Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
669 Posts
There are two 12V batteries. Did they replace the large one or the small one or both?

What is the highest charging amperage you have available?
Once the alarm starts to sound, did you use the fob to "unlock" the car and silence the alarm?
Once the alarm is silenced, lower a window (assuming enough power).
Once the car is unlocked, can you attach a home level 2 charger? It will also charge (if possible) the 12V batteries.

It is unlikely that a dealer tech would work at a home site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are two 12V batteries. Did they replace the large one or the small one or both?

What is the highest charging amperage you have available?
Once the alarm starts to sound, did you use the fob to "unlock" the car and silence the alarm?
Once the alarm is silenced, lower a window (assuming enough power).
Once the car is unlocked, can you attach a home level 2 charger? It will also charge (if possible) the 12V batteries.

It is unlikely that a dealer tech would work at a home site.
Thanks very much for the help. Fortunately I don’t actually need the car any time soon or I might be upset. As it is it’s really just an annoying fascination. It’s embarrassing how much I love this car even though this is the 3rd ridiculously random disabling event that has occurred in only 21 months.

My charger has 2/10/15 amps. Needed 10 to get past 6 volts, 15 amps just caused the charger to quit with a “F01/too heavy load” or such error.

I did use the fob to turn off the alarm, else I would be in an asylum now. But I didn’t lower a window—that didn’t occur to me (and I’m curious why that would matter?), nor did I plug in my level 2 charger. I will try those things tomorrow if time permits while I wait for the 3rd different tow truck to come that finally has the right dolly or whatever to actually move it (took 3 over 4 hours last time, on Mother’s Day), but I hit my limit on the effort I was willing to give it tonight.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Lowering the window makes it easier to get into if it gets locked again. Only do this if it is inside a secure location. The dealer will do this when it is inside their shop. If the batteries don't charge while on level 2 charger then onboard charging equipment is suspect as faulty. Level 2 charger should charge them faster than your other charger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh! Duh, on the window! Feeling a little silly(er) now . . .

It was sitting for the last two weeks plugged in to the level-2 charger the whole time . . . so I guess we're looking at bad onboard charging equipment (though the drive battery showed full before it all blew up). You asked which battery they replaced last time.--they told me the "traction battery," which was good enough for me since it worked (then). The symptoms this time are very similar to last time (though I was actually driving it last time when it blew up), though more severe this time; last time it never fully shut down, though it was immobile.

I spoke to my service manager this morning, he is going to send a tech out to swap the battery here. I'll let you know how that goes . . .

·
Registered
145 Posts
Isnt the traction battery the big battery that runs the motors? Makes me wonder if the dealers are really ready for the switch over to EVs.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Yes the traction battery is the big under-car battery.

If the car sits for 2 weeks and this happens, it probably isn't the traction battery. Either or both of the 12V batteries discharged. BECM software malfunction? BECM hardware malfunction?

If it was plugged in to the level 2 charger for 2 weeks, the charger would have indicated it was charging the vehicle at some point, or completely off. I expect the answer is it was off after the initial charge to full. At the time it reached full, the car should have turned off everything. If it didn't do that, then the 12V batteries would discharge and since the traction battery is full the Level 2 charger wasn't asked to provide electrons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the bad terminology, guys. It could have been the flux capacitor for all I know, but it was one or both of the 12v batteries. I'll ask the tech if he knows what they did then when I see him (shortly) . . . They said then they knew exactly what it was, had seen it before, they referenced the service bulletin I've seen online (maybe here?), and it was only in the shop over night, so obviously wasn't a major overhaul. As of now it seems perhaps they should have replaced the hamster wheel then . . .

Before I went to drive it yesterday, after sitting for two weeks, I checked the app. The app said it was fully charged but it did say "Charging fault" in red, which was my first indication that something was amiss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The tech came, swapped out the 12v battery on the passenger side, and it started up like nothing was ever wrong. The Traction(!) battery was in fact 100% charged. He's driving it back to the dealership now so they can try to figure out why that would have happened twice in 2 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I didn't originally intend for this turn into a play-by-play. But maybe others are interested in this since it could affect any of us.

They brought it back to me earlier today, and apart from the totally ironic smell of gasoline in the cockpit it looks/feels like new. They said the problem was the car was not going to sleep, hence the (start up) battery drain. There is a bunch of dialog on the receipt about charging/replacing the start up battery, resetting the BMS, "necessary to program multiple modules, some it was necessary to do twice," etc. They also replaced a "module-control" for the key and gave me a new backup key fob (?). The "not going to sleep" thing sounds compatible with the battery having died after sitting for two weeks, but it doesn't seem to explain to me why the battery died on Mother's Day, while I was driving the car, when I had been driving it at least sparingly every day since early March. I guess they could be two unrelated (but awfully similar) incidents/causes. But I've already proven here I am far from an EV engineer so what do I know . . . If there is any reason to update you on this issue I will, but hopefully this will be last you hear about it.

I will throw in some serious appreciation for my dealer--Jaguar of Tampa. This is the third car I've bought from them in the last ten years and they've always been a genuine pleasure to work with. I was not surprised at all that they came and changed the battery in my garage then drove it back to the dealership (leaving me a Jaguar loaner) then brought it back to me, because that is how they have always treated me as a customer. We all hope our cars work and so we will have minimal interaction with our dealers after the sale, but should one choose to buy one of the first production units of a totally new (and somewhat experimental, even) platform, it should be from a dealer like this.

And now I will go for a drive . . .

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was wondering how much battery charge the car uses when off. I would hope that it would draw from the main traction battery if needed even if turned off and the 12V batteries are getting low. ICE cars batteries will discharge if left for a several weeks in the newer cars with a lot of electronics. I used to get a message before the H264 update that my car is going to sleep when not driven for a few days - I haven't received the message since the update.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was wondering how much battery charge the car uses when off. I would hope that it would draw from the main traction battery if needed even if turned off and the 12V batteries are getting low. ICE cars batteries will discharge if left for a several weeks in the newer cars with a lot of electronics. I used to get a message before the H264 update that my car is going to sleep when not driven for a few days - I haven't received the message since the update.
The 12V batteries do not charge while the car is sitting. The owners manual recommends that if either battery voltage is low that the owner drive the car for at least 30 minutes if the outside temperature is above 32°F or for an hour if it's below freezing.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts