Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
Four inboard motors is the way to go for the best handling. The CRZ EV did great that way at Pike's Peak. 11th overall in 2015. It'd be awesome on a backroad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
From an engineering perspective, two electric motors using a digital limited slip differential like the Corvettes, Cadillacs, Camaros, and others do, will do the best job for public roads, performance, and snow/dirt.
Why?
With the current "fake LSD" the electric motor uses the brakes to emulate an LSD, wasting HP available, yet having full load on the motor.
With 4 motors, the inside tire can't put down it's torque, so it cannot help accelerate. It doesn't 'waste' power, it just has to derate in corners.
With a digital LSD, the entire motor output is divided among both tires. Say the inside tire can only handle 20% of the power, that's all it gets to use, the other 80% of available HP goes outboard.

The nicest thing about 4 motor systems is the more compact layout possibilities and perhaps quicker RPM gain, but that's not really an issue.

Single motors will eventually dominate. AWD is not faster around corners, it's just a way to go get launch traction. Lateral grip determines cornering speed, and thrust/braking reduces lateral grip. Ever punch a FWD/AWD too early on a exit? It stops the car from rotating and you go wide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
If you have a motor running driveshafts to front and rear differentials, you lose efficiency. You lose less with a motor front and rear, but you still lose efficiency going through a differential.

Four motors give more responsiveness and less driveline loss. There may be packaging advantages of four small motors vs one huge or two big, especially in a small canyon carver.

Fancy electronically controlled LSDs, with all those clutches and such inside, can be finicky, delicate, and expensive. Fine for racing, but not so fine for a mass-produced product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
I will take a geared LSD such as Eaton Truetrac over the electronic braking any day. Front to rear electronic limits s/b fine. No brakes, just GO.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top