Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I realized my L2 charging solution was poor (@16 amps, less than half the charging rate possible), I decided to get the Chargepoint installed.

It's hardwired to a newly in place 50 amp circuit, and now as of an 86% state of charge, I've been seeing 20 miles added range per hour and a very steady 7.x kW output. (There is a very slight downward plateau, now showing 19 miles added per hour @ 7.29 kW. Not sure if that is the current real time figure or the new average over this charge period.) I am curious to see how it ramps down closer to 100% SOC.

So the ~20 miles added range per hour compares to just 8 miles before. I am pleased with the proportionately reduced time to charge.

The Chargepoint app inquires about what EV model and year I had, but did not allow selecting the 2019 MY, just 2020. That should not make any difference. (I chuckled when it told me 'nice car!,' as I'm sure it does everyone upon their input. It asks for the color, and then shows a customized image, as is not news to those using it.)

I also like that it calculates the electricity cost after selecting my provider and plan. It is around 10 cents a kWh, by dividing the numbers. It is implying there may be another plan for time of day savings, which I'll research (not that this figure is bad).

The app also shows charging stations, for which I've set an Apple Pay account and the ability to pay with the phone.

I had to use some pressure to get the 'nozzle' to click in place so the charging would start, but that is my only negative comment now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had ChargePoint since June and am happy overall. My only negative is that once every few weeks the system drop out of my WiFi and will not charge until a connection is re-established. Despite having a method to reconnect via the app, I always end up cycling the breaker and then using the app to make the connection. It just happened a few minutes ago. After a confusing first few times trying to reconnect I can get things working in a minute or two.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Our local chargepoint at out Shopping Mall (Topanga Westfield) must have really raised the rates. We've been using them since 2017 and used to be dirt cheap.

7.435 kWh @ $0.28/kWh Today with my I-Pace....1 hour 15 mins of charging was $2.10! That is high!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Our local chargepoint at out Shopping Mall (Topanga Westfield) must have really raised the rates. We've been using them since 2017 and used to be dirt cheap.

7.435 kWh @ $0.28/kWh Today with my I-Pace....1 hour 15 mins of charging was $2.10! That is high!
I love CP chargers, but, 28 is high.I noticed that too when I used the ones by Neimans

The free ones are occupied by Volts for hours and hours.
If they charge a minimal fee, it would be better to keep the leeches away, but not. 28c

My home charger is also CP so it's nice to see the public and home charging under one UI

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
After I realized my L2 charging solution was poor (@16 amps, less than half the charging rate possible), I decided to get the Chargepoint installed.

It's hardwired to a newly in place 50 amp circuit, and now as of an 86% state of charge, I've been seeing 20 miles added range per hour and a very steady 7.x kW output. (There is a very slight downward plateau, now showing 19 miles added per hour @ 7.29 kW. Not sure if that is the current real time figure or the new average over this charge period.) I am curious to see how it ramps down closer to 100% SOC.

So the ~20 miles added range per hour compares to just 8 miles before. I am pleased with the proportionately reduced time to charge.
That's more like it! There's also a couple of charts in the menu, go to 'Charging Activity' :nerd:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the charge power stayed on that (slightly declining) plateau into the 90% charge region and suddenly dropped off a cliff.

Oddly, all that time the Jag remote app was reporting 2 miles range added per hour. Although the time left to charge was correct for 20 miles per hour added.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
So the charge power stayed on that (slightly declining) plateau into the 90% charge region and suddenly dropped off a cliff.
Yeah eventually it shuts off entirely. Before that it goes through a few on/off cycles, which when averaged over a smoothing window looks like a steady drop in charging rate.

Oddly, all that time the Jag remote app was reporting 2 miles range added per hour. Although the time left to charge was correct for 20 miles per hour added.
The car generates a ton of real-time data, which get processed and condensed and sent to "the cloud" via the car SIM. So the information accessed via the API is a bit removed from the actual action, and if there are communication issues or delays things won't seem right.

Having said that, in my case the WattCat info has been accurate in real time lately.

·
Registered
44 Posts

The Jaguar Remote App has a decimal point issue. 2.0 is really 20. 1.6 is 16. etc...

·
Registered
44 Posts

There's just not enough EVs in my area. 7kWh chargers in parking lots are almost all free courtesy chargers. The down side is most of the fee based DC fast chargers are outside the metro area or at dealerships for customers only.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think I am deviating from the original topic, but why are the public L2 prices higher than what it would cost to charge at home? I understand that as a business/service provider, they have inherent costs and need to make profit, but shouldn't they be competing with the home chargers to make it attractive?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Jaguar Remote App has a decimal point issue. 2.0 is really 20. 1.6 is 16. etc...
That would make perfect sense out of my prior '1' and now the '2' miles added to range per hour numbers.

Is it true? I've never seen that report before.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think I am deviating from the original topic, but why are the public L2 prices higher than what it would cost to charge at home? I understand that as a business/service provider, they have inherent costs and need to make profit, but shouldn't they be competing with the home chargers to make it attractive?
No. Just as a convenience store's prices do not match a large grocery store. They have different niche markets and do not directly compete on pricing.

If someone has a home charger and they have enough range left to make it home, they are not the third party provider's customer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have never, ever, had my chargepoint home charger work with delayed charging. In fact, I have never, EVER, had it connect the first plug in. I get the white flashing light, and have to unplug and replug. Second time it works, although I have to do the dumb azz delayed charging through the preconditioning in the car. Very frustrating for something that's supposed to be tech-driven.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have never, ever, had my chargepoint home charger work with delayed charging. In fact, I have never, EVER, had it connect the first plug in. I get the white flashing light, and have to unplug and replug. Second time it works, although I have to do the dumb azz delayed charging through the preconditioning in the car. Very frustrating for something that's supposed to be tech-driven.
I timed charge last night using ChargePoint. The charge port white light is normal when you first plug in. The blue light is only when timed charging is set in the car's system.

To avoid confusing the car I deleted the charge time set in the car, set my desired time in the ChargePoint app and plugged in the charger. The charge port LED flashed white and the Jaguar app showed "initializing". Charging started on time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I timed charge last night using ChargePoint. The charge port white light is normal when you first plug in. The blue light is only when timed charging is set in the car's system.

To avoid confusing the car I deleted the charge time set in the car, set my desired time in the ChargePoint app and plugged in the charger. The charge port LED flashed white and the Jaguar app showed "initializing". Charging started on time.
I may have been doing this wrong from the jump.

I'll check and advise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No worries. It took me a number of times to get it figured out. This issue has been one of the most discussed on the forum. Please PM me if you have any questions.
So, I want to test this, when I plug in the Charge Point set to timed charge, I will see the white light flashing over and over and the dash say "Initializing", correct? Then at 12am, for me, it will start charging? Without having the car set to do anything?

What I have been doing is plugging in, see the white flashing, unplugging, plugging back in, and then immediate charging. I know from you guys and CP this act overrides the CP setting and charges immediately. I think they "initializing" message was throwing me off.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No worries. It took me a number of times to get it figured out. This issue has been one of the most discussed on the forum. Please PM me if you have any questions.
So, I want to test this, when I plug in the Charge Point set to timed charge, I will see the white light flashing over and over and the dash say "Initializing", correct? Then at 12am, for me, it will start charging? Without having the car set to do anything?

What I have been doing is plugging in, see the white flashing, unplugging, plugging back in, and then immediate charging. I know from you guys and CP this act overrides the CP setting and charges immediately. I think they "initializing" message was throwing me off.
You've done everything correctly and the indications are good - White flashing LED and "Initializing" on the instrument panel. The InControl Remote app should also show "Initializing". I think you're set. Please let me know how everything goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's the ticket! I was getting confused between the language used by the car vs the box, but "initializing" works just fine when the magic hour comes around.

For anyone in the future, that's the distinction. No need to use the Jag timed charging feature with a CP home, it will flash white when inserted during non-charging times, and say "intializing." Then when the clock strikes 12a (for PG&E, anyway) it starts charging. I was the problem, not the CP.

Thanks for the assist!

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's the ticket! I was getting confused between the language used by the car vs the box, but "initializing" works just fine when the magic hour comes around.

For anyone in the future, that's the distinction. No need to use the Jag timed charging feature with a CP home, it will flash white when inserted during non-charging times, and say "intializing." Then when the clock strikes 12a (for PG&E, anyway) it starts charging. I was the problem, not the CP.

Thanks for the assist!
You're very welcome! So glad you got it worked out. For me, timed charging was the most difficult thing to work out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts