Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed a round trip to San Diego this weekend. First trip out of the Bay Area in an EV and first time using a public EV charging station. Went well. Charging was more expensive and time consuming so need to work on balancing this out the next time.

Drive from SF Bay Area to San Diego and back.
Some abbreviations and notes:
PS - PlugShare App. Used for finding/reporting EV charge stations.
ABRP - A Better Route Planner. A website used for planning a trip. Takes EV car model into consideration for EV stops.
CP - ChargePoint. EV chargers. I used Level 2 and CCS 50 kW chargers.
EG - EvGo. EV chargers. Not used.
EA - Electrify America. I used 350 kW, 150 kW, and 50 kW chargers during this trip.

First I used PlugShare to try to plan my trip. I picked two stops that I thought would work. I used a weather report to make sure the Grapevine was not having incliment weather.
I heard about 'A Better Route Planner' (ABRP) and decided to give it a try on planning my stops. Totally different charge stations and three stops instead of two.
I dug a little further into the planned stops and saw that I had chosen 50 kW DC charges. ABRP choose 150 and 350 kW chargers. I decide to use the recommended ABRP charging stops.
Started with 100% charge at 3:50 AM on a Saturday.

First stop was a 350 kW EA charger in Firebaugh at 5:55 AM. 138 miles. 22% to 85% $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $33.83.
Charger is next to a Shell station and being downwind all I could smell was gas fumes. Otherwise quiet stop.
Drove away at 6:51 AM.

Second stop was a 350 kW EA charger in Bakersfield at 8:31 AM. 123 miles. 14% to 73%. $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $46.44.
Unexpected high price and low charge. I will be avoiding this place on my return.
Drove away at 9:42 AM.

Third stop was a 150 kW EA charger in Glendale at 11:27 AM. 105 miles. 24% to 92%. $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $38.35.
Plugged in the car and went for lunch. Needed to pack half my lunch up as the car was charging faster than I was eating.
Drove away at 12:23 AM.

Destination at TownPlace Suites at Tech Way, San Diego. 3:24 PM. 122 miles. 27%.
For the next 2 days I used CP Level 2 charger at TownPlace Suites. $0.25 per kWh. $22.06.

Return trip started with an initial charge from 50 kW EA charger in Carlsbad. 52% to 90% $1.00 per session/ $0.25 per minute + tax. $11.90.
Left Carlsbad at 4:05 AM

First stop was the 150 kW EA charger in Glendale at 5:49 AM. 103 miles. 46% to 82%. $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $22.77.
Same charger as used previously.
Drove away at 6:23 AM

Second stop was a 50 kW CP charger in Butonwillow at 8:01 AM. 117 miles. 24% to 92% $0.10 per minute/ $0.25 per kWh. $20.71
Stopped for breakfast and charged for a longer period to take advantage of lower rate.
Drove away at 9:14 AM

Third stop was at the 350 kW EA charger in Firebaugh at 10:44 AM. 110 miles. 22% to 85% $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $33.05.
Had a burger and fries at Wayback Burger restaurant.
Drove away at 11:34 AM

Arrived home at 1:30 PM. 137 miles. Charge 13%

Three stops to San Diego cost $118.62 3 h 4 min
Three stops to home cost $76.53 Time 2 h 37 min

Notes:
Need to pay attention to the rate of charge. I didn't do this at first. If you have time, use 50 kW chargers to save money.
On my drive to San Diego, I would look at the distance to the next stop and then add 50 miles of range. Not needed.
Speed kills range. I had to use cruise control to keep from going over 85 mph. I settled at 73 mph for most of I-5.
Adaptive cruise control takes practice.
Waze saves time not distance. I used Waze to calculate distance to next stop. I found that I needed to check the routes in the app. I don't want to add 40 miles of travel to save 5 minutes of driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Great writeup, thank you!

It's weird that you got a lower charging speed at the Bakersfield EA than at the Firebaugh ... any thoughts on why?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Very interesting and useful data for all of us.
A couple of thoughts based on your numbers - distance was 488 miles and driving time was 8.5hr on the south bound trip with 3hrs of charging. Your numbers for the return show faster driving and a much shorter total time.
While you chose faster charging options on the return, some of that reduction in total time was due to higher speeds. Last Fall I completed a similar distance trip to Montreal with about the same numbers. Being conservative on the way up I set the cruise at 65, coming back I was driving faster w/o the cruise, probably closer to 75. The faster speeds and the loss of range did not slow me down overall and the return trip was almost an hour quicker.
I agree speed kills the range, but not enough to make the extra charging required a disadvantage. I used the same chargers going up and back, you had the foresight to find faster chargers on the return leg. We should bear that in mind on such trips.
You mentioned the price, I was lucky to find a free charger on route. While not common I have seen a few of these on the Plugshare maps.
I also concur that "A Better Route Planner" does seem to do a better job by factoring in the charge needed to get to the next charger - eliminating the slow charging above 80%.
Hopefully your experience and numbers will encourage a few more of the forum members to try multicharge trips.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great writeup, thank you!

It's weird that you got a lower charging speed at the Bakersfield EA than at the Firebaugh ... any thoughts on why?
I'd guess ambient temperature?

I think it was the charger. Ambient temperature was about the same all morning, around 60°F. Max charge was reported as 99.11kW.
On my return trip I paid attention to the "Range added /hour" in the Jaguar Remote app. 150 kWh chargers would peak at around 195 miles/ hour. 50 kWh chargers would stay around 120 miles/hour. At around 80% charge, charging would start to drop. If I remember correctly, it was around 100 miles/hour at 85% charge. So my goal was to get 2 miles/minute charging. If I drove 84 mph vs 74 mph, it felt like I lost about 10 miles+ of additional range in an hour. So this is about 10-12 minutes extra at the charger for a 2 hour segment.
I-5 has a speed limit of 70 mph. I had a hard time staying at 73 mph.

In 2023, California DC chargers will need to charge by the kW delivered and not the time spent charging. For level 2, this goes into effect in 2021.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New I-Pace owner. Appreciate the stats. My car is in the shop for the latest software update as range at 100% charge is 201 miles and the car has 700 miles on it.
Also, because I'm getting nowhere near the stated "80% charge in 40 minutes". I've used some 150 kwh chargers and it seems like the top speed is limited at 80kwh. Looks like you are seeing the same speeds.
Is anyone getting 80% in 40 minutes? Is that only possible from 0% charge? Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
New I-Pace owner. Appreciate the stats. My car is in the shop for the latest software update as range at 100% charge is 201 miles and the car has 700 miles on it.
Also, because I'm getting nowhere near the stated "80% charge in 40 minutes". I've used some 150 kwh chargers and it seems like the top speed is limited at 80kwh. Looks like you are seeing the same speeds.
Is anyone getting 80% in 40 minutes? Is that only possible from 0% charge? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new I-Pace. You raised two interesting questions.

The range prediction will probably increase dramatically after the software update but neither number means anything. The prediction is similar to the distance to empty field in a conventional car's trip computer but less accurate. At 100% charge my car says that I have 256 miles of range but I'm getting 180-190 miles due to cold weather and heavy use of climate control and heated seats. In my day-to-day driving it's not an issue but on a long trip I wouldn't plan charging sessions based upon the range prediction.

Your charging speed depends upon the battery temperature and state of charge (SoC). The I-Pace can charge at 100 kWh for a few minutes at a low SoC but speed will drop quickly and then plummet after 80%. This is designed to minimize the heat put into the battery. 40 minutes to get to 80% is reasonable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new I-Pace. You raised two interesting questions.

The range prediction will probably increase dramatically after the software update but neither number means anything. The prediction is similar to the distance to empty field in a conventional car's trip computer but less accurate. At 100% charge my car says that I have 256 miles of range but I'm getting 180-190 miles due to cold weather and heavy use of climate control and heated seats. In my day-to-day driving it's not an issue but on a long trip I wouldn't plan charging sessions based upon the range prediction.

Your charging speed depends upon the battery temperature and state of charge (SoC). The I-Pace can charge at 100 kWh for a few minutes at a low SoC but speed will drop quickly and then plummet after 80%. This is designed to minimize the heat put into the battery. 40 minutes to get to 80% is reasonable.

I was watching the charging status on my phone yesterday and the percentage/hr was going up; went up to as much as 16%//hr and then quickly dropped off to 7 or 8%/hr. I believe battery was showing 50% full when I started noticing the status.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was watching the charging status on my phone yesterday and the percentage/hr was going up; went up to as much as 16%//hr and then quickly dropped off to 7 or 8%/hr. I believe battery was showing 50% full when I started noticing the status.
Was this with a level 2 charger?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Was this with a level 2 charger?
Yes, I was charging at home using my Level 2 charger.
WattCat logging via the API initially shows for 20 minutes a charge rate that is impossible for the charger and beyond what the car will accept (7.5 kWh or 8%) with AC charging and then the numbers settle down to approximately what is really going into the battery. WattCat shows me 11.5 kWh for 20 minutes and settles down. Someone on the forum explained why but I forget the reason.

I use the graph in the charger's app to determine what is actually going into the battery.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The % or range added with the app is widely inaccurate, don’t know the reason. But I pretty much ignore it. It does the same at my home charger, showing rates at the start that are beyond the physics of the charging rate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Completed a round trip to San Diego this weekend. First trip out of the Bay Area in an EV and first time using a public EV charging station. Went well. Charging was more expensive and time consuming so need to work on balancing this out the next time.

ABRP - A Better Route Planner. A website used for planning a trip. Takes EV car model into consideration for EV stops.
EA - Electrify America. I used 350 kW, 150 kW, and 50 kW chargers during this trip.

First I used PlugShare to try to plan my trip. I picked two stops that I thought would work. I used a weather report to make sure the Grapevine was not having incliment weather.
I heard about 'A Better Route Planner' (ABRP) and decided to give it a try on planning my stops. Totally different charge stations and three stops instead of two.
I dug a little further into the planned stops and saw that I had chosen 50 kW DC charges. ABRP choose 150 and 350 kW chargers. I decide to use the recommended ABRP charging stops.

First stop was a 350 kW EA charger in Firebaugh at 5:55 AM. 138 miles. 22% to 85% $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $33.83.
Charger is next to a Shell station and being downwind all I could smell was gas fumes. Otherwise quiet stop.

Second stop was a 350 kW EA charger in Bakersfield at 8:31 AM. 123 miles. 14% to 73%. $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $46.44.
Unexpected high price and low charge. I will be avoiding this place on my return.

Third stop was a 150 kW EA charger in Glendale at 11:27 AM. 105 miles. 24% to 92%. $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $38.35.
Plugged in the car and went for lunch. Needed to pack half my lunch up as the car was charging faster than I was eating.

Destination at TownPlace Suites at Tech Way, San Diego. 3:24 PM. 122 miles. 27%.
For the next 2 days I used CP Level 2 charger at TownPlace Suites. $0.25 per kWh. $22.06.

Return trip started with an initial charge from 50 kW EA charger in Carlsbad. 52% to 90% $1.00 per session/ $0.25 per minute + tax. $11.90.

First stop was the 150 kW EA charger in Glendale at 5:49 AM. 103 miles. 46% to 82%. $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $22.77.

Second stop was a 50 kW CP charger in Butonwillow at 8:01 AM. 117 miles. 24% to 92% $0.10 per minute/ $0.25 per kWh. $20.71
Stopped for breakfast and charged for a longer period to take advantage of lower rate.

Third stop was at the 350 kW EA charger in Firebaugh at 10:44 AM. 110 miles. 22% to 85% $1.00 per session/ $0.69 per minute + tax. $33.05.

Notes:
Need to pay attention to the rate of charge. I didn't do this at first. If you have time, use 50 kW chargers to save money.
On my drive to San Diego, I would look at the distance to the next stop and then add 50 miles of range. Not needed.
Speed kills range. I had to use cruise control to keep from going over 85 mph. I settled at 73 mph for most of I-5.
Waze saves time not distance. I used Waze to calculate distance to next stop. I found that I needed to check the routes in the app. I don't want to add 40 miles of travel to save 5 minutes of driving.
Oh wow. That’s expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Notes:
I calculated what gas would have costed on this same trip and I came up with about $250 at 16 mpg. Anybody else want to check my math.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
234 Posts
The sad part is my old car, a 2012 Audi A6 Prestige, would average ~27-30 MPG on the freeway for that trip, so would have cost ~$170 or so. It also had enough range to get from the Oakland to Indio without any stops (don’t do that, ended up in the hospital).

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Just to point out the obvious, the vast majority of charging by most of us is done at home; second is work; a distant third is fast charging on the road. I don't have a problem with paying as much as I would for gas when I'm on the road. The extra time hurts a bit, however.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My company provides us with free charging, so I usually charge at work. I did a quick estimate of time spent charging since purchasing the car and came up with:
560 hours charging at work for the last 7 months. A typical workday is 3.5 hours for the round trip from home to work. Monday is longer. I estimated 4 hours a day. 5 days a week.
39 hours 52 mins charging at home according to my ChargePoint history.
21 hours 12 mins charging in San Diego Area. Mostly from two nights using the hotel level 2 charger.
5 hours 41 mins charging on I-5 for round trip.

My hours at work would have been a lot less if we didn't have some very old EVLink chargers that slow down considerably when more than one car is being charged.

Comparing mpg is not straight forward.
In the four legs of my journey from SF Area to SD Area, I averaged: 65 mph, 73 mph, 62 mph, 41 mph.
That last leg was 122 miles and had places where traffic crawling along at 15 mph or slower. Here EV range goes up and gas mileage plummets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts