Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever driven their i-pace to Tahoe from the SF Bay Area? If yes, where did you stop to charge?

Have a trip coming up in June so snow not a factor.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
233 Posts
I haven’t done the trip, but I did look into it before buying. With what I’ve seen since getting H264, you MIGHT be able to make it w/o stopping, depending on speed, but you’ll probably want to stop at one of the 50kw chargers in Placerville to make sure you can make it.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
7000ft climb will cost 13kWh of your SoC, or 13/84=15%. I'd stop at a charger, but it'll only take 30 min to top off enough and then you'll have an overnight level2? Even if you don't have an overnight charger, you'll get a lot of free miles on the way down until you're back at the charger.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't tried going to Lake Tahoe yet. There is a free route planner online that may help. Check out 'A Better Route Planner'. I'm planning a trip to San Diego soon and haven't decided yet on I-5 or 101 for the trip. I'll use 'A Better Route Planner' for initial stop choices and then the 'PlugShare' app the day before to see if there are reported issues at my planned stops. Just noticed that 'PlugShare' also has a route planner now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll be interested in further reports of the Tahoe and San Diego experiences. Right after I bought my I Pace I did a Bay Area to Santa Barbara trip as a sort of test drive for road trips. I have had a Model S for several years and found road trips to be a breeze, so I really wanted to see how traveling with the I Pace compared. Let's just say, it is a bit of a challenge in the I Pace - at least in comparison to traveling in a Tesla. The I Pace is a much more comfortable, enjoyable car to drive and just to be in for longer periods of time. However, you just really have to hand it to Elon Musk for his forward thinking in the charging area. The Super Charger network and the ease of the whole charging experience are just vastly superior. How I wish Jaguar would catch up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! We may end up stopping twice to be safe/break up the drive into smaller chunks for the kiddos. Will report back on the results.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'll be interested in further reports of the Tahoe and San Diego experiences. Right after I bought my I Pace I did a Bay Area to Santa Barbara trip as a sort of test drive for road trips. I have had a Model S for several years and found road trips to be a breeze, so I really wanted to see how traveling with the I Pace compared. Let's just say, it is a bit of a challenge in the I Pace - at least in comparison to traveling in a Tesla. The I Pace is a much more comfortable, enjoyable car to drive and just to be in for longer periods of time. However, you just really have to hand it to Elon Musk for his forward thinking in the charging area. The Super Charger network and the ease of the whole charging experience are just vastly superior. How I wish Jaguar would catch up.
Actually in 2020 there are more CCS sites than Supercharger sites in the USA. CCS installs are happening at several times the rate as SC sites.
But because all CCS cars must be supported, they often have CHAdeMO available at these sites, so Teslas with a CHAdeMO adapter are the most flexible cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
what does Tahoe mean? Tons of 150/350kW chargers in Sacramento. EA has them in Rocklin and Truckee as well if you're talking North Lake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what does Tahoe mean? Tons of 150/350kW chargers in Sacramento. EA has them in Rocklin and Truckee as well if you're talking North Lake.
Will be driving from San Jose area to north Tahoe. Likely will stop in Roseville unless the wife wants to go to the outlets in Livermore than it will be a two stop journey (since the Livermore outlet has EVGo chargers)

Is it true that we get charged the highest rate for EA but can’t really take advantage of the high rate?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
233 Posts
Will be driving from San Jose area to north Tahoe. Likely will stop in Roseville unless the wife wants to go to the outlets in Livermore than it will be a two stop journey (since the Livermore outlet has EVGo chargers)

Is it true that we get charged the highest rate for EA but can’t really take advantage of the high rate?
Livermore does have both EA and EvGo (EA is in back, EvGo near the entrance). With EA, you will get charged at the 125kW rate, which is the second highest rate, because the car reports it can charge at ~100kW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts