Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I charged my car last night and when I left for work this AM my range showed 282. This is so strange. For the past two months my range has always shown 201 miles after a full charge (e.g. summer in Dallas with 90+ days, AC, Seat Cooler, etc.). Today...range shows 282. How is that possible?

When I first got the car I could hypermile and get roughly 250 miles on a full charge so this is a range I've never seen before

Attachments

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sounds like some bit of bad data that is used as part of range calculation just aged out by time or charge count or miles in your last recharge. There are many factors manufacturers use to try to guess range. Some are “longer term” and some are shorter term.

They don’t call it Guess-O-Meter for nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Driving Range

Had same thing happen. Used to show 210 on average but then 282 last week and 277 today. However when comparing actual mileage used versus the range estimate it is off by as much as 50%....so it will eventually come back down to around 210 Dealer claims it was a major reset that was part of my brake recall and that it will take 1,000 miles for it to relearn my diving habits, terrain etc. (?)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you have Journeys turned on, you can look at them online or using your Cell Remote App. This has your miles and consumption numbers. The Online version goes WAY back so you can see seasonal changes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have not been in for any software updates. For the 6-ish weeks I've had the car, 100% charge is estimated 201 miles (obviously off - I got better mileage than that). Today, all of a sudden, I drive to work and when I arrive with 89% battery it's telling me I have 250 miles of range. This is in 90+ degree weather, AC blasting, not driving conservatively, etc.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The good news is the bar graph is pretty accurate. More accurate than the gas gauge on my red truck, which has 8 gallons in the tank when it's "empty". My blue truck had 0 gallons on E. It ran out of fuel.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Your actual range if driven on congested freeways might be 282 miles with 18 or 20".

See pic below after a known loop:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,291 Posts
Yeah I trust the kWh/100 mi figures more than the GOM. But then I have to do math!
In my case, the GoM overestimates when at 100% SoC but then adjusts quickly to something pretty reasonable.

The kWh/100 mi figures are systematically wrong under most circumstances and report too optimistically. Has been covered extensively in other threads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We've been seeing 284 miles every day in our 2020. I thought it would drop but it does not and seems to be accurate from what I can tell. We've had electric cars to 8 years, our Aerovironment serial#0002 charger, so we know them quite well. The range is excellent even when driving up the freeway at 80+ mph.

·
Super Moderator
2,291 Posts
We've been seeing 284 miles every day in our 2020. I thought it would drop but it does not and seems to be accurate from what I can tell. We've had electric cars to 8 years, our Aerovironment serial#0002 charger, so we know them quite well. The range is excellent even when driving up the freeway at 80+ mph.
I'm skeptical. Show us the data please. (Number of miles driven and difference in SoC from start to end of trip; not the car's reported kWh/100miles). :smile2:

·
Registered
608 Posts
After the H228 update, seems like the estimated range is more accurate. The estimate range of the past 2 days has been 224 miles. In the morning after my 25/26 miles commute, the estimated after the drive is 201 miles. After my evening commute of the same 25/26 miles, the estimated range after the drive is 181 miles. Temperature in LA has been mid 70s to to low 80s in the past two days. My morning commute energy consumption for the past two days has been 37.80 kWh/100 mi and afternoon commute energy consumption is 31.5 kWh/100 mi.

·
Registered
392 Posts
After the H228 update, seems like the estimated range is more accurate. The estimate range of the past 2 days has been 224 miles. In the morning after my 25/26 miles commute, the estimated after the drive is 201 miles. After my evening commute of the same 25/26 miles, the estimated range after the drive is 181 miles. Temperature in LA has been mid 70s to to low 80s in the past two days. My morning commute energy consumption for the past two days has been 37.80 kWh/100 mi and afternoon commute energy consumption is 31.5 kWh/100 mi.
Great information. Your average efficiency is 34.65 kWh/100 miles or 97 MPGe. That's 3x more efficient than my 4cyl Ford Fusion on the highway. I've seen better accuracy from the GoM too - sometimes to within a few miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm skeptical. Show us the data please. (Number of miles driven and difference in SoC from start to end of trip; not the car's reported kWh/100miles). :smile2:
I have no idea how to do what you want. i can attach a picture of the range when charged if you like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine showed a range jump to 284 today as well. I'm guessing they are letting us use much more of that massive battery than they did before. I have no proof of this but with a new battery design, it is often recommended to keep a large reserve to preserve the battery until you know how it ages. I'm guessing they now know enough to crank that reserve down. I'm tickled with the range, if it holds up, I don't drive this thing far enough to get close to the range limit though so looking forward to hearing from some of you that it is real.

·
Super Moderator
2,291 Posts
I have no idea how to do what you want. i can attach a picture of the range when charged if you like.
Go to the My EV info panel and record the percentage charge before and after a drive, and the miles driven. Then calculate the kWh/100 miles assuming an 84kWh usable battery capacity.

For example:

Start drive SoC = 90%
End drive SoC = 60%
Miles driven = 70

Difference is 30%, or 0.3*84kWh = 25.2kWh
Consumption = 25.2kWh / 0.7 100-miles = 36 kWh/100 miles

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's my wife's car so I don't get to drive it often, but using your calculation for a short trip i'm seeing 25kWh for a 100 miles. I'll retest again once I get longer trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was a short 15 mile trip mostly in suburban areas and 30 mph limits. it did start with a 700' elevation drop which could skew the data.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts