• Nay

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean on your calculator. Home solar photovoltaic system. No water heating either.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've made 112.05 kWh so far today, but it should reach over 150kWh by the end of the day.

Since installation:
CO2 Emission Saved
83,817.44 lb

Reactions: NerdUno

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'll get to 30 today ... funny how that works, your array generates ~5x more than mine ;)
If the city and fire dept were more accommodating, I could double it, but oddly enough, it would take 50% longer to pay off.
Never sell power back to the utility unless they pay at at least .12/kWh for it. SCE pays 0.025/kWh.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
When I asked for a solar estimate for my house it came back that in 25 years I would have only spent an additional $2000 for installing and using solar vs. leaving as is with no solar

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made 41.8 today so far. Aiming for 50 plus I'd expect for the day. AC all day while feeding the battery. Good times. I think we need another 15kw of panels in the field to feed the ipace.

It's hard to say how much we've saved by putting in solar, but I think the payoff will be easily within 8 years. Figuring .22 per kwh average cost and about 20mwh per year.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are paying 22 cents per kWh using your solar? I pay less than 10 cents per kWh from my utility...

No. If I didn't have solar, I think my average kwh cost would be 22 cents. With solar, I've spent about 1k per year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Made 65 KWh today off my 10KW array. I am paid $0.382 cents per KWh so the payoff is 8 -10 years over the 20 year contract. Not bad, but the program is over in Ontario now.

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
This is an excellent exercise in what's called "Ascertainment bias".

Which is the idea that the question you're asking influences the sample of people who respond; i.e., if you have solar you will certainly respond to the poll, but if you don't you may not bother .. skewing the result in favor of solar adoption.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ended up at 154.55 kWh fifteen minutes ago when it shut down.

My power bills used to be $1500/m Oct-May, and $2500/m June-Sept.
Now we are $150/m and $400/m respectively.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Which is the idea that the question you're asking influences the sample of people who respond; i.e., if you have solar you will certainly respond to the poll, but if you don't you may not bother .. skewing the result in favor of solar adoption.
No doubt any poll on a car board is going to be biased, but it's got everybody pulling their parts out to compare, so all is fun.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made 65 KWh today off my 10KW array. I am paid $0.382 cents per KWh so the payoff is 8 -10 years over the 20 year contract. Not bad, but the program is over in Ontario now.
Don't forget that you get a different rate plan too. Plus are you paid .382 even in morning hours? Then there are caps and all that jazz. We also have battery time shifting, which seems to reduce our costs. I think there's a tariff both ways on power. Shrug. Too much work to figure out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a roof solar that puts out 6kw under ideal conditions. The level 2 for the Jag takes 7.2 kw but I only charge it once a week. I'm changing billing to "time of day" with best rates for weekends and after 6 pm. Haven't gotten a bill yet.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have 3kW rated system. Produces maybe 60% of my usage. Thanks to TOU my net grid energy usage was 4,585 kWh for the year and the cost was $38.13 or less than a penny per net kWh actually consumed from the grid. (SCE) System paid for itself in five years and just finished my sixth year. Installed by Solar City. Not the lowest cost but was a wonderful contractor.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in a canyon and solar still makes a ton of sense for me. Beyond the backup ability with batteries, there's the whole no more propane filling. We're down to one propane on-demand water heater that's rarely used. I haven't filled it since solar went in and we replaced the propane house heater. Though our electricity use skyrocketed, our total power bill for the year is less than one propane fill up that happened twice a year. Calculators can only cover part of the story.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I don't have it and answered with a 'no.' But it has been said that 'for example....' is not data, but an anecdote, and also, the plural of anecdote is not data. All true, I'm sure.

People with a BEV may tend to have solar at higher rates than the general population, also. (I say may since I've seen no data, but it makes some sense.)

So much skewing potential, then! Running about 2-1 for having it now, even if the raw data could use some caveating.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do have solar - a 10 KW array that sends power back to the grid through net metering. It's like running the meter backwards when you're generating. My break even was calculated at about ten years but in fact the system will have paid for itself in about seven. I heat my house mainly with electricity - or "hydro" as we call it in Ontario.
Sure is nice to drive past gas stations - though my F350 never met one it didn't like.....

·
Registered
521 Posts

Okay, but I don't have it and I voted. Call me contrarian if you like.

I don't know if I ever will have it, but on this house it would be too much trouble for too little gain. I have sun tunnels and a sky light in the way on the back of the house. My house faces east and the roof has too many facets. I live in northern Illinois.

Financially speaking, my rate is $0.0808. I probably won't live in this house long enough for it to be a net gain despite all my yard tools and one of my cars being electric. It's unlikely to add to the value of this house at resale.

Without a battery system I will never charge my car with power from solar, so up goes the price of a system if that were my goal. We don't get paid here for sending power into the grid. Even in abstract (as many refer to their car charging) it'll never happen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts