construction.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't want to jinx myself, but Friday I'm going to Salt Lake City, Utah from Norco. It's a 1,320 mile round trip through the desert. The only major city on the way is Las Vegas. Most of the EA sites are still under construction.
Good luck and report back please. Looks like you should be able to do Norco to Victorville and Victorville to Baker and Baker to Las Vegas. Can't remember who posted prior, but they had good luck with Chargers in Baker at the worlds tallest thermometer.

Las Vegas to Salt Lake City looks daunting. Too bad the Walmart SuperCenter EA are not up on that route. Several Maverick service station with chargepoint, but PlugShare doesn't really say what their output is.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Good luck and report back please. Looks like you should be able to do Norco to Victorville and Victorville to Baker and Baker to Las Vegas. Can't remember who posted prior, but they had good luck with Chargers in Baker at the worlds tallest thermometer.

Las Vegas to Salt Lake City looks daunting. Too bad the Walmart SuperCenter EA are not up on that route. Several Maverick service station with chargepoint, but PlugShare doesn't really say what their output is.
I think I was the first retail I-Pace to charge at Baker in early December. I can go from Norco, to Baker, to LV. The Maverick stations are 50's. There is a 300 mile stretch that requires them.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Looks like an easy drive with CCS every 150 miles or so. Granted it will take you an extra 5-6 hours each way vs. a normal car, but doable

·
Registered
11 Posts
I-PACE SIERRA / MOUNTAIN DRIVING TIPS

I did a Tahoe <--> Bay Area trip last weekend. Here are some tips for I-Pacers planning on Sierra/mountain driving... note that I had mild conditions (55 degrees and drizzle), no traffic and drove conservatively in Eco mode within 5mph of the posted speed limit.

DESCENDING Hwy 80 from Donner Summit to Newcastle (-6,282' over 61 miles, avg 2% grade) consumed ~24kWh according to the car's Power Gauge; about 0.39kWh/mile. But the InControl app reported more optimistic results, showing I averaged just 0.25kWh/mi over a similar distance with a lighter grade.

ASCENDING the same stretch, the Power Guage reported I consumed ~109kWh, almost 1.8kWh/mile - ouch! Again the InControl app reported I was more efficient, averaging 0.6kWh/mile between Roseville and Incline Village. The truth lies somewhere in between.

RANGE: Climbing and descending confuses the I-Pace's Power Guage - don't believe it's range forecast. For long climbs budget for ~1.5kWh/mile; for descents budget ~0.3kWh/mile.
Downhill range is Tahoe-->East Bay. Descending from my 7,450' Incline Village home with a full charge, I reached sea-level Walnut Creek (190 miles) with the Power Guage showing I had ~20+ miles to spare.
Uphilll range is Roseville-->Tahoe. Ascending, I left the sea-level Whole Foods Roseville EVGo fast-chargers with 90% capacity and climbed home (103 miles) with the Power Guage showing ~15 miles of remaining range.

Adjust expectations for cold, heat, snow and traffic jams!

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
1. How did you measure your consumption?
2. The inControl App power consumption calculator is wrong, people should ignore it

·
Registered
67 Posts
ASCENDING the same stretch, the Power Guage reported I consumed ~109kWh
Jaguar has stated that the I-PACE has an effective capacity of 84.7kWh, so I assume you must have charged at one of the Shell stations?

Uphilll range is Roseville-->Tahoe. Ascending, I left the sea-level Whole Foods Roseville EVGo fast-chargers with 90% capacity and climbed home (103 miles) with the Power Guage showing ~15 miles of remaining range.

Adjust expectations for cold, heat, snow and traffic jams!
And speed! Out of curiosity, about how fast were you going?

Normally I go with a "charge to 90% and expect to get about 150 miles" rule-of-thumb on a road trip. After reading your report, I'm a lot more likely to pay attention to elevation gain as part of that equation.

Then again I've seen a 2014 LEAF charging on L2 at Stevens Pass in the dead of winter, so I suppose anything is possible if you've got enough patience.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Looks like an easy drive with CCS every 150 miles or so. Granted it will take you an extra 5-6 hours each way vs. a normal car, but doable
By "normal," do you mean, "internal combustion engine?"
Is there another type of car that fits the definition of ‘normal’ better?

I’m not familiar with one...

“nor·mal
/ˈnôrməl/

adjective
1. conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
synonyms: usual, standard, typical, stock, common, ordinary, customary, conventional, habitual, accustomed, expected, wonted, everyday, regular, routine, day-to-day, daily, established, settled, set, fixed, traditional, quotidian, prevailing

noun
1. the usual, average, or typical state or condition.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my car in San Jose and drove it down to Los Angeles the night I purchased it. I just know it was a LONG and very inconvenient drive. The chargers along the 101 barely put out 50kw.

I had to stop in King City, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Barbara. I only use the I-Pace in SoCal and I love it, but if I were doing a cross country trip or a long distance trip I would sooner rent an ICE vehicle. Just too difficult to manage on long hauls waiting 45 minutes every 150 miles or so.

I also have a Fuel Cell Honda and have found it to be really great driving throughout California.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts