Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My iPace is gone and I won't be purchasing from JLR again, and likely not posting here moving forward, so I thought I'd add my "review" of the iPace.

Just to get it out of the way.. I'd strongly advise against buying this car. The battery issue is much more significant than many people think and will likely pop up for more and more people as time passes.

With that aside here is my review of the iPace.

Pros
-Excellent aesthetic appeal, both on the exterior and interior.
-While acceleration from a standstill is only average compared to competitors (which is crazy, these turbo engines are getting insane), the instant torque at all times is amazing, addicting, and far superior to any non-EV in it's class.
-Rides very comfortably & quietly. Really just an exceptional highway car, which is kind of ironic given it's range issues.
-Adequate storage & usability.
-It's what I'd consider a graceful car. It's not really that agile or sporty, see below, but it's excellent to daily drive.

Cons
-Simply not as athletic or sporty as reviews and some people would have you believe. Still good for the class but far from class leading. You can really feel the weight & wheelbase, the steering is pretty direct and fairly heavy but the feel & consistency is very poor, and the stability management is inconsistent and often poor when really pushed. With it turned off you REALLY feel the weight. I'd put the Macan, Stelvio, X4 ahead of it and probably others.
-(cont'd) I think some people confuse the very planted, flat nature of the iPace, combined with the absurd torque, for sportiness. It IS very planted due to the immense weight being very low, and the instant torque at speed is incredible. But it's not an especially sporty car, many things in it's class feel better to drive and inspire more confidence when driven at speed/on a curvy road.
-Some very low quality buttons.
-The obvious infotainment issues.
-The dash reflection on the windshield is the worst in any car I've ever driven.
-The brakes are by far the worst in any car I've ever driven. Maybe there was something wrong with mine but they were terrible.
-Absolutely loathed the Performance/Comfort seats. Again, worst in any car I've driven. Might just be me here but they destroyed my back.

Overall I think the iPace is a heavily flawed car but one that makes a fantastic first impression and offers something very unique. It would fit best in a 2 or 3 car rotation as a daily commuter.

My sneaky alternative as a one-car-to-do-it-all; a CPO Panamera e-Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Thanks for your time and honesty!

I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with your Jaguar I-Pace. I have had 3 BMW manufacture buy backs and a Rolls-Royce buy back (RR is part of the BMW Group). But....I have had 4 more Rolls-Royce and at least 12-13 more BMWs.

You should not let one bad experience sour your feelings on JLR. There are MANY of us (me included) who are having NO problems with our I-Pace and some members are over 15,000 miles already.

Happy Motoring and Good Luck with your next purchase. Btw, my I-pace is the 7th JLR product for me and 6 have have been phenomenal. 6/7 is a great score for JLR in my opinion. And the 6 JLR products I owned were not just incredible, but completely trouble and issue free for the entire 3-4 year leases!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There was a way to quantify the sportiness. Run some autocross laps. I flogged the I-Pace against many of the popular sportscars, and it not only held it's own, it outran most of them. The instant acceleration and predictable behavior made it go quicker than it felt it was going. It was certainly quicker than the CTS-V's and ATS-V's I've ran, which are no slouches in the luxury market.

·
Registered
122 Posts
At 15Kmiles I would have to disagree with a blanket statement that the battery is flawed, mine is charged to 100% almost nightly and still maintains the same range. Yes I have had a couple of issues, but my dealer made the fixes in short time.

I also own a 2012 Jag XJL 5.0 that has 65Kmiles and outside of the water pump update, has been very trouble free. Both vehicles are a blast to drive, different, but I admire the luxury with performance they both bring. So I can't agree with the would never buy a Jag comment.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
GW: thank you for your posts, sorry to see you go, and sorry the I Pace experience wasn’t what you would have wanted. Hope you drop by occasionally and say hi.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for your great summery of the I Pace - After riding in my friends I Pace numerous times, I'm finally pulling the trigger on my own.

Having owned almost one each of every electric they have made to include a BMW I8 / BMW I3 (120) Cadillac ELR, Volt, etc. I feel the biggest problem is you're trying to compare the Ipace to a gas powered car and there are distinct differences in wheelbase, CG, torque, etc. that separate the vehicles. As an example, the problem you mentioned with the brakes are totally normal, what you're feeling is the fact the first 20% of the brake pedal never applies the service brake but only adds regen. There is a point immediately after, where the regen stops and hydraulic begins that confuses owners.

In any case, I wish you well in your next venture - keep us posted!

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my I-Pace last April, so it had all the software updates available at that time. I think some very early adopters have rightfully complained about the first vehicles manufactured, but I have had zero issues with the car. I've owned more than sixty cars in my life, everything from VW beetles to Mercedes AMGs to Porsche 911s to Corvettes. In my garage right now is a MB 550SL, a Porsche Macan Turbo, and my I-Pace HSE. Each is a great car in its own right. The Jag is my daily driver and it is an outstanding car and fun to drive with its outrageous torque. It handles somewhere between the SL and the Porsche. Feels heavier than the Porsche but lighter than the SL. The Jag is more of a GT car like the SL, while the Macan handling is quicker. All three are sporty cars, but you can't compare them straight across because each is very distinctive in its driving characteristics, but the build quality of each is similar. Also, as someone said above, an EV can't be compared directly to a gas car. They're just different, each exceptional in its own way. I'm sorry that you were turned off with your I-Pace. I'm very impressed with the Jag and at some point, even though I love the Macan, it may get traded for a Taycan. Electric is the future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As they say, different strokes for different folks. I bought my I-pace with the notion that it would be practical for my regular drive out to a ranch property and back, I figured it would be a reasonably good car and if I hated it, I'd just keep it for a while and sell it: easy come, easy go....

Seriously, I NEVER imagined that I'd LOVE this car as much as I do, this thing is just amazing and I can't say enough good about it. The acceleration is divine....sure, the Tesla S can sink you a bit deeper into the seat but seriously, just how fast do we really need to go?? I mean, this thing blows past most cars on the road. Handling is AMAZING, this ting carves the canyons like a sports car. In my garage is a Ferrari 360 spider and I'm honestly uncertain if it's any faster through the canyons: with what amounts to 1-pedal power management and AWD, this I-Pace handles in a realm FAR beyond what you'd expect. A month ago I was dashing through the canyon and the Lambo Mercialago was having trouble keeping up. No shifting transmission, no engine cranking to start, the smooth and silky acceleration. Come on, this car is a 9.8 on a 1-10 scale. But yeah, the regenerative braking and regular braking conflict with each other so sometimes it can be odd, we're still in the budding years of the technology but what I tell everyone is that if they drive this car for 2 weeks, they'll return to their gas burner and find it antiquated and annoying. Good thing I have a battery tender on the Ferrari, it sure isn't seeing much road time lately. But yeah, different strokes for different folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts