Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Finally got my VIN number and now confirmed at retailer 28th November (ordered in June). Not sure how long between at dealer to retailed to customer but I’m hoping not that long.
I asked my dealer that exact question just yesterday. He told me "one day of dealer prep and then we hand it over". So, one day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked my i-Pace up on Saturday in Ft. Worth!

So my dealer called me late Thursday 11/8 afternoon and told me that my i-Pace arrived and was ready for pre-delivery prep. Picked it up on Saturday morning. Excellent delivery guidance and support from the dealer's team. Drove it throughout the rest of the weekend.

First impressions - unbelievably tight handling and driving characteristics. Excellend visibility with the exception of rear window which I was expecting due to slope and shape. AS for charging range, I don't think that I'll get much more than 200 miles per charge but it's so early that I'll be certain to re-post throughout the month.

I had a ChargePoint home charger installed a couple of weeks ago and there are a few "quirks" about it. First and foremost, you have to have both the charger in Bluetooth range and your home wifi to fully install the app. I need to get a range extender to make that happen. Second, while the CP instructions say that if it's not connected to the internet the light will turn from white to blue while charging, mine never did. Dealer is having same experience at the dealership with their ChargePoint charger. Finally, once you place the charging "nozzle" into the i-Pace, the vehicle locks it into place. No amount of pulling or tugging will release the charger, even though the vehicle is unlocked. After calling CP tech support, they said to try locking/unlocking the car several times. Worked like a charm. So be forewarned that, at least with i-Pace, you have to "unlock" the car to release the charger.

I'll continue to post regularly.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy your new toy...I mean car!

As for locking chargers, that is a common behaviour in a lot of cars. Some of it comes from Europe where the cord that attaches to public chargers is actually yours, not from the machine, so it could get stolen. Some cars have a setting that will allow you to specify whether it is always locked, locked during charging or unlocked, but some don't.

Have you looked at the settings for vehicle? I don't see anything in the manual about this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad they lock them down. Can you imagine sitting down for dinner expecting that your car is charging outside, only to come out and discover some @sshole unplugged it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Congrats! I’m told mine arrives Friday! My ChargePoint installer and ready to go. Thanks for the tips. Would be the way it goes I’m traveling out of town when it arrives. But gives them time to do all their checks and updates etc..

·
Registered
15 Posts

As for locking chargers, that is a common behaviour in a lot of cars. Some of it comes from Europe where the cord that attaches to public chargers is actually yours, not from the machine, so it could get stolen. Some cars have a setting that will allow you to specify whether it is always locked, locked during charging or unlocked, but some don't.

Have you looked at the settings for vehicle? I don't see anything in the manual about this.
I'll take a look but the dealer wasn't aware of this behavior either. He's taking notes from me regarding all these first experiences in order to pass them on to new customers. I enjoy being an "early adopter"!

·
Registered
134 Posts

I'll take a look but the dealer wasn't aware of this behavior either. He's taking notes from me regarding all these first experiences in order to pass them on to new customers. I enjoy being an "early adopter"!
Let me know if you find the secret to getting the charger to let go. I’ve set the alarm off a couple of times now. I’ve locked and unlocked but cable still has a mind of it’s own.

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts

Let me know if you find the secret to getting the charger to let go. I’ve set the alarm off a couple of times now. I’ve locked and unlocked but cable still has a mind of it’s own.
I also was consistently having to use the little emergency release cable to get it to let go, until I saw the thing about locking/unlocking. Since then it has worked every time. What seems to work for me is to lock/unlock twice and then immediately remove the cable. If I take a little too long, it locks again

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So after putting a deposit down in June and getting given the final date of 17th November for dealer arrival, I cancelled. Wait wait wait, I cancelled from the dreadful Austin Jaguar Dealership, they don’t know what’s going on nor seem to know how to find out, they’re though quite happy to blame Jaguar. It turns out after another call to Jaguar HQ (something i have found more informative than calling the dealer) there is a batch fault with my ordered car, it is in the US but they can’t provide a fix ETA. The absolute joke of it all is I called 4 dealers in Texas that same afternoon all of them had stock for sale. I now pick up my Jaguar IPace from Dallas not Austin (the new new car is perfect) the last 6 months of waiting for updates essentially a waste of my time. The truth is there are dealers selling at MRSP with stock for sale today. Mostly the stock the have are HSE’s but I found me an SE Corris Grey loaded up. If you want one call around, 2018 tax season! I’ll post a picture soon.

·
Registered
966 Posts
For what it’s worth this mirrors my experience in Maryland, mine was faulty and most Jag dealers don’t seem to really want to sell a car or help the customer. I had to hound them to find out my car had a fault and it disappeared into regional service. And there are cars available for purchase on the lots.

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
For what it’s worth this mirrors my experience in Maryland, mine was faulty and most Jag dealers don’t seem to really want to sell a car or help the customer. I had to hound them to find out my car had a fault and it disappeared into regional service. And there are cars available for purchase on the lots.
For a car that is supposedly in such high demand, it does seem like there are a lot of them still sitting on the lot...is the 'high demand' an illusion or very regional? I had called around looking for cars in early September (before they actually arrived on the lots) and invariably were told I should probaby order one as they are super high demand and they couldn't promise to sell me one of there pre-allocated stock cars. In the last 3 weeks, I've been called by 5 different dealers to let me know they have cars on the lot ready for immediate delivery...

I'm beginning to think the I-Pace might be the DeLorean of our times...

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't think so, I believe it was a hot car, but here in the US there is so much misunderstanding and fear of BEVs that people may be avoiding buying them. For example the whole range issue, it is well understood by those who have had BEVs before, but it takes a little getting used to and can spook people.

I am getting the sense the demand in Europe is pretty high, as the idea of BEVs are becoming rather normal and in fact will be mandated in the near future. But here in the US I fear they will always be an "exotic" item for most, so yes demand will be lower.

But from what I have already seen it is NO DeLorean. It is indeed an achievement by Jaguar, it is quite an impressive car, much less the first really polished AWD luxury BEV (and yes I am including the Teslas here). Delorean was all look and no significant "car" while the I-Pace is a fast car, good handling, somewhat off road capable, luxury features, etc etc.

The I-Pace is the first AWD that has convinced me to give up my ICE Audi for winter driving, and if you have owned Audis an their degree of refinement in drive and luxury that is indeed saying something about the I-Pace.

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
I don't think so, I believe it was a hot car, but here in the US there is so much misunderstanding and fear of BEVs that people may be avoiding buying them. For example the whole range issue, it is well understood by those who have had BEVs before, but it takes a little getting used to and can spook people.

I am getting the sense the demand in Europe is pretty high, as the idea of BEVs are becoming rather normal and in fact will be mandated in the near future. But here in the US I fear they will always be an "exotic" item for most, so yes demand will be lower.

But from what I have already seen it is NO DeLorean. It is indeed an achievement by Jaguar, it is quite an impressive car, much less the first really polished AWD luxury BEV (and yes I am including the Teslas here). Delorean was all look and no significant "car" while the I-Pace is a fast car, good handling, somewhat off road capable, luxury features, etc etc.

The I-Pace is the first AWD that has convinced me to give up my ICE Audi for winter driving, and if you have owned Audis an their degree of refinement in drive and luxury that is indeed saying something about the I-Pace.
Hope you aren’t too serious about traveling anywhere too far or fast in the winter...9 F this morning, with preconditioning averaged about 73kWh/100 miles driving in grandma mode.

DeLoreans were fawned over at launch too...

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hope you aren’t too serious about traveling anywhere too far or fast in the winter...9 F this morning, with preconditioning averaged about 73kWh/100 miles driving in grandma mode.

DeLoreans were fawned over at launch too...
So was this the preconditioning when it wasn't plugged into L2 charger or it was?

Hey I don't really fawn over any car, I am much more into understanding and experiencing unique new ones. Maybe I'll change my mind once I have the I Pace, but right now it looks like a pretty good car to me. And that holds up compared to some really other unique cars in my experience.

I get the sense there are still a bunch of drive and algorithmic optimizations that will happen over time for this car. This is Jaguars first attempt and every car makes I see seems to refine as they go along. The Bolt is a good car at launch mainly because GM already had a bunch of electric vehicles to learn from.

BTW I am truly sorry that the car hasn't turned out what you had hoped for. It seemed you were excited before delivery but the range is letting you down.

I did find this from August last year:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/tgs-big-jaguar-i-pace-test-part-5-how-far-can-it-actually-go

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
So was this the preconditioning when it wasn't plugged into L2 charger or it was?

Hey I don't really fawn over any car, I am much more into understanding and experiencing unique new ones. Maybe I'll change my mind once I have the I Pace, but right now it looks like a pretty good car to me. And that holds up compared to some really other unique cars in my experience.

I get the sense there are still a bunch of drive and algorithmic optimizations that will happen over time for this car. This is Jaguars first attempt and every car makes I see seems to refine as they go along. The Bolt is a good car at launch mainly because GM already had a bunch of electric vehicles to learn from.

BTW I am truly sorry that the car hasn't turned out what you had hoped for. It seemed you were excited before delivery but the range is letting you down.

I did find this from August last year:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/tgs-big-jaguar-i-pace-test-part-5-how-far-can-it-actually-go[/QUOTE]

If you buy the car not expecting to make more than 150-200 miles (weather dependent) between charges you will probably be happy. It is as nice as any of the German cars, quality/fit/finish/handling/ etc. but I cannot say it is in any way exceptional. Although I only have limited experience with Tesla’s, I think it is much nicer than they are. I wish you the best!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I believe there will be a dip in US sales after the initial surge of new orders.
One year from now will be a better indication of real demand to determine success. Same for Tesla Model 3. Lots of hype at the launch.

DeLorean was a bit weak on many points. I-Pace would seem to be far better built and targets a broader market segment.

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
I believe there will be a dip in US sales after the initial surge of new orders.
One year from now will be a better indication of real demand to determine success. Same for Tesla Model 3. Lots of hype at the launch.

DeLorean was a bit weak on many points. I-Pace would seem to be far better built and targets a broader market segment.
I don’t know if you were buying cars in 1981, but they were all pretty crappy by today’s standards, but the DeLorean was as good as any of it’s competitors.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For a car that is supposedly in such high demand, ...
I have not seen any supposition of high US demand for the I-Pace. It seems like they're shipping I-Paces here in small numbers, and selling them in similar small numbers. I suppose if people like them, they may ship and sell more next year, or the year after that. But for now, it seems like a pretty small niche product.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
And here she is... FYI I drove 225 miles today Dallas to Austin topping up at an EVGO for 30 minutes and arriving with 40 miles spare - I was kinda pushing all buttons and gadgets along the way.

Best

Attachments

41 - 60 of 64 Posts