Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
When it does this, have you tried to immediately pull over, turn off the car, lock the doors and then restart it?
I had this issue twice in the past 2 weeks. While waiting at a traffic light, I did try to turn off car and turn it back on, but it didn't help. It started to work the next time I drove (probably after few days) and planning on taking it to dealer if it happens again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me, the car needs to have been running a while (no AC going by that point) before I stop and the stop needs to be at least 10-15 minutes (it varies) before I start again with 5 minutes of cold air. Over the last few days (we’ve been driving from San Diego to the Bay Area on Route 1 then Tahoe) it’s gotten worse and worse, so much so that it’s only in the morning or after a very long break (1-2 hours) that the car starts with cold air again. I think ambient temperature seems to matter. Its been a horrible 100-110 temperature for most of the cross state drive. Worst possible timing....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Ken, I did the second time it blew hot air while pre-conditioning while plugged in prior to the drive, Pulled over, turn off, got out, and locked the car. Got back in and restarted it with no success. Went to my destination, at the appointment for a couple of hours, came out and it blew cold again.

I'm assuming it's a software issue? Because when it does blow cold, its just as cold as it should be.

I think AC is the biggest flaw of this otherwise well made machine.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
J4, you're saying that it also blew hot during preconditioning? Just to confirm, this can happen regardless of whether one is driving or preconditioning?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello everyone, i'm facing the same issue with my Jaguar i-Pace SE First Edition 2018, but here's a very important detail:
Air conditioner on i-Pace will not work if the car itself is overheated, no matter how long you wait - if i start my i-Pace after a few hours of sun exposure, air-con will work just as a fan, without any cool air, even after two hours of non-stop drive.

of course i went to the officials with this, they checked everything, refilled the air-con's freon, upgraded firmware - but that didn't help. The only workaround is to use Pre-Condition feature, but that might take up to 30 minutes, not always applicable and doesn't really solve the problem that is obviously there!!!

i hope this will give a clue to someone. if the car is overheated - air-con won't work.

please share your ideas, contact me via PM if you need more details on my case.
I live in AZ and where I am, its been around 118F , I noticed If I am still for a long time or parked under the sun, the car give AC priority to the battery since the heat from asphalt is about 135F or higher and after a while the AC blows warm air, but as soon I start moving the AC start cooling the interior as before. So while moving never had any issues, even on i17 going uphill at 122F with stop and go at 3 mils per hr traffic for 2 hrs.
What an amazing car...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Correct SG. I started the pre-conditioning from the app about 10 minutes before I drove, came in, and it was blowing hot air. Started the car, and it blew hot air all the way to my destination 25 minute drive. I took care of business, and a couple hours later, turned on the car and it blew cold again.

The second time was when I pulled over the side of the road, and tried to restart it to no avail and blew hot the whole way to my destination, parked for a couple hours, and blew cold again when I restarted it.

Haven't had this issue when I pre-condition when it's not plugged in. I'll try to pre-condition again while plugged in, and see if it happens a third time.

I'm pretty patient since I understand its a new model, and 2019 is the first of its kind. So I can gloss over the squeaky brakes, or screen freezing up randomly, or laggy interface. But blowing hot air in 100-110 degree heat, and I sweat so much anyways, kinda stinks. Literally. 😓

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update: It did the same thing again twice. Once 3 days ago, and again yesterday.

3 Days ago: Not charging, No Pre-Conditioning. Blew hot air to a gas station 10 minutes away. Grabbed a drink, Restarted the car blew hot air all the way to my destination 25 minutes away. Two hours later, restarted the car and its cold again. Outside temp 90s.

Yesterday: Charging, Pre-Conditioned the car using WattCat like I usually do. Came out 10 minutes later to a car blowing hot air. It blew hot air for the whole 45 minute ride. Three hours later, went to the gym and it blew cold like normal again, Outside temp 100-105.

Crossing my fingers this is just a temporary software glitch. I'm holding off bringing it to the dealer yet, because knowing my luck, she'll run cold the whole time while she's there.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
49 Posts
Update: It did the same thing again twice. Once 3 days ago, and again yesterday.

3 Days ago: Not charging, No Pre-Conditioning. Blew hot air to a gas station 10 minutes away. Grabbed a drink, Restarted the car blew hot air all the way to my destination 25 minutes away. Two hours later, restarted the car and its cold again. Outside temp 90s.

Yesterday: Charging, Pre-Conditioned the car using WattCat like I usually do. Came out 10 minutes later to a car blowing hot air. It blew hot air for the whole 45 minute ride. Three hours later, went to the gym and it blew cold like normal again, Outside temp 100-105.

Crossing my fingers this is just a temporary software glitch. I'm holding off bringing it to the dealer yet, because knowing my luck, she'll run cold the whole time while she's there.
Starting with your second paragraph I’ve had the exact same issue multiple times. I’ve narrowed it down to ... nothing lol

I have been focusing on making sure I always have locked the doors prior to pre-conditioning, I haven’t had the issue since doing that but it’s something that has happened 3 or 4 times in my roughly 100 days of ownership so I won’t know that it makes a difference for another month or so if it doesn’t happen. It always starts from pre-conditioning blowing warm air but I always precondition so again, maybe not indicative of anything

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
816 Posts

It could be the state of charge of the refrigerant in the system or its sensor. An edge case may cause it to say "not enough refrigerant so no cooling possible" or "there's enough refrigerant so let's be cool about it".

Reference the other postings of AC issues and the TSBs about known leak causes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m planning to take mine to the dealer on the way back from the road trip tomorrow. This is beyond enraging and makes a complete joke of a $90K car that’s 2 months old.
unlike one of you, I’m not worried that it’ll work as normal when the dealer gets it. Pattern is very clear and apparently unlike you guys, there’s absolutely no cases where it starts blowing cold air continuously. If I leave the car alone for say, 30-40 minutes and drive again, yes there’s a chance it’ll be blowing cold air BUT only for 10 minutes.
My only concern is that the dealer looks at it first thing in the morning and it’s a dry / 70 degree weather day (San Diego) and think it’s working fine because it’s not as obvious than in 85+ degree weather. I’ll need to tell them about that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's the VINs in the 6000s that had a part that needed to be installed with those with AC problems and the freon leaking. However mines in the 7000s, so I had figured maybe it's not that specific part.

I'm the type that pushes lock until I hear the car beep purely out of instinct. Unfortunately I still have problems.

Regarding Legreg6's frustration. I feel ya, this is my most expensive car I've owned yet, and only my second brand new car (I've bought used for most of my life). It's the only one that I've owned that's had a problem this early that's a pain, especially in 100+ degree weather.

My hesitancy is due to wasting time at the dealership when they could not replicate the problem, only to tell me everything is normal. Ideally I'd like to pin point what events lead to the AC blowing warm air prior going to the dealership. But I'm appreciative of people like Legreg6 to bring it up early, so if they do find out what's wrong, maybe they'll share that info to all dealerships. And I think his problem is worse, which would force me to go to the dealership ASAP in his shoes.

The 2012 Teslas had it's share of problems, and although that doesn't excuse this AC problem, but it's part of being the early adopters. I'd be surprised if they let this issue continue for future I-Paces. A/C units have been around forever, and even my first car, a 15+ year Camry blew cold till the day she died, so crossing my fingers it's not a complicated fix.

Here's hoping we or the dealer figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
49 Posts
I’m planning to take mine to the dealer on the way back from the road trip tomorrow. This is beyond enraging and makes a complete joke of a $90K car that’s 2 months old.
unlike one of you, I’m not worried that it’ll work as normal when the dealer gets it. Pattern is very clear and apparently unlike you guys, there’s absolutely no cases where it starts blowing cold air continuously. If I leave the car alone for say, 30-40 minutes and drive again, yes there’s a chance it’ll be blowing cold air BUT only for 10 minutes.
My only concern is that the dealer looks at it first thing in the morning and it’s a dry / 70 degree weather day (San Diego) and think it’s working fine because it’s not as obvious than in 85+ degree weather. I’ll need to tell them about that.
Mine blows freezing cold. I’ve had it happen randomly but if that car doesn’t get freezing cold within 10 minutes (I set it to 60) there’s an issue. There’s an issue with mine and others, just not one worth messing with. There is something more going on with your car, it sounds like a problem. If you are not worried about the issue occurring at the dealership as I and others are then it’s happening too much. Im sorry you are dealing with this

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wbhwaco description is what I'm seeing as well.

I'll know within 5-10 minutes, if it's not blowing cold by then, the warm air problem will occur. 4 times so far since I purchased it brand new in April. I'm still gambling towards software issue for me since it blows as cold as it should most of the time, if it's a faulty valve with leaking or low freon, I'd assume it would blow warm more consistently.

I went ahead and emailed Jaguar so at least they're aware of it, and forwarded them the various threads on this forum in it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It did it again today.

Plugged in and pre-conditioned before my drive. Blows cold with no issues. Went home, and plugged in a couple of hours, pre-conditioned, and blew hot air all the way to work (30 min drive). Came into work soaked in sweat (105 degree weather). I'm assuming when I get off, it'll blow cold on the way home.

This 1-2 occurrences a month in a brand new luxury car in 100+ degree weather is a bit of a pain. Went ahead and scheduled an appointment with the dealer.

Let's hope they'll recognize what's causing the issue.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
After 5 months and 7600 miles it was warm enough to need AC and I discovered it doesn’t work...bummer

I believe at least one of the SoCal owners on here also had that problem. Anyone else?
I know this
After 5 months and 7600 miles it was warm enough to need AC and I discovered it doesn’t work...bummer

I believe at least one of the SoCal owners on here also had that problem. Anyone else?
I know this is a rather late reply to a situation BUT it is a real problem and can easily be fixed. Check the special service bulletin attached and go to the dealer for a warranty repair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts

See the attached special service bulletin and do to the dealer for a warranty repair.

See the Special service bulletin attached and go to dealer for warranty repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
My appointment is in 2 days. It's been blowing cold again with no issues since the last hiccup 5 days ago. Such a weird problem.

I'll report if I learn anything new and useful.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts