Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. My brand new iPace, a 2019, has a faulty battery. Yikes.

I was giving the benefit of the doubt that maybe my driving was so crazy that it was drastically reducing my range.. but today I've confirmed my battery is not fully functional.

From what I can tell I'm getting between 60 and 68 KWH out of the battery. I don't know if it is a cell issue or the entire battery, but I'm certainly not getting near the 86 or 87 KWH.

I did a trip today, 100% charged and preconditioned while plugged in. Eco mode, climate off most of the way. Average speed was 50 MPH, mostly around 65 and never above 72. Only cruise control or super light throttle. Very conservative driving. 50 degrees and very light rain, minor wind.

My battery went into low mode after 130 miles and showed 7% remaining. The trip calculator shows almost exactly 40 KWH per 100 miles and the Eco data was all 4.9s and 5s and 97/98%. Yet at 130 miles the battery was nearly empty. This matches my overall experience so far, drastic battery drain with even minor city usage.

So yeah, not sure why I traded in my Porsche for this.

I'll take it in on Monday and I'm sure it'll be an easy process getting everything squared away (note the sarcasm).

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Well. My brand new iPace, a 2019, has a faulty battery. Yikes.

I was giving the benefit of the doubt that maybe my driving was so crazy that it was drastically reducing my range.. but today I've confirmed my battery is not fully functional.

From what I can tell I'm getting between 60 and 68 KWH out of the battery. I don't know if it is a cell issue or the entire battery, but I'm certainly not getting near the 86 or 87 KWH.

I did a trip today, 100% charged and preconditioned while plugged in. Eco mode, climate off most of the way. Average speed was 50 MPH, mostly around 65 and never above 72. Only cruise control or super light throttle. Very conservative driving. 50 degrees and very light rain, minor wind.

My battery went into low mode after 130 miles and showed 7% remaining. The trip calculator shows almost exactly 40 KWH per 100 miles and the Eco data was all 4.9s and 5s and 97/98%. Yet at 130 miles the battery was nearly empty. This matches my overall experience so far, drastic battery drain with even minor city usage.

So yeah, not sure why I traded in my Porsche for this.

I'll take it in on Monday and I'm sure it'll be an easy process getting everything squared away (note the sarcasm).
It certainly does appear that you have a faulty main battery. You should be able to confirm by noting your SOC at the time you plug the car in and at the end of your charge cycle. Compare that to the kW you put in the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I was able to confirm it's at 64 KWH at 100% charge.

I actually saw this the first day but assumed it was a glitch with the app. The 64 KWH number perfectly matches my real distance experience so far as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Yep been there done that. My dealer just informed me that they were instructed to replace individual cells in the pack, rather than the whole pack. *Nonstarter*. I just sent a friendly letter to JLRNA. Best of luck with your case. Open a case with JLRNA if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep been there done that. My dealer just informed me that they were instructed to replace individual cells in the pack, rather than the whole pack. *Nonstarter*. I just sent a friendly letter to JLRNA. Best of luck with your case. Open a case with JLRNA if you haven't already done so.
Your post is what got me thinking this was the problem, so thank you.

Yeah, not fun. Lots of calls to make tomorrow. Also pretty funny that the GOM said 280 miles when I left.. and the car would have died before 150. Way to go JLR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
same story

I also have the same story, bought my new I pace on october 29th, at first thought it was the range meter not working, but when i could only do 110 miles between charges and only takes 51KWC to fully charge the battery i got concerned, thanks to those on this this Forum I was able to determine that my battery is the problem, i downloaded the wattcat app, it shows that i m currently 37.55 KWH and 82% charge??

Took the car in this morning to the dealer, I guess they will call me later today and tell me the bad news.

What really upsets me, is not the the battery is faulty, as i guess that can happen, but the the battery was not checked before they handed over the car.

This seems incredible that they would not check the battery before delivery???

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have the same story, bought my new I pace on october 29th, at first thought it was the range meter not working, but when i could only do 110 miles between charges and only takes 51KWC to fully charge the battery i got concerned, thanks to those on this this Forum I was able to determine that my battery is the problem, i downloaded the wattcat app, it shows that i m currently 37.55 KWH and 82% charge??

Took the car in this morning to the dealer, I guess they will call me later today and tell me the bad news.

What really upsets me, is not the the battery is faulty, as i guess that can happen, but the the battery was not checked before they handed over the car.

This seems incredible that they would not check the battery before delivery???
My dealership claims, I **** you not, that they don't have a way to check the KWH capacity of the battery. The KWH number that the free WattCat app shows is, according to the dealer, impossible for them to see.

...what..the..****..

If I could get a buyback on this car I'd do it right now, easiest decision of my life.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can't wait to ask the exact same dealer about these battery issues during my test drive on Saturday. Could get reeeeeeal awkward.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't wait to ask the exact same dealer about these battery issues during my test drive on Saturday. Could get reeeeeeal awkward.
This was from the Tampa dealership that actually sold me the car. Waiting for Bellevue to call me back to schedule an appointment, I'll be sure to let you know how they treat me & the iPace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts