Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Ipace HSE 2020
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After been travelling for 9 weeks I came home to my IPace and I can't open it.
The car is dead, even though I had a confirmation on my Jaguar Remote App 13th of July that I had 317km left on my battery.
Today no signs of energy in the car.

So I tried opening it up with the "emergency key" so I can now get in to the car but it's still dead.

I have tried to open the charging door but it won't open. So I can't charge it...

Could it be a software update that my car just could't upload since I was away?

Any ideas on how to solve this appart from taking it to the garage???

Thanks
Jessica

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like a dead 12v battery.

If you have a trickle charger or jumper cables, you may be able to bring it back to life. Are you familiar with the emergency procedures for opening the hood?

·
Registered
Ipace HSE 2020
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a dead 12v battery.

If you have a trickle charger or jumper cables, you may be able to bring it back to life. Are you familiar with the emergency procedures for opening the hood?
No I'm not 🤦‍♀️
Are you talking about a "normal car battery" and not the "EV battery"

What do I need to do?

·
Registered
216 Posts
In the front passenger leg space there is a large (~2inch) cylindrical knob that screw into a bolt. It is on the outer side of the foot well underneath the glovebox.

It takes a while to unscrew the knob. Once it's off, you'll see a cable looped around the stud that the knob was on. This keeps it from going somewhere else behind the carpet and padding. You just have to loop your finger through it and give a light pull. The hood/bonnet/frunk should pop open allowing access to the 12v battery.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No I'm not 🤦‍♀️
Are you talking about a "normal car battery" and not the "EV battery"

What do I need to do?
To be clear, I'm talking about a "normal car battery" and not the "EV battery". If you can get the frunk open, you can access the "normal car battery" under a plastic cover and try to resurrect it enough to get the car started.

·
Registered
Ipace HSE 2020
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the front passenger leg space there is a large (~2inch) cylindrical knob that screw into a bolt. It is on the outer side of the foot well underneath the glovebox.

View attachment 5913

It takes a while to unscrew the knob. Once it's off, you'll see a cable looped around the stud that the knob was on. This keeps it from going somewhere else behind the carpet and padding. You just have to loop your finger through it and give a light pull. The hood/bonnet/frunk should pop open allowing access to the 12v battery.
Wow, ok Thanks
Will go out and try this right now.(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 5913

Why is there any need for a 12 volt battery ? Are you sure this is correct ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nearly all EVs, including Tesla still have a 12v battery for 'legacy' reasons. if it doesn't get charged then it drops below the voltage needed for the car to function. it seems like some versions of the Jag software don't do this. I can personally leave my car for weeks and the traction battery (the big one :)) will top up the 12v one as needed, but others seem to suffer repeated failure. Worth checking with the dealer. it should not happen and it doesn't happen to most of us.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi,

The car is dead, even though I had a confirmation on my Jaguar Remote App 13th of July that I had 317km left on my battery.

So I tried opening it up with the "emergency key" so I can now get in to the car but it's still dead.

I have tried to open the charging door but it won't open. So I can't charge it...

Thanks
Jessica
All advice here is correct. Oddly, 12V batteries are the bane of EVs. Teslas have issues too.
After you get the car working, definitely take it to the dealer for a software update. We went 3 months without driving and it was fine. You can also install a trickle charger on the battery. As it is, you need a jump start, more or less.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hopefully Jess responds with an update. It seems like the earlier models with dual 12v batteries and the latest software have largely fixed this issue. If I'm traveling, I can see the 12v voltage going up and down over time on the third-party apps until the car goes into deep sleep. Based on my less than scientific review of this forum and the UK one, most of the recent 12v complaints tend to come from older cars with older software and newer ones with a single 12v battery.

Also, in my haste to get Jess some instructions for opening the hood/bonnet/frunk before I left for work, I didn't give credit to Ayepace and Qtown charger whose posts I shamelessly copy/pasted.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
26 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Jessica
Hi Jess,

Take a look at Ayepace's posting below for future reference. I did almost the same just in case the battery dies so tha tIC an jump the car w/o resorting to the emergency frunk release in the passenger foot well. I also trickle charge it from time to time when I do not drive the car for 1W-2W. It is very simple to do. Took me prob 15min to do it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 12V battery is not just to power legacy electronics, it's also used to power the relays (or contactors) which connect the traction battery when you start the car. Without the 12V battery EVs have a sort of chicken-or-the-egg problem with the traction battery connection.

·
Registered
447 Posts
... and if the 12v battery does not provide enough juice to the electronic modules to boot properly, we get all sort of errors that have nothing to do with the module itself, but the way the module has booted incorrectly. And you will get completely misleading error messages on the screen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,
My two cents. Your fob has a key inside and once open you can use to open the door by pulling the handle out manually; key hole is behind the door handle. Then you can access the emergency releases for Frunk, etc. Recommend you use a battery booster that can easily plug into cigarette port to trickle charge the 12v regular battery to operate basic functions to start vehicle; easier than taking front compartment open. Once running the 12v will vampire charge from the EV batteries like usual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Jessica
After long travels being away from car you were suppose to set up the wake feature in the app to tell the car what day to wake up. The car goes to sleep after few days. I learned this the hard way few times. Now I learned to use feature and it never happens again. It’s called wake up timer it’s on the last page in app. Enjoy. Charge car. Reset key remote under steering wheel start car. should fix it. It’s all in the manual.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
Hello,
My two cents. Your fob has a key inside and once open you can use to open the door by pulling the handle out manually; key hole is behind the door handle. Then you can access the emergency releases for Frunk, etc.
We've had one member where that physical lock was missing and the 12V starter battery was dead.
Most people should be able to use the key. Preventing the 12V batteries from going dead in the first place is more convenient and will prolong their lives.

Recommend you use a battery booster that can easily plug into cigarette port to trickle charge the 12v regular battery to operate basic functions to start vehicle; easier than taking front compartment open. Once running the 12v will vampire charge from the EV batteries like usual.
12V sockets (cigarette port) are electrically disconnected (relays deactivated) within 15 minutes of car shutdown. The booster won't supply power to anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We've had one member where that physical lock was missing and the 12V starter battery was dead.
Most people should be able to use the key. Preventing the 12V batteries from going dead in the first place is more convenient and will prolong their lives.

12V sockets (cigarette port) are electrically disconnected (relays deactivated) within 15 minutes of car shutdown. The booster won't supply power to anything.
So a quick juicing does not work beyond 15 minutes. Yikes - was not aware. So you have to pull the frunk apart. WoW - bit of a pain than. Sure hope remote leads will become part of builds in ALL ev's in the future then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why is there any need for a 12 volt battery ? Are you sure this is correct ?
It is correct. The 12v battery is used to “start” the car and access the normal remote functions. I have had mine fail twice while the car is running and everything just stops working. Needless to say not a fan of the IPace right now. Oh and the dealer is trying to figure out why it is failing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts