Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Do I take the plunge?

644 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Ayepace
Hello, I am very close to committing to a new 2023 I-Pace.

- Is level 3 charging really annoyingly slow, or adequate (for the occasional long trips away from home)

- Is the Piri Pro navigation genuinely good, or do folk just use Apple Maps?!

- Has reliability been okay for others on this forum

- What are folk’s preferred level 2 unit? I was going to get a Chargepoint…

- “Wi-Fi enabled”…how is this really worth it when most of us are constantly connected by our iPhones?

The alternatives I have been considering are the model X, e-Tron and iX. However, I think I am set on the I-Pace, though my kids point out it doesn’t have a whoopee cushion! Thanks for any advice.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
  • Is level 3 charging really annoyingly slow, or adequate (for the occasional long trips away from home)
  • Has reliability been okay for others on this forum
  • What are folk’s preferred level 2 unit? I was going to get a Chargepoint…
The I-Pace rocks. Wrt the three questions above that I have input in:
L3 is not too bad, I do road trips regularly. Rules for road trips: 1. Plan. 2. Manage expectations. On a 500 mile day you might spend 30-45 minutes more charging than with an e-Tron.
Overall reliability has been ok. Most issues surface in the first few weeks of ownership. By now it's an established car, should not have teething issues any more.
I have a Chargepoint. It's great.
Oh and btw I think Teslas suck haha, I mean, to each their own.
My opinion:
-Level 3 is slow and unreliable. As long as you plan ahead and occasional equals once or two day trips per year it is acceptable.
-I have an older one with the older UI, so can’t help you.
-Lots of us have reliable I-paces, including me.
-Anything with the proper independent laboratory approval.

Tesla make the best object to relocate you. The BMW seems like a better EV than the I-pace but you will have to pay more for it. I think the Jag is a better “drivers car” than the BMW based on what others that own both have posted. I don’t have much of an opinion about the Audi.

I have owned a Model X and 3. The plan is to keep our 2019 I-pace till 2029. We rarely keep cars for more than 4 years. (Except track cars)
In principle L3 would be acceptable if it performed as advertised. However, 10-80% in 40-45 minutes (on min 150 kW charger) is the exception especially at low (or very high) ambient temperatures. If you live somewhere with proper winters then long journeys with multiple charging stops will be much longer than expected. Manufactures like Tesla recognised the technical solution early on, precondition the battery on the way to the charger. The iPace can only precondition the cabin or the battery but not both simultaneously and no battery preconditioning on the move.

Pivi Pro was quite unstable at the start but if all updates are in place then it's actually quite good.

Reliability at the start (first 3 months of lease, early 2021) was unacceptable, delivery of a 90k car which was not up to date is really not on. After JLR sorted out the module updates the reliability improved significantly.

L2, I used a Juice Booster, not sure if its available in the US. It's a mobile 1 or 3-phase wallbox rated to 22 kW which has different adapters which you can connected to various power outlets.

WiFi enabled is handy for updates (SOTA) via home Wifi networks and for other devices in the car, tablets, phones etc, the car mobile reception is generally better than my phone.
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 1

- Is level 3 charging really annoyingly slow, or adequate (for the occasional long trips away from home)

- “Wi-Fi enabled”…how is this really worth it when most of us are constantly connected by our iPhones?

The alternatives I have been considering are the model X, e-Tron and iX. However, I think I am set on the I-Pace, though my kids point out it doesn’t have a whoopee cushion! Thanks for any advice.
I'll echo some of the earlier comments about charging - yes, accept that you won't get 100kw either regularly or continously throughout a session. It is a big deal? I find a 45min break every 200+miles refreshing and now normally arrive at my destinations relaxed and comfortable rather than tired and sore. BTW I've done frequent 600-700mile oneways in a day over the past 4yrs.
The Chargepoint system that JLR suggests works fine - you can find cheaper with less bells and whistles.
Reliability - yeah the car has had a few issues, but on the newer models these seem to have been ironed out. Everyone has an opinion regarding Pivi and/or Carplay/Android auto - that is one you'll have to work out, but at least you'll have the options. I find the older Touch Pro perfectly adequate for my needs.

What was your response to a test drive? The major selling feature here is the drive compared to the others you mentioned (IMHO)

There are both faster -- and slower -- charging cars out there. We do maybe two roadtrips a year and it is frequently ready to be unplugged before we are ready to resume our journey. Have used three or four L3 charger brands and they all worked fine with the car.

Pivi Pro seems to work really well now. I was set on using Android Auto / Carplay but the navigation system is much better than I expected; I don't even bother with phone gps now.

Our I-Pace was in the shop for a few days after we first got it but after repair it has been fine. It is our only vehicle so it needs to work (suburban family of four) and so far since then it has delivered.
Here are my thoughts:

• I don’t find the L3 charging bad at all. I live in the Northeast and regularly take long road trips in all temps. My feeling is that charging isn’t the same as pulling up to a gas pump; you have to be prepared for a stop. But given that, the difference between 20 mins and 40 doesn’t seem all that meaningful. I find my car charges faster than I expect, even on slower L3 chargers. I will say that access to Tesla Superchargers might be a meaningful convenience. I have learned a few rules about L3 charging. Aim for facilities with a whole bunch of chargers, not two or three. I find Electrify America to be more reliable than some of the others.
• My I-Pace is an older car with the pre-Pivi Pro system. Is it slow? Yes. But really, just not that big a deal. I don’t understand the obsession w infotainment systems. I mostly use Car Play, and when I don’t, I actually think the onboard nav is pretty good.
• My car has been bomber. One replaced headlight. But I travel for work and will park it for a week, come back to find it covered in snow, fire it up, and the battery is at exactly the same SOC that it was when I left it.
• I have a ChargePoint home charger and it works well. Can’t speak to other designs.
• I recently rented a Model 3. I liked it a lot. Handles well and is peppy. I started to think maybe one of these would be good, given the longer range. Then I got home and drove my I-Pace and realized, it’s a better driving car. I enjoy driving and really like the Jaguar - it’s a cool form factor and handles that much better. If someday makes a longer range aftermarket battery, it’s a car I’d be happy keeping for a long time.
See less See more

You could give me a Tesla M3 LR with unlimited Super-charging and I'd still take an ICE on a long road trip. Those of you going more than 400 miles in an EV are hero's and you shame me .. but. seriously eff that. I don't care about L3 charging because I've used it exactly one time and I've been driving EVs since 2016. Also, the relatively slow L3 charging on the I Pace helps preserve the traction battery. Car problems are concentrated on forums like this. Guess what you don't see here: Complaints about battery degradation ... the occasional bad cell(s), but not baseline degradation. Go to a Tesla forum and see how often that topic comes up. To be fair, I think the problem is overstated, but JLR made a design choice w/r/t the charging speeds and it was to err on the side of preserving the traction battery. I'm OK with that.

I don't have PP, but I only use CarPlay.

The car has never come close to leaving may stranded. I had an EAS issue that left me in normal drive height (fixed under warranty) and I have an airbag light that comes and goes; also under warranty and I had one of the early bad batch EV heaters (warranty). Two of these (airbag light and heater) are related to my car being a First Edition and shouldn't be an issue of you as the design has changed (different wiring harness under the seat) or the vendor has updated the part (heater). The EAS thing is just a risk you take with the complicated suspensions. The EAS in my wife's Velar has been flawless. It seems like 80% of the issues on this forum are related to the 12v battery system which has seen better software and improved design.

Chargepoint is fine from what I read. I have had very good luck with Clipper Creek.

We used it for a couple of years only because we travel through some cell signal deadish zones frequently and the car's antenna could keep a good signal when our phones could not. We dropped it a while back for a couple of reasons (a) the car was stuck on 4G and our phones were significantly faster and were keeping a signal in the deadish zones as the network improved; and (b) my wife likes wireless CarPlay and you can't use that and the car's WiFi at the same time.
See less See more
My most recent long round trip charged at EA chargers 5 times. No issues starting charges. Fast charging added 5 hr 5 min 9 secs to the journey compared to an estimate 1 time stop for fuel in one of my other cars taking no more than 15 minutes although other stops would have been required that probably would have added another 1 hr. It could have been worse. Stop 5 was just a stop to add a bit of insurance charge to get home. The site was running at reduced power to all 4 of 6 working chargers while an upgrade (software? No one around doing hardware.) was going on.

Stop 1
Charging time 1:25:38
Max Charging speed 100 kW
Total Energy 77.4420 kWh
Billed 77 kWh
Cost 27.72
Tax 1.94
Paid 29.66
End SOC 99%

Stop 2
Charging time 1:10:20
Max Charging Speed 94kW
Total Energy 54.8870 kWh
Billed 54 kWh
Cost 19.43
Tax 0.00
Paid 19.43
End SOC 99%

Stop 3
Charging time 1:17:53
Max Charging speed 89 kW
Total Energy 61.3900 kWh
Energy Billed 61 kWh
Cost 21.96
Tax 0.00
Paid 21.96
End SOC 99%

Stop 4
Charging time 0:50:18
Max Charging speed 100 kW
Total Energy 50.5270 kWh
Billed 50 kWh
Cost 18.00
Tax 1.26
Paid 19.26
End SOC 90%

Stop 5
Charging time 0:21:00
Max Charging speed 35 kW
Total Energy 12. 3130 kWh
Billed 12 kWh
Cost 4.32
Tax 0.00
Paid 4.32
End SOC 54%

Got home at 16% SOC.

I have WiFi enabled on my cat and let the phone connect to it. This uses the external antenna for a signal and the phone will do VoIP instead of relying on a signal getting into the car. The phone is on a wireless charging pad down in the center console area so it never runs low of charge on these multi-hundred mile trips. I have no problem using the built-in navigation and find it is useful since it also gets live road condition updates. These have occasionally caused immediate re-routes due to accidents and road closures saving a lot of time.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts