Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after a month of owning my I-Pace HSE, I had an opportunity to stretch Kitty's legs a bit before I really jump into the deep end on a longer excursion. The setup was a day trip to Bellingham from Seattle. The particulars (let me know if I missed any other variables):
  • Daytime temperature 75 F on a clear day (a bit ideal)
  • Return trip temperature 67 F on a clear night
  • Number of passengers: 2
  • Eco mode enabled
  • 1 Phone connected to charging and using Android Auto
  • Distance between locations: ~85 mi
  • No cruise control- all other safety/autonomy features enabled
  • Climate control: 70 degrees F with level 1 fan speed for both passengers
  • Seat cooling enabled for one passenger
  • Stereo set to ~15 (much quieter than I tend to have it when I drive solo)
  • Less than .5 miles driven off highway between starting point and destination
  • 20" tires (forgot to document initially)
Some observational notes about this trip for those who aren't familiar- the final 15-20 miles of the approach to Bellingham features some fairly steep inclines. This had an impact on my average speed as I'm negotiating other vehicles who are slowing down. It also makes sense that this would have an impact on range. One would think this would improve range on the return trip, however I've noticed with my three previous vehicles (2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, 2014 BMW ActiveHybrid 3, and 2017 Jaguar F-Pace R Sport) keeping the same speed somehow meant reduced MPG with or without cruise control engaged- I always seemed to get slightly worse mileage on the return trip. I'm not going to claim perfectly controlled variables and statistics, but I am the type of person who resets the tripometer when they fill the tank to calculate overall mileage, and I try to strategize full refills at the end of longer trips to see if I can improve my mileage and the cars instant MPG monitor is something I keep to the forefront so that I can fine tune my speed/mpg (even if I can't be sure it's 100% accurate. I have a number of friends in Bellingham, so I go probably 4-6x per year. I've also done this trip a handful of times in a 2016 Mazda3 with the same impression based on the instant MPG meter.

The results:

• Departing Trip
    • Starting battery percentage: 94% (though I wrote down 95% in my notes as a result of what the I-Pace reported, WattCatt reports my SOC at 94% when I disconnected the charger- I am supplying the WattCat screenshot since I didn't take one of what the I-Pace reported)
    • End battery percentage: 57% (originally posted as 67%)
    • Average Speed: 65 mph
    • Miles driven: 84.9
    • kWh/100 mi: 36.1
    • kW/h generated: .7
  • Return Trip
    • Starting battery percentage: 62% (I also forgot to document this with an image)
    • End battery Percentage: 23%
    • Average Speed: 66 mph
    • Miles driven: 85
    • kWh/100 mi: 36.3
    • kWh/generated: .6
My first impressions are cautiously optimistic, and I'm fairly happy with the result. Based on the I-Pace's on board computer, I was able to substantially beat the often documented ~44 kWh /100 mi consumption rate typically associated with highway drives in other reviews. Since most people suggest paying attention to the charge percentage rather than the GOM, I considered adding my own calculation of miles driven per % of charge, but after looking at the result, it seems somewhat unrealistic that I might over 290 out of a fully charged battery pack on the highway, since The 36.3 kWh/100 mi figure suggests that I would get ~233 mi assuming I can use up to 84.7 of my battery pack at most.

Some questions I have after this first trip:

1) Is the percentage of the battery pack based on ~84-86 usable kWh or the full 90 kWh battery pack?
2) How accurate is the kWh/100 mi gauge on the I-Pace? My experience with my F-Pace was that the MPG gauge over the course of a full tank of gas could be off by as much as 2 MPG when I calculated it at refill (it always rated itself at least .5 mpg lower than what I calculated after a refill).

I understand a big difference with my test compared to others is the use of cruise control. While I completely agree that this helps to control the human variable as much as possible, I consider that not all CC systems are implemented well enough to maximize the efficiency of the car. My experience has been that most cruise control produces horrible efficiency- I rarely activated CC on my F-Pace for this reason. My only good experience was with my ActiveHybrid 3- as it could sometimes produce better MPG results than I could at similar average speeds on the same trips (I take at least 7 trips down to Portland each year, some times multiple times per month, so I have a lot of reproduced data to draw from for those cars).

My main goal with the I-Pace is to be able to make it at least to Portland (~180 mi) without stopping, with a little overhead. Most testing I've seen suggests it is very possible, but my ability to get there may be hampered with colder temperatures (some tests showing ~170 mi is more realistic with basic creature comforts active through the drive). I should be taking my first trip with the I-Pace to Portland within the next few weeks (plus I'll be doing a number of day trips out to Washington's Islands and Olympic Peninsula). I'm curious to hear others experiences on ranged highway trips, and maybe someone has actually successfully completed a Seattle-Portland run and can offer their experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
Calculations:

57% battery used. 0.57 * 84kWH = 47.88kWH used
170 miles / 0.57 = 298 miles total range

That seems pretty amazing for highway miles with A/C running. Pretty sure I'm not getting anywhere near that, but I haven't really been documenting my travels. I'm starting to do that. I've seen many suggest more like 200 mile range on the highway. I think even the Jaguar website would have range close to 200 miles on the highway. Yeah, website suggests 197 miles of range under your conditions. Actually only 190 miles with A/C on.

Looks good for you so far!

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
1) Is the percentage of the battery pack based on ~84-86 usable kWh or the full 90 kWh battery pack.
It's based on usable capacity, which for a good battery is about what you state.

2) How accurate is the kWh/100 mi gauge on the I-Pace?
Very accurate.

I understand a big difference with my test compared to others is the use of cruise control.
Cruise control inefficiency, if it exists at all, is negligible. Your driving style is much more important by comparison.

My main goal with this car is to be able to make it at least to Portland (~180 mi) without stopping, with a little overhead.
You went 170 miles and had 23% left in the tank. What's not to like? Yeah, what DocHudson said! Actually, Doc, he used 72%, but that's still good.
Edit: I didn't read the post carefully enough, ignore this point 🍺

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
You went 170 miles and had 23% left in the tank. What's not to like? Yeah, what DocHudson said! Actually, Doc, he used 72%, but that's still good.
Unless I read his data wrong, he lost 15% battery while at his destination. I assume he was driving while at his destination. Can you confirm @RogueLegend?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should add one more note: I documented the starting and ending percentages of each leg of the trip because we did do some driving around town and I took advantage of a free hour of charging at one of the stations.

So the scenario wasn't that we drove, parked and turned around. But for each leg, non highway driving was less than .5 miles

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
456 Posts
I should add one more note: I documented the starting and ending percentages of each leg of the trip because we did do some driving around town and I took advantage of a free hour of charging at one of the stations.

So the scenario wasn't that we drove, parked and turned around. But for each leg, non highway driving was less than .5 miles
Your observation that the change of SoC was not consistent with the kW/100miles used is correct. I suspect that one or more of your % readings was incorrect. The estimate of 233miles per a full charge (84kW) based on 36kW/100miles is good. The 290ish miles based on % charge is probably not. If %s are correct then I am stumped, the numbers usually correlate real closely for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All, I'd like to apologize for a few things- aside from the fact that I could have been more meticulous in taking photos of the figures, I entered at least one of them incorrectly. I wrote this post on and off over several days. In my excitement to share the post didn't double check myself on the figures (or some very clear grammatical mistakes). I will be updating the incorrectly entered figures in red and supplying the photos I did take.

I appreciate all your feedback, and I'm sorry for sending the conversation in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
456 Posts
All, I'd like to apologize for a few things- aside from the fact that I could have been more meticulous in taking photos of the figures, I entered at least one of them incorrectly. I wrote this post on and off over several days. In my excitement to share the post didn't double check myself on the figures (or some very clear grammatical mistakes). I will be updating the incorrectly entered figures in red and supplying the photos I did take.

I appreciate all your feedback, and I'm sorry for sending the conversation in the wrong direction.
No need to apologise.

I was just interested in the discrepancy in the numbers. 230ish miles on the highway is great data to promote the I-Pace, and counter some of the "bad press" out there on the 'net regarding range anxiety.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
85 Posts
I’d find value in a highway test that didn’t include any charging between the outbound and inbound trips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’d find value in a highway test that didn’t include any charging between the outbound and inbound trips.
Would a one way trip suffice? The trip to Bellingham was meant to be a test run for a 180 mile upcoming trip to Portland, which should consume the vast majority of the battery. I plan on documenting that trip as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
If you've charged to 100% and don't push it too hard the trip to Portland should be no problem, your trips already show that. If you think you're running into problems by the time you reach Vancouver you can gas up here at an EA station: 9000 NE Hwy 99

·
Registered
776 Posts
Calculations:

57% battery used. 0.57 * 84kWH = 47.88kWH used
170 miles / 0.57 = 298 miles total range

That seems pretty amazing for highway miles with A/C running. Pretty sure I'm not getting anywhere near that, but I haven't really been documenting my travels. I'm starting to do that. I've seen many suggest more like 200 mile range on the highway. I think even the Jaguar website would have range close to 200 miles on the highway. Yeah, website suggests 197 miles of range under your conditions. Actually only 190 miles with A/C on.
I’m confused. It would seem on his trip down, he used 37% of his battery (he started with 94% and ended with 57%). He drove 85 miles. That would put his range, at least on the trip down, as approximately 230 miles.

His return trip used 39% of his battery and he drove 85 miles, for an approximate range of 218 miles. His average range was about 224 miles. IOW he used approximately 76% of his battery to drive 170 miles.

What am I missing, I know it’s something.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
85 Posts
Would a one way trip suffice? The trip to Bellingham was meant to be a test run for a 180 mile upcoming trip to Portland, which should consume the vast majority of the battery. I plan on documenting that trip as well.
Yes, I think it would be good data. My wife and I have talked about a road trip in the I-Pace at some point in the future. I've mapped out the route using the Plug Share app, and many of the stops are at the Electrify America DC Rapid Chargers that can be found along the interstate highways at Walmart Super Centers. Most of them are less than 150 miles apart, but there are a few that are a little further. It would be interesting to see how far you can go comfortably on the highway between charges.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes, I think it would be good data. My wife and I have talked about a road trip in the I-Pace at some point in the future. I've mapped out the route using the Plug Share app, and many of the stops are at the Electrify America DC Rapid Chargers that can be found along the interstate highways at Walmart Super Centers. Most of them are less than 150 miles apart, but there are a few that are a little further. It would be interesting to see how far you can go comfortably on the highway between charges.
You just have to be careful that all the chargers are operational. Although improving, EA doesn't have the greatest reputation for reliability.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
85 Posts
That's good feedback. I've only used their DC rapid charger twice, and that was before my home charger was installed. I had no issues, but I've heard of reliability problems with their network. I'd hate to get stuck on the interstate highway in rural Nebraska without any charging options.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts