Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the battery % shown in the EV panel calculated via the GOM range or is it the actual measured SOC kWh divided by total battery capacity (minus the upper and lower buffers)?
Using an OBD and PowerCruiseControl, at the moment the car shows an SOC of 65.2 kWh and the EV panel shows 79%, projected 100% would then be 82,5 kWh. It seems as if the SOC % shown in the car is slightly overestimated?

·
Super Moderator
2,555 Posts
PCC used to show a percentage as well; in my case it used to max out at about 96%. Yes, the API SoC is percentage of usable battery, not actual.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PCC used to show a percentage as well; in my case it used to max out at about 96%. Yes, the API SoC is percentage of usable battery, not actual.
Is the usable battery kWh dynamic or fixed? Does the size of upper and lower buffer adapt to other variables like battery/ambient temperature?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The SOC value that we can read on the OBD2 port (Avg/Min/Max, 7E4/4910-7E4/4911-7E4/4914) is the real SOC for the theoretical 90kwh battery, not the one you can see in the car

·
Super Moderator
2,555 Posts
Lar, those edge percentages need to be taken with a grain of salt. The true bottom buffer may not be quite as large as I said, though it's probably close. The concept is correct though, there are two "buffers" on both ends.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
648 Posts
The SOC value that we can read on the OBD2 port (Avg/Min/Max, 7E4/4910-7E4/4911-7E4/4914) is the real SOC for the theoretical 90kwh battery, not the one you can see in the car
Not to question the assignment of the OBD2 readout, but why report a number (charge in the battery) as a % of an arbitrary number (appreciate that this is the theoretical size of the battery, but wouldn't a real measure of energy in the battery be more useful).

Further does this % calculation use the fixed size of the battery, or does the baseline adjust as the battery ages?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the battery % shown in the EV panel calculated via the GOM range or is it the actual measured SOC kWh divided by total battery capacity (minus the upper and lower buffers)?
Using an OBD and PowerCruiseControl, at the moment the car shows an SOC of 65.2 kWh and the EV panel shows 79%, projected 100% would then be 82,5 kWh. It seems as if the SOC % shown in the car is slightly overestimated?
I have been unable to find an OBD unit that is compatible with Power Cruise control. Which one do you use?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have one with a small on/off button on it. These days I leave it "on" all the time since I am doing a lot of experiment on the OBD2, and even after a couple of days without moving the car, I have no problem with the 12v battery.

This is what the Vgate adapter pretends :

"Small and compact design, Easy to install in your car OBD2 port. High reliable WiFi connection. Super low power consumption up to 10ma(standby current) . Auto sleep mode helps save car battery power."

·
Registered
34 Posts
As for compatibility, pretty much anything would work.

If the OBD remains plugged in, I can confirm :cry: that the stupid adapters do drain the battery after about 5-6 days, without using the car, not plugged in and in cold weather (well, cold-ish. Around freezing qualifies as cold here, not so much in Canada:cool:).
Some adapters switch themselves off automatically, some have a manual switch, and some have a reduced drain on standby (<30mA as opposed to 300 to 350mA for normal ones).
Pay a bit more for one of those, avoid troubles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for compatibility, pretty much anything would work.

If the OBD remains plugged in, I can confirm :cry: that the stupid adapters do drain the battery after about 5-6 days, without using the car, not plugged in and in cold weather (well, cold-ish. Around freezing qualifies as cold here, not so much in Canada:cool:).
Some adapters switch themselves off automatically, some have a manual switch, and some have a reduced drain on standby (<30mA as opposed to 300 to 350mA for normal ones).
Pay a bit more for one of those, avoid troubles.
The PCC package OBD seems to be a noname device. The car is parked quite a bit these days and on WattCat I did notice the aux battery level dropping slightly with the device attached to the port. Although the aux battery level shown in WattCat behaves strangely sometimes. When you first open it the aux battery shows more than 14v and then switches to around 12.5-12.7v

1 - 14 of 14 Posts