Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently encountered issues with Electrify America charging stations in the Chicago Area. Over the last couple of weeks two stations in Chicago have not been providing anywhere near a fast charging experience. This is a change from previous performance when I have used these chargers.

Normally when I use an Electrify America fast charger and the SoC is around 25% with a warmed battery (deliberate hard driving), I will see the power peak up to around 87-92kW before starting to drop after around 60%.

This past week, on two different units and four separate instances, I plug in and the charger will start delivering 2kW before rising to maybe 15kW max. This is of course barely Level 2 category charging. What is worse is that EA are charging me as though this was in the 1-125kW category. I drove to a nearby EVgo charger and plugged in, immediately received 48kW (50kW max) without delay. So my assumption is the car is ok.

I have reported the issues to Electrify America and they have refunded the charging sessions and provided me with free credits. They also said they were sending maintenance teams to the chargers that were reported. But they couldn't confirm if this was widespread or not.

It could be that a new software update to the Electrify America charging stations has crippled them. I noticed on PlugShare a Chevy Bolt user complaining about the same unit in the same location.

I am interested to hear if other owners of I-Pace are experiencing the same when charging on Electrify America. My car is currently pre-H264 and I know Jaguar have changed the handshake protocol with CCS systems to increase compatibility as part of the H264 package, so maybe post-H264 this will not be an issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like they've had quite a few problems as they've grown, specifically around the fact they had to have bespoke 350kW chargers designed and built for them and had to source them from four manufacturers to hit their aggressive timelines. I do recall seeing an i-pace in their labs in a previous article however, so hopefully they're working closely with JLR on any issues.

https://insideevs.com/news/389891/exclusive-interview-electrify-america-problems-solutions/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like they've had quite a few problems as they've grown, specifically around the fact they had to have bespoke 350kW chargers designed and built for them and had to source them from four manufacturers to hit their aggressive timelines. I do recall seeing an i-pace in their labs in a previous article however, so hopefully they're working closely with JLR on any issues.

https://insideevs.com/news/389891/exclusive-interview-electrify-america-problems-solutions/
Thanks for the link, great read. Hopefully these issues will be resolved quickly if EA are good to their word in that article.

Generally my experience has been good with their network, until the last month.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
In the West, I've seen as high as 111kW peak, which falls immediately to an average of about 80kW for a 50% charge (25%-75%).

·
Registered
141 Posts
From that article, I think its best we all use the 150kW chargers rather than the 350. Much less likely to have problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts