Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Autopilot may have saved his life and others. Would be interesting to hear the DUI defense position and I can't wait for him to sue Tesla over this.
Although I always find it interesting that Autopilot operates above the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Part of it is the marketing by Tesla, they call driver assist level “auto pilot” which it isn’t, then they say well it’s just marketing hype and people should know better. They don’t have any more advanced tech than other car makers, but others do not allow that degree of removal of driver exactly because it’s not auto pilot.

There is a bit more P. T. Barnum about Elon Musk than most Tesla fans realize....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Autopilot may have saved his life and others. Would be interesting to hear the DUI defense position and I can't wait for him to sue Tesla over this.
Although I always find it interesting that Autopilot operates above the speed limit.
Perhaps in this very specific case. But let's look at what non-AP cars do today in that situation.
Before a drunk falls asleep at the wheel, they lose the ability to steer accurately, and control their speed. Nearly everyone has cellphones, and many people call 911 to report drunks. I normally use OnStar to do it, but with Jag, I will have to use a phone.
But even if he was not called in or spotted by a LEO while awake, when he fell asleep, nearly all cars will drift right since the road is crowned, and go off the road.

With AP in this exact situation, if there was a motorcycle/stopped car AP did not see, or if the car decided to take an exit, things could have gotten very messy. Take a ramp, then blow right through an intersection.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Part of it is the marketing by Tesla, they call driver assist level “auto pilot” which it isn’t, then they say well it’s just marketing hype and people should know better. They don’t have any more advanced tech than other car makers, but others do not allow that degree of removal of driver exactly because it’s not auto pilot.

There is a bit more P. T. Barnum about Elon Musk than most Tesla fans realize....
Yes. Anyone old enough to drive should be old enough to know there is no such thing yet as a legit self-driving car.

But Mr. Musk does have to bear much of the blame. He keeps telling people that full self-driving is just around the corner. Unfortunately, some people are foolish enough to believe him, and then some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts