Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, a company that prefers to make ICE cars is forced to make a public charging network due to Dieselgate. The tiered method they use is the best way to make it more expensive for competing cars to charge. They also make it obvious that it is more expensive than gasoline per mile using a long range EV. It seems to me that their methods and intentions are clear. By the way, they include 1,000 kWh free through EA with the EV’s they sell.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd also like to point out that EA is kind of in a bind due to antiquated laws that only allow power companies to sell electricity by the actual amount of energy delivered (kWh).
I find it odd that Tesla seems to be able to be fair with customers and EA has its hands tied into being a scoundrel. I don't buy it. EA can do better.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
816 Posts
EA is charging by the kWh, not minutes, starting today in 23 states and DC. Check EA site for details of which states.

The initial rate per minute for Electrify America subscribers will be $0.31 per kWh and $0.43 per kWh for all others.

As for the states that require a per-minute rate, Electrify America prices will start at $0.12 a minute nationwide for subscribers and start at $0.16 a minute for all others. For both types of pricing, the company has removed additional per-session fees.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am very surprised by this announcement! The next road trip might be in the IPace instead of the 3.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good to see this HIGE change from them... now they just need to get to a price point below GAS... When KWH cost in the US (west coast at least) is around 10c per KWH then 43c seems like gouging... 31c per KWh seems better @ about 12c per mile equivalency which is around Gas pricing (depending on vehicle, location...)

What is still odd to me is that EA is owned by VW. VW is investing $25B on EVs. You would think VW would want to provide an incentive to move to their new EV... rather than make a profit from selling Kw to customers...

If i was EA I would have a further pricing tier for VW EVs below the 31c and thus cheaper than Gas... Maybe they will

Anyway - good to see this move and an end to the ridiculous practice from before...for 23 states at least - the rest of you need to fix your own State issues :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
VW includes 1,000 kWh of charging on EA with every new vehicle they sell. So, most of the paid charging applied to non VW vehicles. That is actually quite a bit of road trip charging. I haven’t used that much fast charging in the last 3.5 years since owning only EV’s. If I took a trip to Vegas I would only need about 100 kWh round trip since I would leave fully charged and the hotel has free chargers.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I will say EA could operate a whole lot better, pricing, reliability, etc., however their customer service has always been fair with me and have always tried to help anyway they can. Not an easy task with so many negative calls each day. Also here on the East coast they have started to upgrade their stations and have many under repair in VA, NC, and SC which started on Labor Day weekend (another poor decision to take so many chargers offline down the I-95 corridor). The station I went to in Pooler, GA yesterday was free to charge with the explanation that so many EA chargers in the southeast are down. I just thought some should know of the positive aspects too.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Still waiting for their first location to open on Long Island.
They're coming. Simon-Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove and Sam's Club in Medford

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah, the Smith Haven mall location has been ‘coming soon’ for over 6 months. I guess everyone has a different definition of ‘soon’. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Now I am waiting for Electrify Canada to adjust their pricing model too... Hopefully Electrify Canada is a very small player here. I have never saw or used one in 6 years, here in Quebec. Our domestic public charger network is fantastic, a lot of charger, everywhere, fully functional, most of the time. The only complain: They keep installing 50kw chargers, and currently "evaluating" 100kw. I don't know what that "evaluation" is. They should deploy chargers at 150kw or 200kw right away.

·
Registered
546 Posts
New pricing doesn't help us Floridans. I-Pace is 'rated' at 100kW (that's what car tells the charger) so we will continue to be charged at $0.32/min, even though at any SOC above 35-40% the I-Pace charging rate is below 90kW.

True for Mercedes above 75% SOC and Tesla X, 3 above 65% SOC. True for everyone (even Audi) above 85% SOC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
New pricing doesn't help us Floridans. I-Pace is 'rated' at 100kW (that's what car tells the charger) so we will continue to be charged at $0.32/min
It definitely does help, because the new price is simply much lower than it used to be.
With pass+ I used to pay $0.42 per minute now it will be $0.24. This is actually lower than Tesla SC ($0.26 per minute above 60 kW)

I scanned through my charging history at EA and with the new pricing my average cost would be around $0.19 per kWh. For someone that charges e-Tron it would be probably around $0.09 per kWh - this seems crazy low.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It seems like a good price. My one EA session I went from 26% to 78% in 36 minutes and 44 kWh. That would be $11.52 or $0.26 per kWh. Seems like a good deal to me. That charging session on the old rates was over $25.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
A nearby town installed a couple of 62.5kWh chargers (probably deliver 50kWh) using another charger network. They're charging $0.20/kWh with a minimum $3.00 charge (15 minutes).

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
1. I'm glad they changed to pricing to by-kWh in CA and wherever it's allowed to do so. Makes way more sense.
2. $0.43 per kWh is expensive, I agree with brad on that. We need more competition.
3. How often do we really use fast charging? As little as possible, only on the occasional long trip. So overall it's not a lot of money.
4. Ok I'm the first guy to admit that I'm stingy but on the other hand ... for us to complain about this is a bit hypocritical ... if this were a Bolt forum I'd be more sympathetic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok I'm the first guy to admit that I'm stingy but on the other hand ... for us to complain about this is a bit hypocritical ... if this were a Bolt forum I'd be more sympathetic.
:D Agree with that. In big picture it doesn't make much difference for me.
It did however feel kinda silly to take the Jag for a longer trip and spend twice as much money while I have ICE car waiting in a garage.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
447 Posts
:D Agree with that. In big picture it doesn't make much difference for me.
It did however feel kinda silly to take the Jag for a longer trip and spend twice as much money while I have ICE car waiting in a garage.
But which was more fun to drive?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts