Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Purposeful confusion exists for sure. Look at the tire and mattress markets, where every store has different model names and marginally different products. Then there's property rentals, where information is scarce.

That's not the same as the dealer model. An I-Pace FE is an I-Pace FE. I can find the invoice. I know about holdback. There's a lot of information. The market is not opaque.

The basic premise sounds reasonable, except it really doesn't work this way. What I constantly see is purposeful misrepresentation and confusion to try to maximize profit (which is perfectly fine) but is NOT the normal model of how we sell things. The Tesla model, for good or for bad, means you know what you are paying and what you are getting. You can take it or leave it. The dealer car buying model just means you have to play games, and honestly most of the front line sales people will lose sales because they can't "read" the serious customer, or will end up penalizing the ones who are confrontation avoidant. I mean where else does your ability to stand up to pressure tactics determines your purchase price for new items?

The rent/cost model can easily be remedied by each dealer having a clearly marked "dealer fee." That way customers can choose to go further to a more remote location, and/or choose to pay a premium. Right now you have a basic free for all for most manufacturers.

And btw Tesla model is broken in my opinion NOT because of the sales method, rather because without a network of dealers they do not have enough of a service presence. Trust me I know.

And lastly part of the reason Tesla used prices were artificially high is because Tesla was buying used units off the market and putting it back on their own controlled site, which is a practice most people were not aware of. Used prices started dropping when they stopped that a year or so ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Ugh. Two weeks after I buy my car, it starts . . . dealers are finally discounting off MSRP.

. . . killing me.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/761008183/overview/
Take heart, unless you called and confirmed, it is possible this is listed at a discount in error. Last fall, as the first cars started to hit the showrooms I found a dealer that had them listed for several thousand off MSRP on CARS.com and even the dealer website. However,I called the dealer to confirm and discovered they were listed with a discount in error.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I see several SE and HSE models on the Jaguar Stevens Creek website with a "Velocity Discount" of ~$3,000. I may try to get them to honor that on my HSE which is scheduled for delivery on 3/15. They probably won't honor that, but who knows. When I ordered in November they had only 3 in stock. Now they have over 20.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I see several SE and HSE models on the Jaguar Stevens Creek website with a "Velocity Discount" of ~$3,000. I may try to get them to honor that on my HSE which is scheduled for delivery on 3/15. They probably won't honor that, but who knows. When I ordered in November they had only 3 in stock. Now they have over 20.

Missed this post . . . Yep. This is what's now happening with inventory stockpiling . . .

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Take heart, unless you called and confirmed, it is possible this is listed at a discount in error.

Not where posting contains additional note explaining the basis for the discount.
Not saying there aren’t discounts, I’ve long said it is simply a matter of time. However the ad I posted 3.5 months ago also had notes explaining the ‘discount’.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
for a $3k discount & 0% financing, I bet I could find an in stock HSE that would be 'close enough' to anything special ordered...

·
Registered
418 Posts
UGH the 0% would have been nice...

SO, did we all buy I3s? 6 months we'll be able to buy a fully loaded one for 50k?

·
Registered
563 Posts
That $3,000 is no doubt a starting discount. If they can advertise $3,000 they can give $4,000 and more. That is close to 5% off and zero interest. The dealer sales model at its best.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts