Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in South Florida and have owned my 2020 HSE since May. It has been extremely hot in Florida this year.
In any event my Jag is extremely loud and I cannot figure out if it is the tires or electric motor. Very disappointed and
considering selling the car, that is how much I dislike the noise. It is a loud hum that even with the radio at mid-range, is
quite annoying.

So I went to Jaguar, West Palm Beach, and they were good enough to let me drive another 2020. It was just as loud.I
I don't understand how anyone can claim this is a quiet electric vehicle. I did test a Tesla Model S several years ago
and don't remember sounding anything near as loud as my Jag. I took the car on several different road surfaces to see
if it made a difference, it did not.

On the positive side, driving the car is a thrill. It is quick and handles excellent. Only wish it were quieter.

Any ideas other then turning the radio to full volume before I sell the car?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am guessing you know about this and this would be way to simple but was the dynamic interior 'motor' sound turned on to loud?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been test driving I Paces for a month now. The larger wheels look nice, but harshness of the ride and the tire noise is much worse compared to the smaller wheels. I was really surprised at how much of a difference it made.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have been test driving I Paces for a month now. The larger wheels look nice, but harshness of the ride and the tire noise is much worse compared to the smaller wheels. I was really surprised at how much of a difference it made.
Be sure to check the tire pressure. It's been well documented in this forum over the past year, but the cars are shipped with pressure at 50 psi, and the 'normal load' setting is 48psi, while the 'light load' setting is 37psi. If its just you and a passenger most of the time, the light load setting (37psi in all 4 tires) is most appropriate. There is a HUGE difference in ride quality between the tires at 48psi and 37psi. As for that noise reported by #densjag, other than fan noise in the garage while charging in hot weather (cooling fans sound like a lawn mower), I've had no issues with noise.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
585 Posts
It is a loud hum that even with the radio at mid-range, is quite annoying.......

.....Any ideas other then turning the radio to full volume before I sell the car?
I am interested in what you are hearing. I routinely set the radio/music to a setting of "6", the car is easily quiet enoungh to hear both talk or music at this level. A level of "6" is nowhere near even mid-range. What radio setting arexyou having to use?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am interested in what you are hearing. I routinely set the radio/music to a setting of "6", the car is easily quiet enoungh to hear both talk or music at this level. A level of "6" is nowhere near even mid-range. What radio setting arexyou having to use?
Even setting my radio to midway, road noise is still quite present.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
About 16 days ago I responded to your exact same post and thought it would be helpful if you recorded the noise level which is present so that we all could hear what you are experiencing. It is too bad you are unable to do this. I believe it would be quite interesting and maybe just maybe some one else has had this issue resolved.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Everyone’s perception of ‘noisy’ differs, but the OP’s description goes well beyond what I think most of us experience.

I agree, let’s hear a recording of the noise and at the very least, let’s get some noise level readings from an easily downloaded app for virtually any cellphone.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
349 Posts
Everyone’s perception of ‘noisy’ differs, but the OP’s description goes well beyond what I think most of us experience.

I agree, let’s hear a recording of the noise and at the very least, let’s get some noise level readings from an easily downloaded app for virtually any cellphone.
My perception is certainly a very quiet ride. Just a bit of a purr. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weird. Another I-Pace, same noise? Did it have the same wheels and tires as yours?
I got a DB meter off the internet and drove the I-pace at highway speed. Got a reading of 93db.
Took my 2020 Acura SUV at same speed and same road, got a reading of 96db.

Don't know how accurate the meter is, but it did prove that my Jag is quieter then I thought. What I must be concentrating on is probably
the tire of road surface noise since there is no other sound in the car. I just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
93db???? That sounds extremely loud. Something is definitely wrong and I suspect you don't have the noise level meter set properly. I don't believe I've ever seen any car over the last decade with noise levels that high. You should be getting readings in the 60s.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
93db???? That sounds extremely loud. Something is definitely wrong and I suspect you don't have the noise level meter set properly. I don't believe I've ever seen any car over the last decade with noise levels that high. You should be getting readings in the 60s.
I tried a couple of nose level meters from the app store and none really worked well. Can you recommend an app.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts