Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're going to be left alone on a desert island for a year. You get one music album. It has to be a real album, not a best of, a various artists mix, a soundtrack, or single. One album. One band, artist, orchestra, etc. Also say why.

Choose the album you'd want.
Then choose the funniest answer you can think of.

I'll start.

Want: White Album by the Beatles. So many amazing songs in such a great variety.
Funny: Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Lots of naked women because I'll get lonely.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. My favorite all time. Great lyrics, cutting edge music effects (for the day) and of course the track "Money" which drives the U.S. Second place - any Louis Armstrong album!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The Ventures. Not sure which one. They are an instrumental cover band, probably most famous for 'Walk, Don't Run', 'Peter Gunn theme', or 'Wipe-out'. I usually salt my mix USBs with a healthy dose of the Ventures.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Ventures. Not sure which one. They are an instrumental cover band, probably most famous for 'Walk, Don't Run', 'Peter Gunn theme', or 'Wipe-out'. I usually salt my mix USBs with a healthy dose of the Ventures.
I also like Dick Dale and is Del-Tones for similar reasons - example Misirlou.
But that wouldn't be my one album.

Tough choice between Pink Floyd and the Eagles, but I'm going with Desperado by the Eagles. It tells an entire story, much like Tommy or Quadrophenia.
I really don't like playing the "which is your favorite child" game, but there it is. I'm in the game.

Funniest? Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere album. If I'm on a Desert Island for too long, well.... I may be crazy.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are all older than me.

Those are great albums, every one, but I think they matter more if they're from a special time in your life.

If there's one album that truly affected my love for music, it's Appetite for Destruction by Guns and Roses. Others were Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys, Sex Packets by Digital Underground, and Pretty Hate Machine by NIN. Growing up in the 80s, I guess.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think you are all older than me.
You chose the White Album and Electric Ladyland and you're young?

If I have to choose one album I won't go. Listening to the same songs for a year? Why the punishment? I can turn on most radio stations and hear music I've already heard thousands of times.

Dick Dale was awesome. So was Pink Floyd but I'll take Dale because I haven't heard it thousands of times.

I'll pick something less than a decade old. I really can't choose just one.

P.S. Check your dates. Pink Floyd anything and Hotel California are quite a bit newer than the White Album.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would chose some double album. That's a no brainer to me.

The White Album and Electric Ladyland are truly excellent choices imo. I'd give both high consideration.

I'd also consider The Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore, and Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. Old friends that both take me on a sonic journey (in very different ways, of course).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Pretty Hate Machine by NIN.
Not bad. I like Reznor too. But if I'm going, I'll take my axe...... no not that kind, this one:

The Jackson Warrior. I'll bring my baby Marshall amp (must have at a minimum) a bass player and drummer, and we'll play something that'll rock the island. Maybe some Keychain.

When we're feeling nostalgic, maybe some Bizkit. Notice what Wes Borland is shredding on.

Or Saliva.

And when we want to get plain ugly, maybe some Mudvayne from L.D.50

Just for fun we could do some Dick Dale.

But I'm not playing left-handed with my guitar upside-down. Sorry Dick.

For my bass player, I'm bringing Anna Sentina. I won't get lonely.

Any girl who can play the Primus version of Metallica Master of Puppets could teach me a few licks. :wink2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Speaking of Anna (I forgot to add this).....

They sit there so calmly while shredding this original metal head number. Anna on the 5-string and Ryan Glisan on a 7-string. Amazing....

I wouldn't know what to do with a 7-string guitar.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If this is a 'best album ever' contest, it's a tie between.....

But there are so many others. Jethro Tull, Ted Nugent, Joe Satriani, Rory Gallagher, Tommy Bolin, Return To Forever, Foghat, Montrose.......

·
Registered
113 Posts
My album would be Kid A by Radiohead.

Serious reason: Best album of a great band, who wrote music unlike anything else at the time.
Funny reason: This album was the soundtrack to many of my "firsts" when I was a teenager (keepin' it clean, this is a family forum!), so would have lots of good memories during my island time...
:wink2:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you really did enjoy the Beasties, try something a little more current. Serial Joe reminds me of them a lot.
Serial Joe sounds like Rage Against the Machine to me. Nothing like the Beastie Boys. That isn't a bad thing. Just different.

You chose the White Album and Electric Ladyland and you're young?

P.S. Check your dates. Pink Floyd anything and Hotel California are quite a bit newer than the White Album.
Ladyland is for the ladies on the album cover, who are myriad and unclad. Desert island...

Clapton, Dick Dale, the Beach Boys, and so on... they're more appealing to fans of their eras. The Beatles? They're timeless. My kids have heard Clapton songs before, but they know the Beatles well.

My album would be Kid A by Radiohead.

Serious reason: Best album of a great band, who wrote music unlike anything else at the time.
Funny reason: This album was the soundtrack to many of my "firsts" when I was a teenager (keepin' it clean, this is a family forum!), so would have lots of good memories during my island time...
:wink2:
That is a great album, no doubt, and it spawned a big change in music. It's music for the people who grew up with it, but it's not one of those timeless albums.

What else is timeless? Who is going to be listened to 50 years from now? 100 years? 200 years?

Zeppelin, maybe
Rolling Stones, maybe
Leonard Bernstein
Leonard Cohen
Rodgers and Hammerstein
Jazz greats like Mingus, Coltrane, Davis, Ellington, Armstrong
Classical music
Jay-Z, maybe
Tupac
Dr. Dre produced music
Michael Jackson
Queen
The Who - mainly for Tommy
Prince, maybe
Pink Floyd, maybe

Let me put it this way. I can go to a room of Asian elementary students whose parents weren't born in the US and who don't teach their kids about US music. If I sing to them a few Beatles songs, most if not all the kids will have recognized something. They won't know Zeppelin, though. They will know some Queen, especially We Will Rock You, We are the Champions, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Many know Sound of Music and some musicals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts