Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to determine if it's me or the car. At times, like today, I'll pull up to the mailbox with my wife sitting in the car, put the car in Park and exit. The car turns off. I didn't touch the start button prompting my wife to ask why it does that at times and other times not. She's correct. Other times I can exit the car with the car in Park and the systems on, and the car stays on as one would expect. Just to confirm, I pulled up to the driveway, let my wife exit, and then without touching the start button, I got out. This time the car stayed on.

I'm trying to determine if there's anything differently I did during the times it stays on vs turning off. I can't think of anything off hand.

Has anyone observed this behavior?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
So I'm trying to determine if it's me or the car. At times, like today, I'll pull up to the mailbox with my wife sitting in the car, put the car in Park and exit. The car turns off. I didn't touch the start button prompting my wife to ask why it does that at times and other times not. She's correct. Other times I can exit the car with the car in Park and the systems on, and the car stays on as one would expect. Just to confirm, I pulled up to the driveway, let my wife exit, and then without touching the start button, I got out. This time the car stayed on.

I'm trying to determine if there's anything differently I did during the times it stays on vs turning off. I can't think of anything off hand.

Has anyone observed this behavior?
It is supposed to turn off when you open the driver's door went the car is in "Park". If you put it in "Neutral", it will not turn off. "Neutral" with the "Park brake" engaged will hold the car in place. Without the brake engaged the car rolls very easily - be warned. Only once have I had to jump back in and hit the brake pedal - scared the @@@@ out of me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yet I'm almost positive when I just parked on the driveway and got out of the car to see the behavior, it stayed on. o_O

Of course I could be losing it. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
244 Posts
I've run into that scenario, but so far the only common thing was the car only travelled very slowly prior to me getting out. For example, valet gets the car and brings it around, it will many times stay running when they get out to hand me the keys, or I pull the car out of the garage and realize I need to run back in to get something.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. When I pulled up to the mailbox, I had been traveling from Point A outside my condo development to Point B, the mailbox. However once I entered through the front gate of our condo, I did reduce my speed to under 20 and the car shut off as I exited. So maybe it was the speed prior to me entering the condo that's factored in? Now when I got back in from the mailbox and started the car, I was traveling slowly from the mailbox to my driveway. Upon exiting the car to test it with the car running, it did stay on. So those 2 sets of data does match with what you're saying.

So maybe that is the commonality. I'll have to pay close attention. Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
My experience is the correlation to the seat belt usage. I back out of the garage and do not fasten my seat belt and get out after engaging park, the car continues to stay on. I back out of the garage with seat belt on and get out after engaging park (unfastening seat belt to get out) , the car turns itself off. It is true you can engage neutral and parking brake, unfasten your seat belt and the car stays on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not sure I’ve seen a seatbelt correlation, but I like sciencegeek’s #2 for when I want it to stay on. One thing you guys didn’t mention was a passenger. I’ve had it where it both stayed on and turned off as I got out in P and my wife was in the passenger seat. You’d always want the car on when leaving a passenger in the car, especially in hot or cold weather. I wonder if #2 is actually what I did without realizing it when it stayed on

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think sciencegeek is saying you put the car in park, then press the brake and then open the door and exit. In that case his car stays on.

I‘ll check mine today, but in my case too there is some sequence of events that with the car in Park, the car will either stay on or turn off depending on what I do. So I’m inclined to think sciencegeek (or CyberSlug) is correct.

If I was doing the designing of this function, I’d factor in the presence of a passenger. In that case the default operation should be the car stays on as long as the passenger remains, unless I intentionally press the start/stop button. I think all cars I’ve owned, with the exception of the MS, required you to press the Start/Stop button to turn off the car.

So if it’s truly a ‘start/stop’ button, then after you put the car in P, only the pressing of that button should cause the car to turn off.

At any rate we now have 3 theories on this simple operation that almost everyone took for granted.

• Speed dependent
  • Seatbelt dependent
  • Park-Brake-Exit dependent
Have we proved here that even the simple isn’t so simple? :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so thus far one theory, that of Photon2.0eV is confirmed. I backed out on to my driveway with no seatbelt fastened, opened the door and the car stayed on.

I then pulled back in the garage, turned off the car. I repeated the above, but this time I had my seatbelt fastened. I unfastened my belt & opened the door and the car shut off.

Now this doesn't preclude the fact that sciencegeek's theory doesn't also apply, so I'll test that later. Now that everyone is aware of these theories it would be great to get feedback in day to day driving. I'm also not sure if the presence of a passenger doesn't impact this operation. After all, the HVAC most definitely changes its behavior depending upon the presence of a passenger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The driver's seatbelt is definitely the key in my experience, with or without passengers makes no difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the seatbelt seems to be the key for very low speed driving. For me though I'd like to determine how to keep the car on with a passenger in the car when putting the car in Park and exiting from normal driving. I'm looking at typical scenarios where you come off the highway (obviously with your seatbelt on), drive to your house or a store, and get out of the car with the intent of leaving the car on because a passenger remains. I'll try sciencegeek's approach later.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The car staying On is hit or miss for me. I always have my foot on the brake pedal before opening the door but I never considered the seatbelt. I'll test it today. Nice to see the exchange of ideas!

·
Registered
131 Posts
From the I-Pace user’s manual:

DRIVER EXIT
WARNING
To prevent the vehicle from being inadvertently left in a driveable condition, the driver exit system detects when the driver is leaving the vehicle. The system automatically switches off the vehicle when Park (P) is selected and all the following conditions exist:
  • The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
  • The driver's door is open.
  • The accelerator and brake pedals are released.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The car staying On is hit or miss for me. I always have my foot on the brake pedal before opening the door but I never considered the seatbelt. I'll test it today. Nice to see the exchange of ideas!
Hopefully it’s not an intermittent thing and actually just a procedural thing. My wife is laughing at me that we’re trying to figure out how to get out of the car without it turning off. She says she gets out of her Lexus 300h and it turns off only if she hits the ignition button. Nothing to figure out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the I-Pace user’s manual:

DRIVER EXIT
WARNING
To prevent the vehicle from being inadvertently left in a driveable condition, the driver exit system detects when the driver is leaving the vehicle. The system automatically switches off the vehicle when Park (P) is selected and all the following conditions exist:
  • The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
  • The driver's door is open.
  • The accelerator and brake pedals are released.
Hmm. That doesn’t explain why it stays on at times when all of those criteria are met. It also doesn’t mention the presence of a passenger and any impact it might have.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
The manual is consistent with my experience:
Passenger = irrelevant. Only driver matters.

Car_Off = True
If
Seatbelt_released AND Brake_released AND Door_open

Car_Off = False
If at least one of the three conditions is not met (because of the AND operator)

Now obviously Door_open is always true when you exit, as is the Seatbelt_released, otherwise you would not be able to get out. In other words, in real world this reduces to
Car_On If Brake_Pressed

1 - 20 of 34 Posts