Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, the tax incentives in Colorado are pretty sweet. My accountant drives a MX and basically implored me to get a BEV when I met with him earlier this year.
I thought that the dealer in Colorado takes the $5000 state credit at the time of sale?

The state of Colorado also offers a tax credit for the purchase of alternative fuel vehicles, including plug-in electric vehicles. As of January 1, 2017 the value of the credit is a flat rate of $5,000 that can be applied at the time of purchase.

Did this happen in your case?:smile2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
It took several days to get these, which I didn’t ask for. I asked for 24 & 36 months. I guess they aren’t really interested in leasing
Good Morning from NJ I asked my dealer for some numbers as well and asked for 36 months /10k per year and have heard nothing. I don't think they have a clue...I'm getting very frustrated with them not having their act together. 36 months the car should have a 50 p[us residual. and a MF of about.002. We'll see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought that the dealer in Colorado takes the $5000 state credit at the time of sale?

The state of Colorado also offers a tax credit for the purchase of alternative fuel vehicles, including plug-in electric vehicles. As of January 1, 2017 the value of the credit is a flat rate of $5,000 that can be applied at the time of purchase.

No. They were pretty clueless all around regarding the tax incentives. I'm dropping off my bill of sale at my accountant's office and it'll be reflected on my tax return in April. I pay estimated taxes quarterly anyway, so I suppose I could just deduct it from my next payment in January.

I'm sure Tesla is way more dialed-in on these incentives and capture the money for you at the time of sale. JLR, well, not so much. At least in my case at the Colo Spgs location.

Someone on one of the other threads (I think the MY switch thread) made a comment about how the I Pace just misses the weight cut-off for the accelerated depreciation business tax benefit. This is quite true. If they had just put in a 100 kwh battery pack, problem most likely solved. Oh well.

·
Registered
560 Posts

CA clean energy rebate of $2500 is sent out as a physical check. I would imagine, Colorado is the same?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Correct in Colorado it's a tax credit however if you were to lease and/or finance you may assign the credit at time of purchase to the financing entity that is financing the purchase or lease. I would bet Jaguar dealers aren't all up on that yet like BMW/Chevy/Tesla/Nissan would be since they are just getting into the game.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Correct in Colorado it's a tax credit however if you were to lease and/or finance you may assign the credit at time of purchase to the financing entity that is financing the purchase or lease. I would bet Jaguar dealers aren't all up on that yet like BMW/Chevy/Tesla/Nissan would be since they are just getting into the game.
As above, my dealer wasn't. I asked about it and ... deer in headlights. Doesn't matter. I'll get the $5K state credit as well as the $7500 federal credit at some point in the not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Late to the discount discussion but interesting story. I attempted use of the USAA car buying service - to get another point off my loan rate (I had placed an order months before). The buying service auto-generated inquiries to several local dealers, who began calling me (ugh!). One of those dealers also had an auto-generated email that "GUARANTEED $4845 off any in-stock Jaguar I-Pace HSE". Wow, that sure got my attention!

Well as luck would have it my build arrived (different dealer) with the wrong headliner, so I abandoned it. Very next day I visited that dealer offering the $4845 "coupon". The GM *laughed out loud* at the email, even though it bore the name of the dealership and was "legit" (as in I didn't fabricate or alter it). His comment was that discount was about a grand more than he makes on the car! Even showed me the invoice to prove it. The I-Pace may be the future of Jaguar but most dealers are less than thrilled with its economics, let alone the tooling (chargers, service equipment, etc.) and training needed to bring sales and service staff up to speed!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Same. I investigated through the Costco Auto Service, which shows MSRP about $4500 above invoice at each trim level. Even with inventory currently piling up, dealers won't discount or do you any other favors to move one (so service revenue on the other end).

And of course, the Costco service has no arrangements for dealing JLR on the car . . .

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Same. I investigated through the Costco Auto Service, which shows MSRP about $4500 above invoice at each trim level. Even with inventory currently piling up, dealers won't discount or do you any other favors to move one (so service revenue on the other end).

And of course, the Costco service has no arrangements for dealing JLR on the car . . .
Someone did state they were able to get a discount using the Costco service - I think he said $2k off. I believe I saw it on one of the FB forums. When I bought mine I had asked about using any of the car buying services (USAA/Costco/Sam's, etc) and was told no discounts no matter what.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I believe a fixed pricing strategy actually improves customer satisfaction. No matter how good you are at negotiating there is always someone that got a better deal or they lie. Either way it is easy to feel ripped off. When we all pay the same we all can feel we were treated fairly. Hard to accomplish with the dealer sales model. I believe this is one of the many reasons customer satisfaction is very high with Tesla.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I believe a fixed pricing strategy actually improves customer satisfaction. No matter how good you are at negotiating there is always someone that got a better deal or they lie. Either way it is easy to feel ripped off. When we all pay the same we all can feel we were treated fairly. Hard to accomplish with the dealer sales model. I believe this is one of the many reasons customer satisfaction is very high with Tesla.
Totally. Just look at what a sales success Saturn has been.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Actually, Saturn wasn't a failure. That's a false equivalency as Pontiac was killed at the exact same time as Saturn - because of a deal with the government for surviving a banking financial crash that wasn't auto-industry related/caused. Frankly, I thought some of the best cars GM made were Saturns at the time (especially the Sky!)

·
Registered
956 Posts
A fixed price model didn't make Saturn a success or a failure. Fixed price just means you're paying a premium.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A fixed price model didn't make Saturn a success or a failure. Fixed price just means you're paying a premium.
Not necessarily. If the pricing includes margin for incentives and rice reductions it’s just an opportunity to make more, but truthfully it’s just a broken method of pricing that has been around forever causing unpredictable and unfair cost based on negotiating skills of buyer and desperation and quotas of the dealers

It’s quite mad really when you think about it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Not necessarily. If the pricing includes margin for incentives and rice reductions it’s just an opportunity to make more, but truthfully it’s just a broken method of pricing that has been around forever causing unpredictable and unfair cost based on negotiating skills of buyer and desperation and quotas of the dealers

It’s quite mad really when you think about it.
One dealer has a more efficient operation, lower rent, and sells more cars, getting a volume discount from the manufacturer. Another dealer has crap management, high rent, sells fewer cars, and other issues that raise their prices. Why shouldn't the first dealer get to offer their vehicles at a lower price? The entire dealership franchise system is a mess, but it has certain advantages. It was yet another reason I didn't go for a Tesla. Now Tesla is dropping prices, BTW, but if they had separate dealers, there already would have been price drops.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
One dealer has a more efficient operation, lower rent, and sells more cars, getting a volume discount from the manufacturer. Another dealer has crap management, high rent, sells fewer cars, and other issues that raise their prices. Why shouldn't the first dealer get to offer their vehicles at a lower price? The entire dealership franchise system is a mess, but it has certain advantages. It was yet another reason I didn't go for a Tesla. Now Tesla is dropping prices, BTW, but if they had separate dealers, there already would have been price drops.
The basic premise sounds reasonable, except it really doesn't work this way. What I constantly see is purposeful misrepresentation and confusion to try to maximize profit (which is perfectly fine) but is NOT the normal model of how we sell things. The Tesla model, for good or for bad, means you know what you are paying and what you are getting. You can take it or leave it. The dealer car buying model just means you have to play games, and honestly most of the front line sales people will lose sales because they can't "read" the serious customer, or will end up penalizing the ones who are confrontation avoidant. I mean where else does your ability to stand up to pressure tactics determines your purchase price for new items?

The rent/cost model can easily be remedied by each dealer having a clearly marked "dealer fee." That way customers can choose to go further to a more remote location, and/or choose to pay a premium. Right now you have a basic free for all for most manufacturers.

And btw Tesla model is broken in my opinion NOT because of the sales method, rather because without a network of dealers they do not have enough of a service presence. Trust me I know.

And lastly part of the reason Tesla used prices were artificially high is because Tesla was buying used units off the market and putting it back on their own controlled site, which is a practice most people were not aware of. Used prices started dropping when they stopped that a year or so ago.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts