Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My first post! I hope to post more including a profile of my new iPace (2019 SE / grey w/ black wheels), but I have a quick decision to make.

Is there any charging benefit of doing a hardwired setup? E.g., is it faster or more reliable? The installer seems to favor a hardwired set up, but maybe it's a bigger job or something.

I'm lucky enough to get Jag's September 2019 offer of a free charger and free QMerit installation for CA buyers. It will be a Chargepoint unit, so that takes care of that decision. :)

QMerit's installer called me. Seems very good.

Is there any charging benefits of getting a hardwired unit vs. a plug in unit? Plug in seems a nice idea because easier in the future to change to another charger, and also the option on a rare occasion to take the charger with me if the destination has an appropriate outlet. (I don't foresee a lot of long distance travel, and usually I'd just rely on chargers along the way, and possibly a Tesla Tap).

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think you touched on everything regarding hard wired vs. plug in.
I went with plug in to have a 220 outlet available in case I needed a different
charger in the future. ChargePoint uses 3 wires where as others
use 4. (3+gnd). So talk with the installer so you future proof the wire type.
The 3rd. wire can be run but not used for now.
:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
A hardwired run is perhaps slightly safer. No cord to rip out accidentally. Otherwise, your reasons for not doing it are just fine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would hardwire it and be done. There are more versatile portable EVSEs available if you have a regular spot to plug in. I think you are inventing a solution to a problem that does not exist.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I pigtailed both my Clipper Creek J1772 and my Tesla Wall chargers. When I traded in my LEAF for a Tesla, I simply unplugged one and plugged in the other. When I traded my Tesla for my I-PACE, I simply unplugged one and plugged in the other again. So in retrospect, going with a plug ended up being more convenient for me. And if my Clipper Creek ever fails on me, I can effortlessly swap over to one of my mobile charging units while I wait for a replacement to come in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My ChargePoint crapped out after a few months (still under warranty). Because mine was plug-in I was able to swap out the replacement myself. If hard wired I likely would have had to call electrician

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - thanks everyone.

I'm leaning to plug in because of the flexibility issue, but I'm going to
1) ask the installer, given my space limitations
2) find out whether the free charger offer from Jag was flexible between the two options
So it sounds like there is no difference in terms of charging speed, but the hardwire has fewer exposed cables (and perhaps more "elegant/clean" solution) vs. the plug in can be replaced more easily in the future.
I have to laugh at Time2Rolls comment "I think you are inventing a solution to a problem that does not exist."
- that sounds like me!!!
PS - For some reason I though I would get an email notification when there was a response to my post. I might not have set it up correctly.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think the only reason(s) to go the hardwire route are:
a. Outdoor installation - more weatherproof
b. Deter theft of plug-in unit
c. More aesthetically pleasing installation
d. No need to share the plug with anything else
e. No concern of failure/need to replace
e. No plan to keep charger when you move

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our first charger (over 10 years ago) was hard wired because we had no choice. As soon as the installer left I pulled the charger, installed a 14-50 outlet, and moved the charger to a more convenient location.

We now have 3 chargers and all are plug in. If someone wanted to steal one I guess they could, but this has never been a worry. I like the idea that I can easily change out a charger if I need to, nad that I don't have to leave them if I decide to move. I can think of no valid reason that a hard wired unit has advantages over a plug in one. However the advantages of the plug in unit are somewhat minimal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can think of no valid reason that a hard wired unit has advantages over a plug in one.
Not that this applies to the I-Pace, but some EVSEs can support higher amperages than are possible via plugs. The Tesla wall charger for example can be hardwired to a 100 amp breaker and thus be able to deliver 80 amps of charging power. AFAIK NEMA plugs top out at 60 amps, which means the most a "plug in" EVSE could deliver is 48 amps. Admittedly at this point this is mostly theoretical since I don't know of a car that can charge at over 48 amps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts