Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member considering an i-Pace here.
My expertise is in the aerodynamics of racing cars.
One thing I have noticed on the internet is some discussion and disappointment on range of the i-Pace.
Whilst my expertise is not road cars the wheels and tyres have an important influence on drag. I notice that removing the aero wheel fairings on a Model 3 Tesla loses 5% of the range.
Whilst they look nice big wide wheels and tyres are very bad for energy consumption.
Just in case nobody has mentioned it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome and you've come to the right place for info on the I-Pace. Many of us got started with ours in late 2018. You'll read the good, bad, and ugly on this forum. (mostly good)
Yes the 22" wheels are less aerodynamically and energy efficient, but beautiful and for many of us, they MAKE the car.
What other cars are you considering, only EVs? Post and you'll get plenty of insights from owners on here, many of whom owned or considered similar choices.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
Here's a point of comparison using data from my own car history and from a recent posted article about the suspension. The 22" wheel/tire combination for each wheel weights 72lbs on an I-Pace. I looked up the tire specs on TireRack and the tire weighs 31 pounds, leaving 41 pounds for the weight of the wheel.

In comparison, my Porsche 911S ran forged HRE P101 wheels. The Pilot Sport front tires for that weighed 24 pounds and the forged wheels weighed in at 22 pounds for a total of 46 pounds. or 35 pounds less than the 22" I-Pace ones. The stock Porsche wheels only weighed 4 more pounds. The Porsche rear wheels&tires weighted another 7 or so pounds more than the fronts, so let's say the extra wheel/tire weight on the I-Pace is 125 pounds heavier total.

Spinning up those 288 pounds of wheels and tires (no counting the brake rotors and hub) during each acceleration must take a toll on range, plus the additional drag of the wider width has a significant effect too. That weight would seems to explain why those of us with 22" wheels tend to see lower range... but I assume the other wheels are still fairly heavy too.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Not at all disappointed by the range. They claim about 240. It gets about 240. 18s and boring tires will get more range, sure, but I never plan on going 200+ miles in a day anyway. I have another car for that... or better yet take an airplane.

LOL! Not like we're all going on car trips right now.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Here's a point of comparison using data from my own car history and from a recent posted article about the suspension. The 22" wheel/tire combination for each wheel weights 72lbs on an I-Pace. I looked up the tire specs on TireRack and the tire weighs 31 pounds, leaving 41 pounds for the weight of the wheel.

In comparison, my Porsche 911S ran forged HRE P101 wheels. The Pilot Sport front tires for that weighed 24 pounds and the forged wheels weighed in at 22 pounds for a total of 46 pounds. or 35 pounds less than the 22" I-Pace ones. The stock Porsche wheels only weighed 4 more pounds. The Porsche rear wheels&tires weighted another 7 or so pounds more than the fronts, so let's say the extra wheel/tire weight on the I-Pace is 125 pounds heavier total.

Spinning up those 288 pounds of wheels and tires (no counting the brake rotors and hub) during each acceleration must take a toll on range, plus the additional drag of the wider width has a significant effect too. That weight would seems to explain why those of us with 22" wheels tend to see lower range... but I assume the other wheels are still fairly heavy too.
Yes. I totally agree. The 18" wheels are 23 lbs each; that's a lot less than 41 lbs. Plus the bulk of the mass is further out on 22" wheels. Admittedly the tires will be heavier on an 18", but the heaviest part of the tire, the tread, is in the same outermost radius in both 18" and 22" wheels. IIRC, there is an empirical comparison somewhere that documented a 10% hit on range with 22" vs 18" wheels, and 20"s only a little less range than with 18". Which makes total sense mathematically.

·
Registered
893 Posts
What is the lowest tire pressure for the 20s?
I would like the ride a little smoother on bumpy roads.
I'm at 36psi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and you've come to the right place for info on the I-Pace. Many of us got started with ours in late 2018. You'll read the good, bad, and ugly on this forum. (mostly good)
Yes the 22" wheels are less aerodynamically and energy efficient, but beautiful and for many of us, they MAKE the car.
What other cars are you considering, only EVs? Post and you'll get plenty of insights from owners on here, many of whom owned or considered similar choices.
Actually I don't change cars often, as long as I like them.
It doesn't have to be an EV but it might as well be as long as I can drive to my daughter's house on Anglesey by my favourite route, it is about 230 miles.
I chose a Prius PHEV over a Porsche Panamera plug in hybrid 2 years ago. The Jaguar had just come out then and was an unknown quantity for me.
The Porsche was faster on straight line acceleration but so huge I wouldn't be able to open the doors in a typical English parking space, 600kg heavier, 4x the price and, the thing which actually irritated me so much I didn't buy it, the option list is complicated and expensive. I looked at the standard features of the Toyota that I liked best and added just them (not all the superior features, just the ones I really wanted) and it added £10,800 to the price, ⅓ the cost of the whole Prius.
I do have a sports car if I want to go quickly so the one attraction of the Porsche didn't swing it.
Budget isn't really a problem but I only do around 6000 miles per year now I have retired so having an expensive, deteriorating, depreciating car isn't that attractive, so it has to be really exciting to fire me up. I looked at the Taycan but that still has the unforgiveable (for me) Porsche options list so I didn't finish configuring it.
I test drove the i-Pace recently and was impressed but had been concerned by reliability, charging and energy consumption problems I see on the internet, though I do realise satisfied customers are less noisy than dissatisfied ones!
I love the styling of this car, as one would expect from Ian Callum. I actually hate SUVs with a passion, I have spent my whole career designong light aerodynamic cars so they are anathema to me but the i-Pace is more aerodynamic than they usually are and weight is inevitable with EVs.
So far the i-Pace is the only EV I find attractive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I appreciate that heavy wheels makes a difference to stop-start efficiency but the driving conditions here in England are totally different to the US.
There are very few traffic lights around here, and anyway for short journeys around home I would mainly be enjoying the performance and ignoring energy consumption.:)
I am trying to mentally trace the number of traffic lights on my 230 mile journey to my daughter's house and I can bring to mind 4.
In a longer journey at steady(ish) speed aero is more important. I saw a video which I haven't found since, should have bookmarked it, comparing a Tesla MX to the Jag unfavourably on an autobahn and the thing that sprung out to the aero engineer in me was the teensy wheels on the Tesla compared to the Jag and I wondered if the one they compared had the same wheels as were used for the Jag consumption specification, and presumed not.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Is there a fast charger on the way to your daughter's house? 230 miles is a real stretch (actually, impossible) at motorway/freeway/autobahn speeds. It's doable if you're driving 40mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a fast charger on the way to your daughter's house? 230 miles is a real stretch (actually, impossible) at motorway/freeway/autobahn speeds. It's doable if you're driving 40mph.
My favoured route takes about half the journey on motorway, I am sure there will be a charger on that part, and the remaining part across country where the consumption will be better anyway. What you write is why I ended up with a plug-in hybrid 2 years ago. I also understand 85% range at 5 years old is the limit of the guarantee here which means if 230 miles is marginal with a new car then it won't suit somebody like me who usually keeps cars I like a long time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
While the 22" wheels look great, I'd not make it 2 blocks from my house without destroying them on our pothole infested roads... 20" is the reasonable compromise (I tried to get 18" winter wheels/tires, but the wheels did not fit, so had to get 20" winters while the car was still on the jacks).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts