Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I purchased my I-Pace in April 2019, SE version straight of the dealership showroom floor...fell in love with it immediately. Previously, I have owned 6 Chevy Volts from its intro in 2013 to 2018. Awesome little vehicle never, ever let me down! Never had ANY problem with ANY one of the Volts I owned from the 2013 Chevy intro model, which I leased vs purchased because of my concern about the EV technology at the time. I still have one of the 2018 Volts...just in case...glad I did.

The problems I have had with the I-Pace seem to be one after the other...mostly software updates. Can't tell you how many times I have backed out of the garage to have my whole dash panel go dark. I turn it off and then restart...it usually works at the restart. Like hitting the dash on the Millennium Falcon to go to hyper drive.

The customer service I have received from my dealership over the past near 10 months is hugely lacking to say the least. I guessed I am amazed. When I purchased this $84,000 plus vehicle I expected the customer/technician service to be a 'gold standard' for the industry. Not the case. I talk with my Tesla owner friends and they have no issues with the service they receive. And like me, are amazed the dealership service group is not proactive! The service department at the local Chevy dealer always made me feel like I was a valued customer each and every time I went in for periodic maintenance/service.

In mid-December, my I-Pace decided not to lock...not at all...all doors were unlock-able. I had to go back to my trusty Volt! A week and a half later I had an appointment to get it fixed at the dealership...and after two days, and tech's telling me the I-Pace 'hard drive' crashed and they had to go to 'England' to get the fix I was, well, surprised. Now I don't no where I'll be at any point in time where I may find my I-Pace has decided to NOT do something, such as not locking!

Then there's the roll back. I had a software update in July 2019 and now the I-Pace rolls backwards on a gradient from a stop before I can hit the accelerator peddle...just like a manual transmission would do. It did not do it before the July software update. One more thing to be concerned about now. I told the dealer's service rep during my December visit and nothing to show for it...no concern on their part...the I-Pace still does the roll back from a stop on a hill...so I am living with it.

Then there is the ambient light in the center console...that compartment just below the lower touchscreen for wallets, keys, phone, etc. ...there is a light in there. Except after my July 2019 service it stopped working. The other ambient lights throughout the vehicle still work. For my December 2019 service I asked for the tech to take a look at it and see what the problem was. At vehicle pick-up they told me is was a sensor...and they had looked at other I-Paces on the lot and none of those compartments lighted up. So off I drove totally dissatisfied with the work. I've made multiple calls to the dealership only to have to go the Jaguar North America for the answer. The answer is, it's a light...not a sensor. In fact if you go to any interior view of the I-Pace and look to the center console, you'll see the compartment lite up. So after a month, I am now taking the I-Pace back to the dealership for it to 'get looked at' one more time. I'll struggle through but I just don't get it.

The I-Pace...it's not the vehicle's fault it needs some minor tweaks from time to time...but where do I go for that proper tweak or two...the technical service. Page 6 of the 2019 I-Pace brochure says, under Peace of Mind..."What's more, you'll always have the full support of our established Jaguar Retailer network and highly-trained technicians who know your Jaguar inside and out." Really, at my dealership they don't know if a light is a light or sensor! They check other I-Paces for the technical solution rather than contact Jaguar North America for the right answer...which I had to do for them!!! Most disappointed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The light issue is one of a class that several of us have dealt with: updates are applied with the wrong equipment codes or which reset equipment codes, causing optional equipment to become disabled because the car gets configured to believe the option is not installed. AFAIK, the light in that center console is active in vehicles with the configurable ambient interior lighting option, but not without it. Do you have the configurable ambient light option installed? If so check the menus - I’d guess it’s no longer available. On the other hand if you don’t have the configurable ambient light package installed it was probably configured incorrectly before and is now correct, unfortunately.

Sorry you’ve been having these sort of issues. I sometimes feel like JLR service techs are like old school shade tree mechanics who don’t get - and don’t want to get - the totally computer controlled cars of today.

·
Registered
140 Posts
VaderFX ...The I-Pace does have its software issues, which all owners have experienced from one extreme to another — simply an annoyance to as bad as dangerous. However, it really sounds like your dealer is lacking in experience with the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ambient Lighting

Appreciate the comments. In my response back from Jaguar North America, their technicians said I should see an 'Ambient Lighting' setting in the Extra Features screen (page 194 of the I-Pace 2019 owners manual). I checked. An Ambient Lighting setting in my I-Pace's Extra Features does not exist.

I was able to match up 16 of the 17 Extra Feature settings shown in the owners manual, but not the one for Ambient Lighting. I do not have the Congfigureable Ambient Lighting option on my I-Pace. From Jaguar North America's techs, having a Configurable Ambient Lighting option was not a prerequisite for the Extra Features setting for Ambient Lighting...they had the VIN and I am assuming (probably a bad idea) they matched the VIN to see what options my I-Pace has.

So, coding/re-coding may be the problem. Maybe the 'cubby' ambient light shouldn't work, but why would engineers only light up the carpet between the foot area of the driver and front seat passenger (totally useless) with ambient lighting and not light-up the cubby...just doesn't make any sense to me based on how marvelously the I-Pace is engineered. And...Jaguar North America confirmed it is ambient lighting in cubby area.

Also, looking closer at the terminology used for 'center console'...I was using the wrong term. The owners manual points out that the center console as being between driver and passenger front seats - arm rest area. The Ambient Lighting I referred to in my previous post was that 'cubby' just below the 5" touch screen, falling just below the dashboard.

Anyway, I drive to work in the dark. Things I put in that 'cubby' could use a light. So, a couple of weeks ago I purchased BukNikis USB Simple Atmosphere Lights USB Car Interior Accessories Lighting - Universal (Aqua Ice Blue, 2 pcs). They are really low profile and fit nicely into the cubby's two USB ports. Awesome! It gave me the lighting I wanted for that tiny area and the color actually matched the existing ambient lighting color perfectly.

And then...within a couple of seconds the LEDs started to flash intermittently. I then placed them in the USB ports facing the rear seats...same thing. I had bought two sets, so I tried the other LEDs, in case the first two were faulty. Same thing. I then tried another LED light in all the USB ports...same intermittent flashing. I plugged the LEDs into my computers USB ports...worked perfectly, no flashing.

Which leads me to think the configuration of the Extra Features setting (which is currently not showing an Ambient Lighting setting option), the 'cubby ambient light, and the intermittent power fluctuation observed at each of the I-Paces USB ports may be related in some way. Hard to believe something so simple now has grown into something even more interesting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have them test your two 12V batteries. My smaller one went out and it was the one causing all kinds of codes and faults. It had a bad cell, dealer replace it in about 1 hour.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You only mention reprogramming in July. Jaguar produced an update referred to as H264 that consists of a roll-up of various fixes plus more. It's a major update and you should have received a letter. Mention this to the dealer if it hasn't been done. Ignore this post if the update has been done.

You can get a no charge access to Topix, put in your VIN and get a full listing of the features that are supposed to be on your car. It is more comprehensive that the window sticker that my list packages that don't list the finer details of what is included.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Copy...that update was done with the mid-December update...the one that crashed my I-Pace's 'hard drive' multiple times.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine would not lock the doors from outside or with the fobs after H264 too. Dealer let it sit inside their shop overnight with doors locked (but a window down to reach the inside buttons). Everything returned to normal when they arrived for work the next morning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This answer is probably not terrifically satisfying, but our dealer was woefully under prepared to handle I Pace issues at first, and it seemed like the software bugs were slow to be worked out last spring. But over time, the dealer has gotten better/more experienced, and it seems like each successive update things have improved. Really, our cars have been quite stable, at least compared to some others on this forum. Give it time, and consider it the price of being an early adopter in an awesome car....things will keep improving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
These issue sounds like annoyances and not a reason to dislike the car.

I think the drive, comfort, and luxurious feel of the car outweighs these issues. Everyone who purchased an IPACE somehow has to know deep down that this is early adaptable technology and expect some tweaks.

Look at Tesla when they first came out with the Model 3. Lots of issues with fit and finish, screen, batteries, motors etc and it turned out to be the best selling car because knew it was early technology and the comfortable ride and nice look outweighed these issues.

I too tried the usb lights and had the flashing issue except for the USB port inside the arm rest. Must be a way that jaguar figured out that people can get the same effect with a $6 usb that ambient lighting can provide. I also do not have a light for the cubby hole while driving. Has been this way since I bought it and it does not bother me one but. I notice the map not coming on at times at the drivers screen and all I do is reset the map
And it comes back. Not big enough of an issue to take it to the dealer. I am hoping the update I am scheduled for fixes these small issues.

Good luck with your car. If you continue to focus on the small imperfections, you will never enjoy the car as a whole. I can honestly say that IPACE brought back the fun in driving for me after driving for 30 years. I do not regret this lease one bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In general few of the ICE car mechanics are loving EV's because they see it as a job threat. The smart ones into computers are jumping into it big time.

In the future money with EV's will be made in upgrading the electric motors, better battery technology replacements and tires etc..

Also software for iPad, phones and the in car display stuff for go faster better traction and such goodies will become the new "Car Mechanics Paradise" so the ones with those skills will do well.

I am sure all the farriers back in the day felt the same when the model T came along and suddenly horseshoes were a niche thang.

Most of the old school ICE mechanics I see as dinosaurs and they don't like it one little but but they are just yesterdays hero.

Really, electric motors much simpler than ICE engines but a whole new industry is coming offering better electric motor and battery experiences for owners of EVs.

The smart ones will adapt, the dumb ones will die.

That is how life goes these days...change is constant.

Since I started my career in computers back in 1984 I have been trained and certified on over 200 new technologies. Its just the way it is. Welcome to the new world car mechanics....

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are lucky that you only have these problems. Mine has the horrible squeaky brakes which the dealership refuses to fix. Listen here: www.jaguaripaceproblems.com

This car is definitely not ready for prime time and the loss in value is huge. My dealer offered my $52K on an $86K car after one month.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
264 Posts
In general few of the ICE car mechanics are loving EV's because they see it as a job threat. The smart ones into computers are jumping into it big time.

In the future money with EV's will be made in upgrading the electric motors, better battery technology replacements and tires etc..

Also software for iPad, phones and the in car display stuff for go faster better traction and such goodies will become the new "Car Mechanics Paradise" so the ones with those skills will do well.

I am sure all the farriers back in the day felt the same when the model T came along and suddenly horseshoes were a niche thang.

Most of the old school ICE mechanics I see as dinosaurs and they don't like it one little but but they are just yesterdays hero.

Really, electric motors much simpler than ICE engines but a whole new industry is coming offering better electric motor and battery experiences for owners of EVs.

The smart ones will adapt, the dumb ones will die.

That is how life goes these days...change is constant.

Since I started my career in computers back in 1984 I have been trained and certified on over 200 new technologies. Its just the way it is. Welcome to the new world car mechanics....
I hope none of your good friends are ICE mechanics. ?
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with a trained professional sticking to what they possibly do very well, so long as there are opportunities available to earn a decent living. With EV sales at <5% of overall sales, ICE mechanics will be in jobs for many years to come.
Frankly. I would expect any electronics/software issues will in the future be diagnosed remotely, and fixed by downloads or resets. Think remote PC techs.
The mechanical components of the car - suspension, brakes, body etc will still need repairing/servicing. These cars are "just" new to the service techs, I'm sure Henry Ford had the same issues to address.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are lucky that you only have these problems. Mine has the horrible squeaky brakes which the dealership refuses to fix. Listen here: www.jaguaripaceproblems.com

This car is definitely not ready for prime time and the loss in value is huge. My dealer offered my $52K on an $86K car after one month.

Our 2020 iPace has the same annoying noise, even when the car is stopped and you press the pedal. Dealer says it is the electric brake booster system (not the actual brakes) and is ‘normal’. If so it is very uncharacteristic of Jaguar to allow such a fault to go into production.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine did that as well but they fixed it in a software Update in June. Sounds to me like the different Jaguar dealers all over the place do not have good EV techs?

That brake squeal problem was mighty annoying until they fixed the problem and they told me it is a problem. Anyone with this problem needs to insist the dealer fixes it.

Cole European in Walnut Creek is my dealer by the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Indeed. I have a few ICE pals. I tell them their days are numbered every time I see them. We laugh and joke, we still grill steaks and swill beers...

How often do cars need new suspensions and such bits? It going to be very easy when everything is all electric.

Some of these electric motors in some EVs are built so well with such over engineered rare earth materials I honestly see them as immortal.

Many Governments are drastically pulling the time for Electric only vehicles way ahead of the original schedule. If Boris got his way, tomorrow over Bacon and eggs with the odd kipper, Petrol and Diesel would be banned instantly.

I see many of the EU folk following suit.

Once a California Tree Hugger is in the white house it may become instant here!!

Never say never! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts