Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Delivery delays in Germany / I-Pace contract

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Katatonic 
#1 ·
I ordered an I-Pace FE in March, 2018. I also paid the deposit in August 2017. Jaguar confirmed they received the deposit. The estimated delivery date at the time of ordering was August / September 2018. It has shifted several times since that time. First to October 2018, later to December 2018 and now they informed me about a production slot in January 2019. But even that date is not fully confirmed by now. Prioritisation of deliveries for certain markets and maybe some other issues are pushing back my order quite significantly. By now it's 6 months and it seems to be increasing every day.

I wonder how long the lead time of new orders in Germany will be right now. I heard some rumours about November / Dezember 2019 (yes, not 2018).

An early 2019 delivery is too late for me. I've to get a replacement for my other car in December 2018.

Is somebody interested in taking over my contract for an I-Pace FE (options should still be configurable, but I ordered it in photon red with light oyster interior) ? Otherwise I'll cancel the order.

Delivery will be by a local dealer in the northern part of Germany.

See less See more
#6 ·
I would not be surprised if Jaguar does what many automakers do with EVs. Sell in California or other 'carbon credits' markets with high demand first. They make more money that way.
There are a handful of California Only EV and PHEV models in the US. We call these Compliance Cars, but it really has nothing to do with compliance and everything to do with maximizing profit. If you lose money selling a car, but get smaller losses in California, you sell to California.

The ironic part is California's government actually wants Hydrogen Cars more than electric cars, and pays most credits and rebates for them, as well as spending more on H2 infrastructure than EV infrastructure. Crazy world. Whenever the government needs to wet their beak in a big pond of tax money, they get very sloppy doing it.

#7 ·
@McRat. Very interesting. There's also the marketing / competition aspect .. if you're ambitious you take on Tesla on their home turf.

@Hannes, Guten Tag. Are Jaguar conceding the German market to the Germans, hoping to make bigger gains against the Germans and Americans in the US market instead? Their production limits may force them to choose among markets. They could also choose to concentrate expertise in the US given that one full year of production is going to Waymo.

#8 ·
No signs of any delays in Switzerland, though.
I ordered mine (a fully loaded HSE, not a FE) in March and the confirmed delivery date is still end of October 2018.

I was even able to do a prober test drive last week.
The dealer in Switzerland just had to perform a manual software update and now they are allowed to give their cars to the customers for testing.

#10 ·
I had the car for 1.5 hours and it was a FE in Corris Grey and 20" wheels.
It was the second time I was sitting behind the wheel of an I-Pace but the first time I really had the chance to give it a proper test drive.

Coming from a Porsche Boxster the first impression is the high seating position but that was expected :wink2:
The standard seats are not my favourit and I'm happy that I've ordered mine with the Performance seats which I tried in Geneva.

Then I took it on the streets and my main goal for the test was to figure if she can satisfy my needs for sportiness and driving pleasure.
And I can say..... yes she does :laugh:

The car feels lighter as it is and on an open country road it is really fun to drive.
She doesn't like tight curves too much and starts to understeer when you overdrive her but that's something you can expect from any SUV-type vehicle.
The Porsche Macan isn't better in this territory.
The steering feel isn't bad but still a little bit too soft for my taste. Maybe this can be adjusted in the vehicle settings.
The car had the air suspension and I was driving it in the lowest position all the time.
If I had the chance I would lower it even more.

Once you have adjusted to the way it drives you can easely break into the curves by just lifting the throttle padel.
Especially overtaking is exciting because of the instant torque.
Acceleration from a standing start is not as exciting as with a Tesla or a Porsche.
It seems the computer is delaying the start for a second to prepare the battery and the motors and that feels like a turbo lag.

As you can get from my writing things like power consumption and range are not my concern.
I typically don't drive more than 200 km per day and therefore don't care too much if it does 400 km or only 300 km per charge.
During my test I had a average consumption of 25 kW/100km which is reasonable.

I also played around with the board computer and the Infotainment system quiet a bit.
I expected the worst and was surprised how good it worked.
It is not the fastest systems on the market and some times you have to wait for the next graphic to show up but overall it worked pretty good.
The BMW and Porsche systems I'm used to aren't some much better as many have stated.
I believe I will be able to manage it after a short time.

Overall I'm excited and can't wait to get the hands on my own I-Pace in October.

Cheers
I-Pacer

Attachments

#12 ·
During my test I had a average consumption of 25 kW/100km which is reasonable...
If my math is right, that's just over 200 miles per charge when 'driven like Jaguar'?

Documents say you can alter the steering effort, throttle response, and suspension dampening if optioned out that way.

I would think the dealer would set the car to Comfort settings for test drives?

Did you try the 'self-steering' system?

#17 ·
I don't think so. In TopGear's 5 part test of the I-Pace, part 4 was taking it to the drag races:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/br...-pace-test-part-4-can-it-win-over-petrolheads

Here's an exerpt from the review:

The Jag doesn’t get away well. As the Christmas tree flashes green, I lift my left foot from the brake and flatten the throttle. Getaways are almost painfully easy in the electric age. But unlike a Tesla, which leaps away with the instantaneous fizz of a rifle bullet, the Jag’s onboard computers appear to require half a second of thinking time. “Oh crivens old bean, you’d like the full beans, would you? Right then, let me just pop that into the equation machine, speak to Mr Traction Control, and yes, that all seems to be in order. Off you go then.”

In that fractional pause as the maths is worked out and the Jag rears up, my opponent hasn’t so much accelerated ahead as exploded into a different time zone. Never mind, he might have a blowout, or a tankslapper, or just break down. Far too many moving parts and hot bits in those V8s. Everything’s still to play f…oh, Freddy’s finished. Whoops.

#15 ·
IIRC, Tesla recently added a 'chill mode' to reduce off-the-line acceleration.
It is possible Jag's 'comfort' setting has programmed lag that matches normal ICE cars to make new EV owners more at home.

#18 ·
IIRC, Tesla recently added a 'chill mode' to reduce off-the-line acceleration.
When I have passengers I drive with Performance off, and I would drive with Chill but for the fact that it does not have kick-down (an omission IMHO). Jumping out, for example, onto a roundabout (i.e. when there is only a short gap) is very unnerving for passengers if they aren't expecting it ... so Performance is kept for solo driving and Demos.

But many people, myself included, on Tesla forums say that performance model is unnecessary. 90% of my driving is on highway cruising at 10-over, and although i do do some solo trips on country roads around here, and like to hustle, even then I don't really need it. Expensive option, on Tesla, now too. EV response is instant, so if I am following a car and coming to a bend where I know there is a straight ahead and overtaking opportunity ... in old ICE days I would change down before the bend, have all the noise and vibration, in order to "be ready", and then find there was traffic coming and change back again ... in EV I just come round the corner, see the road is clear, and Squirt :) Much much nicer all round.

Need the Jag to be No Lag though :)

#21 ·
Someone will have to datalog and play with it. It's most like 'torque management' tables, aka - 'abuse control'.
Turning TC off could actually have a negative effect since the axles are open differentials.
And the retail flash is not necessarily what Top Gear tested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.