Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Further update: My car died again for the same reasons. Had it towed.

FYI to all members, if you need to tow your Ipace. There is a neutral switch in the hood you can enable to protect your car.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,427 Posts
As posted 4 years ago

· Registered
6 Posts
Forum Members: I have a First Edition I Pace. Went to start it, battery showed full charge. All the warning signals started coming up (Don't drive, Can driver, not safe to drive, gear box fault, traction fault etc.), the car then died and became a brick. Called the Tow and he tested the 12v, it was charged. It is currently at the dealer. Anyone with a similar experience. The software is up to date. I will post an update once the dealer gets back to me. The sad part is my warranty expired 1 month ago :cry:.
Yes. Happened to me last July/August. There's an active recall for the high voltage wiring harness that needs to be replaced. It took over a month and a half to complete as dealers in southern Cali were swamped plus the part had to be placed on order; note, the work order takes three days of labor. Mine is still under warranty which was fortunate especially since the windshield started leaking after the excessive rain we've been getting lately. Not sure if it's worth negotiating a deal with Jaguar given the risks of not fixing the harness. From a safety perspective they may be required to do the work.

· Registered
263 Posts
Yes. Happened to me last July/August. There's an active recall for the high voltage wiring harness that needs to be replaced. It took over a month and a half to complete as dealers in southern Cali were swamped plus the part had to be placed on order; note, the work order takes three days of labor. Mine is still under warranty which was fortunate especially since the windshield started leaking after the excessive rain we've been getting lately. Not sure if it's worth negotiating a deal with Jaguar given the risks of not fixing the harness. From a safety perspective they may be required to do the work.
I had my small battery replaced on my FE after the car won't be able to start about 11 months ago. Now the samething happened again (the same battery was measure at 5.4v) and the car was towed to a dealer a week ago but with no indication when they may get into it. The service manager said something like wiring harness could be the cause for the repace bettery got bad so soon. I called Jaguar but they say there is no wiring harness recall on my car. Mine is still under the warranty, too, but without the car for an extented period of time without a loaner will be a problem. At one point, I was thinking just to replace the small battery myself following instructions by Ayepace.

· Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,130 Posts
I had my small battery replaced on my FE after the car won't be able to start about 11 months ago. Now the samething happened again (the same battery was measure at 5.4v) and the car was towed to a dealer a week ago but with no indication when they may get into it. The service manager said something like wiring harness could be the cause for the repace bettery got bad so soon. I called Jaguar but they say there is no wiring harness recall on my car. Mine is still under the warranty, too, but without the car for an extented period of time without a loaner will be a problem. At one point, I was thinking just to replace the small battery myself following instructions by Ayepace.
In the US, there was no official recall regarding the wiring harness. However, they are covered under warranty. Availability of parts is improving, so only a couple of weeks may be appropriate, depending on available techs.

· Registered
6 Posts
Given Qtown's comment below it may be worth exploring the potential to get the part ordered and have them replace the HV wiring harness. If anything, for peace of mind I'd go out of my way to make sure the battery pack doesn't go up in flames while I'm sitting on top of it... My situation took quite a bit of extensive back and forth with the technician but the issue was serious was serious enough that they had to do something to make the vehicle operable. Regarding the loaner situation, Jag customer relations (1.800.452.4827) should be able to reimburse you for costs associated for rentals; they are paying $45/day for two weeks I needed mine.

· Registered
4 Posts
Went to start my 2019 last night but dead with the usual Traction batter, gear box fault messages. This was similar situation to last Feb when I had to have the 12v replaced. What I think was different this time was the P (of parking) light flashing continually and the break pedal making noises and giving significant resistance when pressed. The local Jag service rep thought it was same issue as last year but just called to say its the harness. Good news is parts are in stock in the UK and should be here in SoCal mid week so expect to get car back in a week (fingers crossed)

· Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,130 Posts
Went to start my 2019 last night but dead with the usual Traction batter, gear box fault messages. This was similar situation to last Feb when I had to have the 12v replaced. What I think was different this time was the P (of parking) light flashing continually and the break pedal making noises and giving significant resistance when pressed. The local Jag service rep thought it was same issue as last year but just called to say its the harness. Good news is parts are in stock in the UK and should be here in SoCal mid week so expect to get car back in a week (fingers crossed)
Your description looks very similar to mine from last Spring. Hopefully with parts more available you'll get it back quicker.
With mine they had to replace the aux 12v battery as well as the wiring harness, and also updated multiple pieces of software.
There has to be some connection between the wiring harness going bad and the 12v aux battery being unable to hold a charge.

· Registered
125 Posts
Been postin on another thread. But you all are correct. Here’s the other post:
Borrowed a battery charger and connected to the starter battery while the lithium jumper still connected to aux battery. Key fob worked, nothing worked before. Jumped in and drove it to dealer. The aux battery was replaced 3/22, but not the starter battery. Starter battery is over 4 years old as this 19’ model was received in 1/19. Hopefully starter battery didn’t damage aux battery?
Also let me add another question. Why wouldn’t it do anything when I used the lithium jump on the starter battery? Maybe both batteries were low? I didn’t try just hooking the charger to the starter battery without the lithium booster connected to the aux battery.
Regardless thanks everyone for helping.
Follow up . It was the 12v starter battery.

Attachments

· Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE
112 Posts
See 2020 MY and before Auxiliary battery replacement for replacing the auxiliary battery. :)
I talked directly with the parts manager vs through service and they are offering the batteries at a much better price. Starter battery would be less than I could get from an auto parts store, the aux a little bit more then your guide but then I don’t need to modify anything so I’m thinking I might just pull the trigger. The aux battery they have in stock has a born date of 01/2022, wondering if I should be concerned with a battery that’s been sitting on the shelf for a year.

· Registered
678 Posts
It seems I was due to change both battery. 3 weeks after the small one died, yesterday I had this symptom of flashing all warnings light, even when the car was off. I was thinking about a low voltage on the other battery and the module in charge of the flasher not able to operate properly because of low 12v.
I boost the main 12v, and everything get back to normal state. But this morning the car is completely dead. Can’t even open the door. So I manage to manually open the door, manually open the frunk, and test the main 12v. I read 4v. Completely dead. Now I need to find an new 99R/T4…

· Registered
125 Posts
It seems I was due to change both battery. 3 weeks after the small one died, yesterday I had this symptom of flashing all warnings light, even when the car was off. I was thinking about a low voltage on the other battery and the module in charge of the flasher not able to operate properly because of low 12v.
I boost the main 12v, and everything get back to normal state. But this morning the car is completely dead. Can’t even open the door. So I manage to manually open the door, manually open the frunk, and test the main 12v. I read 4v. Completely dead. Now I need to find an new 99R/T4…
Same as my experience. I went about 6 months after aux battery replaced.

· Premium Member
2,427 Posts

· Premium Member
2,427 Posts
The 99R/T4 battery should not be hard to find since it was also used in Chevys, Fords, Nissans and THINKs of various models and model years. The aging I-paces may push up demand for them. ;)

· Registered
263 Posts
Given Qtown's comment below it may be worth exploring the potential to get the part ordered and have them replace the HV wiring harness. If anything, for peace of mind I'd go out of my way to make sure the battery pack doesn't go up in flames while I'm sitting on top of it... My situation took quite a bit of extensive back and forth with the technician but the issue was serious was serious enough that they had to do something to make the vehicle operable. Regarding the loaner situation, Jag customer relations (1.800.452.4827) should be able to reimburse you for costs associated for rentals; they are paying $45/day for two weeks I needed mine.
Just heard from the local derader after almost two weeks confirming it is wiring harness (not sure which one) but they cannot do it and need to tow to another dearler 90 miles aways, saying need two tech but they have only one (seems odd). I do have an appointment at that dearler but they won't have a loaner until 2/1.

The car had over 100 miles when towed to the local dealer but kept going down while sitting there and now is at -1 mile and -1% (from Wattcat readings). Maybe it is just bad communiction with the app due to bad small batteries as the car should not do this. Should I be concerned as going down to 0 may cause damage for the main battery?

Seems this happens to many of us.

· Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Just heard from the local derader after almost two weeks confirming it is wiring harness (not sure which one) but they cannot do it and need to tow to another dearler 90 miles aways, saying need two tech but they have only one (seems odd). I do have an appointment at that dearler but they won't have a loaner until 2/1.

The car had over 100 miles when towed to the local dealer but kept going down while sitting there and now is at -1 mile and -1% (from Wattcat readings). Maybe it is just bad communiction with the app due to bad small batteries as the car should not do this. Should I be concerned as going down to 0 may cause damage for the main battery?

Seems this happens to many of us.
Two techs really are required for the surgery. JLR has very strong instructions and procedures when it comes to working on the high voltage system in the car. They have to follow it to the letter. In parts of the procedures the second tech has to stand by with a special hook to pull the first tech away if something goes very wrong.

The -1 readings is due to the car going into deep sleep. New readings are not available to the JLR servers. It will look like this on a perfectly healthy car that has gone into deep sleep (more than 4 days of inactivity).

No you should not be concerned. Jaguar has said these cars can sit for 6 months without any issues.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts