Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I need to try it. So the key to keeping it on is tapping the brake AFTER you've put in Park. At that point you can exit the car and it will remain on. Correct?

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I just tried exiting the car after releasing the seat belt , kept my foot on the brake pedal and opened the door. sciencegeek was correct that when the door opened the car remained on, however as soon as I removed my foot from the brake pedal the car turned off. Interesting feature, not sure I know when that would be useful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yup, same thing on two different occasions today. I thought the car would stay on with this approach, but nope, turned off as soon as my foot came off the brake with the door open. I thought sciencegeek was implying that the car would stay on using his procedure. I'm scratching my head as to what I did to keep it on. I'm beginning to think that I had the car in Drive with the brake on. On a level surface you'd think the car was in Park.

So it seems the car is simply not designed to stay on when the driver exits. I find that an oversight for any passenger remaining in the car...which can happen often. IMO it should be tied to the 'start/stop' switch. You start the car with the switch and you turn it off with the switch. Odd behavior relative to any other car I've ever driven, but knowing that I'll just have to turn the car back on when exiting if need be.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Oh that's embarrassing, you're right. Foot off the brake, car turns off. Oops. I guess the manual is still correct.
So we're back to only one way to keep it on: Put in N, manually engage parking brake.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The manual is consistent with my experience:
Passenger = irrelevant. Only driver matters.

Car_Off = True
If
Seatbelt_released AND Brake_released AND Door_open

Car_Off = False
If at least one of the three conditions is not met (because of the AND operator)

Now obviously Door_open is always true when you exit, as is the Seatbelt_released, otherwise you would not be able to get out. In other words, in real world this reduces to
Car_On If Brake_Pressed
Makes perfect sense.

The problem is with EV, there is no sound. JR does not want the owner leaves the car thinking it is off but it is actually on and some stranger can drive it off. It is a safety measure. Other cars do not need to worry about this.

What JR can do better is to explain how to keep the car on when you exit if you want to. Does I pace has something like a 'dog' mode like tasla to keep the ac or heat on.?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh that's embarrassing, you're right. Foot off the brake, car turns off. Oops. I guess the manual is still correct.
So we're back to only one way to keep it on: Put in N, manually engage parking brake.
Correct. That's what I think I did unwittengly when it stayed on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Makes perfect sense.

The problem is with EV, there is no sound. JR does not want the owner leaves the car thinking it is off but it is actually on and some stranger can drive it off. It is a safety measure. Other cars do not need to worry about this.

What JR can do better is to explain how to keep the car on when you exit if you want to. Does I pace has something like a 'dog' mode like tasla to keep the ac or heat on.?
Except the Tesla stayed on with a passenger in the car. I never recall having to turn it back on for a passenger. No biggie, just something to be aware of. Neutral + brake also works as sciencegeek mentioned

·
Registered
10 Posts
Neutral + brake is what I do any time I need to do this, it’s second nature now. Worst part about it is if you are close enough to something that triggers the the parking sensors, will be constantly beeping at you. Nice thing about this is you don’t have to disengage the parking brake afterwards just put it in drive and accelerate, the car will automatically release the brake.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The driver's seatbelt is definitely the key in my experience, with or without passengers makes no difference.
usarcher hit the nail on the head. I tried 5 times without putting on the seat belt and the car stayed on after putting my foot on the brake and then opening the door and releasing the brake. I tried this alone and with both front and rear seat passengers with success. For another 5 attempts, if I put on the seat belt either at start or sometime during a trip the car would shut down. I guess we'll have to develop ESP to know when we'll have a reason to open the door so we can plan to not put on the seat belt.

I understand JLR's safety logic as I have occasionally either forgotten that the car is on or to put the transmission in park.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Haha, that's awesome. That's clearly a bug. Nobody would intentionally design this if they're concerned about liability (which prompts the whole "shut engine off" thing to begin with).

It encourages wearing no seat belt and leaving the car running ... surely not something that the Tata Motors lawyers would endorse.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts