Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anytime my car been parked and locked more than 12 hours it will not react to open when pressing any of the doorhandle buttons.
Using the keyfob to open no problem even 10 feet away.
No problem using the door button after 1 hour parking either

Started to happen last 2 weeks
But as keyfob work both when far away and when unlocking using door handle buttons within an hour it must be something else than keyfob battery. (replaced 3 months ago anyway)
Could the car go into deep sleep to fast? But 12 hours is a bit too fast to happen

No difference if charging overnight or not. Have to use the keyfob to open the car every morning.

Anyone else seen something like this?
I will try to see if I can find out the time delay with more accuracy
Maybe the keyfob proximity sensors inside the care decided to go bad.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
The cell in the fob may be getting weak. We've seen it numerous times when pressing the button to unlock/lock works, but there is insufficient fob battery charge to provide the passive signaling required between fob and car when the door handle bottoms are pressed.

Is the problem with both fobs?

How could it behave different based on time? I'm guessing that the short duration has the fob in a pocket receiving body heat. That would be just enough to allow the battery to provide sufficient energy. The longer duration would be when the fob isn't warmed and is in a "cold" state. A battery at the edge of performance could behave like this.

Try holding the fob close to a rear door when pushing the door handle button (front or rear). Does it work then?

It's a cheap enough potential fix to replace the CR2032 cell in the fob(s).

Otherwise, it looks like you'll a visit to the vet for any control module or wiring repair. Also see 'Smart key not found' Message Displayed On...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replaced batteries. Works now.
Must been very bad ones I got before as 3 months is a bit short time.
And both keys at same time.

Still odd that there is no warning in display that you keyfob start to get bad batteries. Was same when first replacing batteries after 2 years. No warning in car. Manual say it should be...

Anyway. Thanks for the advices

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
Replaced batteries. Works now.
Must been very bad ones I got before as 3 months is a bit short time.
And both keys at same time.

Still odd that there is no warning in display that you keyfob start to get bad batteries. Was same when first replacing batteries after 2 years. No warning in car. Manual say it should be...

Anyway. Thanks for the advices
I've found the fob batteries last about 12months "normally". My I-Pace is a 2019 and I changed the battery in both fobs summer of 2020 and again this June. I'm the only driver of kitty, so the other fob never gets used, but when I grabbed it back in August to open kitty it was dead. Changed battery. No problem since. Either the battery had been on the shelf a while or the quality control is poor.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Okay, so has anyone ever seen "Smart Key battery low" message in the instrument panel? This is documented in iGUIDE, and also where would it illuminate in the instrument panel? Now I gotta go find a life.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
Okay, so has anyone ever seen "Smart Key battery low" message in the instrument panel? This is documented in iGUIDE, and also where would it illuminate in the instrument panel? Now I gotta go find a life.
From my experience the fobs either work or they don't. Never seen a warning. Just fob not working.
[MNF getting boring - nothing better to do]

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Jaguar keyfobs are kind of "always on", the constantly transmit a signal. This is why they expire at the same time for both keyfobs, even if only one is actually used.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Advice: use branded battery for the keyfobs, not cheap chinese ones.
Other advice: maybe worth buying a small keyfob faraday cage to put your key in while in the house. You never know what could happen at night....

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
Jaguar recommends that one ensures the little tension tab in the battery socket is making a very firm connection to the battery. Apparently that can be source of weak power to the fob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts