Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally happy with this one; thought I'd share. I purchased this Pormido from Amazon, based upon the reviews / the purported night / anti-glare capabilities. definitely lives up to it (works extremely well at night.)

I installed the rear cam slightly differently than the other installs i've seen posted, thought it worth describing. Instead of running the cables down under the trunk weather seal, and then into the headliner (or mounting on the headliner itself, which i think looks less than optimal,) I ran the cable along the one of the existing cable runs into the cabin, and then made a small hole in the gasket to feed it through. It was a bit laborious to run the cable this way (and a bit nerve wracking getting my hand under the headliner to retrieve the cable,) but the end result looks super clean. This pic is pretty terrible, I'll snap a better one later, but you'll get the idea.

on the left, you can see a bit of the cable, but that's all that's visible. Basically, run it through the grommet, pulll it out back into the trunk, and then feed it back in under the headliner up to the front of the car.

camera / view out the rear (for comparison)

new view - slightly different :)

I used an obd2-->mini usb for power. piece of cake.

Happy to answer any q's!

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
121 Posts
Yeah, no pics, but every interested to see more!

·
Registered
855 Posts
With the sophistication of electronics today, wouldn’t you think there would be a wireless solution to this issue?

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
69 Posts
Or integrated into the computer CPU and utilize the 360 camera (I believe McRat or someone said a few months ago)

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
121 Posts
With the sophistication of electronics today, wouldn’t you think there would be a wireless solution to this issue?
Perahps some day, though the limitation is going to be that it's going to require a power source. Anything with a battery wouldn't last long at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are plenty of wireless cams on the market, but you have the same wiring issues, generally - you'd need to find a wire carrying switched 12v, (requiring disassembly of the harness at the point where it enters the cabin, and some testing with a multimeter)

Running the wires up to the front of the car is trivially easy in this car, so the main benefit of wireless is generally negated, and I prefer the stability of wired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about a screen powered by the actual light hitting the screen - in other words an old fashioned mirror!
Ha! Our rear view is so compromised in this car. A digital rearview solves for the truncated view caused by the massive rear headrests (as well as the rear design itself,) helping to eliminate the rear blindspots.

Check out my pictures of the view with and without camera. It's pretty dramatic.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
905 Posts
There are plenty of wireless cams on the market, but you have the same wiring issues, generally - you'd need to find a wire carrying switched 12v, (requiring disassembly of the harness at the point where it enters the cabin, and some testing with a multimeter)

Running the wires up to the front of the car is trivially easy in this car, so the main benefit of wireless is generally negated, and I prefer the stability of wired.
Most vehicles have power sockets in the rear part of the car. Ours do. Easy tap into them for 12V switched power.

There's a fuse panel in the right rear of the I-PACE where one can probably tap into for its own circuit, if desired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most vehicles have power sockets in the rear part of the car. Ours do. Easy tap into them for 12V switched power.

There's a fuse panel in the right rear of the I-PACE where one can probably tap into for its own circuit, if desired.
Sure. That still doesn't solve for how to get the wiring into the trunk (remember, the camera gets mounted on the hatch.) You still have to route the cable for power, (in this case, the only aesthetically pleasing option is to go through the same spot that I routed mine,) and if you're going to go to the trouble of cable routing (the hard part is exactly the same with wired or wireless,) you may as well go wired. Same effort for a suboptimal end result. Once you're through the hatch and into the cabin, it literally takes 5 minutes to route the cable over to the mirror.

You could mount the camera directly on the headliner, but it ends up looking very tacked-on and obvious from in the cabin.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
523 Posts
Ha! Our rear view is so compromised in this car. A digital rearview solves for the truncated view caused by the massive rear headrests (as well as the rear design itself,) helping to eliminate the rear blindspots.

Check out my pictures of the view with and without camera. It's pretty dramatic.
Never had a problem with what I need to see behind the car. Between mirror, rear view camera and side mirrors. Plus for those of us with near focus issues, the rear camera screen 18" from my face is a problem. Everyone to their own though - seems you did a great install job.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts
We drove a new 2020 Defender today and I will admit the digital rearview mirror and PiviPro are AMAZING!!!!!! If 2021 I-Pace get these...B I G upgrade. We were blown away!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sure. That still doesn't solve for how to get the wiring into the trunk (remember, the camera gets mounted on the hatch.) You still have to route the cable for power, (in this case, the only aesthetically pleasing option is to go through the same spot that I routed mine,) and if you're going to go to the trouble of cable routing (the hard part is exactly the same with wired or wireless,) you may as well go wired. Same effort for a suboptimal end result. Once you're through the hatch and into the cabin, it literally takes 5 minutes to route the cable over to the mirror.

You could mount the camera directly on the headliner, but it ends up looking very tacked-on and obvious from in the cabin.
I like your cabling solution between the mirror and the rear cam, will probably do the same on my Jag.
Three questions.
Can you please detail a bit more the electrical 12V connection?
Are you using the Pormido accessory for looping the rear cam when car is parked?
Do you connected the GPS antenna too?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like your cabling solution between the mirror and the rear cam, will probably do the same on my Jag.
Three questions.
Can you please detail a bit more the electrical 12V connection?
Are you using the Pormido accessory for looping the rear cam when car is parked?
Do you connected the GPS antenna too?

thanks in advance
The easiest solution I found is a cable adapter that goes from our obd2 port and outputs mini usb. The one I purchased has a selector - auto off after 5 minutes, or continuous power with a low voltage shutdown. The mirror also has a low power parking mode that goes into standby / activates upon detected vibration.

Tbh, I'm not using this as a dashcam at all - I'm solely using the rear cam as a mirror.

I did notice some strange behavior when I tried out the front cam - I think the obd2 adapter is not putting out enough voltage to power the mirror and the 2 cams. I wasn't too concerned, as this wasn't my objective, but if you desire the front cam, you'll likely want to hardwire (over to the rear seat)

I didn't bother with a gps antenna. The display on the mirror is nifty, but there are already too many cables connected to the unit as I see it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The easiest solution I found is a cable adapter that goes from our obd2 port and outputs mini usb. The one I purchased has a selector - auto off after 5 minutes, or continuous power with a low voltage shutdown. The mirror also has a low power parking mode that goes into standby / activates upon detected vibration.

Tbh, I'm not using this as a dashcam at all - I'm solely using the rear cam as a mirror.

I did notice some strange behavior when I tried out the front cam - I think the obd2 adapter is not putting out enough voltage to power the mirror and the 2 cams. I wasn't too concerned, as this wasn't my objective, but if you desire the front cam, you'll likely want to hardwire (over to the rear seat)

I didn't bother with a gps antenna. The display on the mirror is nifty, but there are already too many cables connected to the unit as I see it.
Yes, odb voltage is a solution but I have an ODBII transmitter already connected (Power Cruise Control software) so can’t use that.
Will hardwire the 12V source.
So I can do that over the rear seat....hmm do you mean inside the gasket where other cables run?
Did you connected the red wire to let cam commute to the rear drive?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, odb voltage is a solution but I have an ODBII transmitter already connected (Power Cruise Control software) so can’t use that.
Will hardwire the 12V source.
So I can do that over the rear seat....hmm do you mean inside the gasket where other cables run?
Did you connected the red wire to let cam commute to the rear drive?
Sorry, I meant that theres a switched fuse in the fuse box by the passenger rear seat that can be tapped (its posted about in a thread somewhere in the archives, it's a 5a fuse for possibly the blind spot warning?)

The red wire is just for activating the backup lines when the car gets shifted into reverse - I didn't see that as necessary

1 - 20 of 26 Posts